What buttons to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What buttons to use

I'm making an Early War Western Theater Frock Coat. I am wondering what buttons I should use. I was thinking about using Federal buttons, but wanted to ask around first.

Thank you,
    Clayton
    Bushwacker

Joseph Clayton Perry
    [email]cperry13@kc.rr.com[/email]

Spoon feed me!

That's an amazingly vague and ambiguous question.

Which side of the conflict? I presume you mean Confederate, but one never knows.

Which western theater? Being a native Californian, my idea of the western theater isn't the same a Virginian's idea or a Missourian's idea of the west.

From which state does the soldier you are attempting to portray hail? The attire provided by one state to its soldiers isn't the same as soldiers from another state. Even soldiers from the same state may have drawn clothes from different depots.

When you say, "early war," do you mean 1861 or 1862 because there is a difference. Although you're asking about the west, look at the pair of battles near Manassas. The Confederate uniforms were rather different from one battle to the next.

I presume you belong to a unit. Why don't you ask your captain or one of the nco's. If they aren't doing their respective jobs, then you might want to consider joining a different unit.

Rather than be a complete boo-bird, here are a few links which may answer your question :

A little research on google can yield a wealth of information. Books are a popular choice, too, but that requires a bit more personal effort than a quick post on the a/c forum.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: What buttons to use

Those are some good links that Mark (Silas) has provided regarding the question posed in this thread topic. I highly recommend (for those who haven't yet) to give those Lazy Jacks articles a good look over, they're quite informative. Here's there Article Index....
      http://www.lazyjacks.org.uk/article.htm
      [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

If nothing else,try Federal or civie coin buttons.Those work well for just about any impression you need.
        Just my two cents.
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Federal Eagle buttons are a good choice.
          Dennis Neal
          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

If you're looking for something wholly unique you might get in touch with Parsley Brass and get a sample of their cast brass CS enlisted man's eagle button. Those things are wonderful and definitely something that would stand out.

This style of button has been seen on only a small number of original CS garments, namely the George McDill jacket (worn during or shortly after Perryville) and an oatmeal gray kersey CS frock with Tennessee provenance (the buttons were found in the tail pocket). A few of these have also been dug but I am not exactly sure where.*

Cast or stamped brass CS infantry "I" buttons are another good choice. These have been found on all sorts of original uniforms and multiple variants have been dug east and west.

Good luck with your frock coat!

Brian White
            Wambaugh, White, & Co.
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Buttons, yet another use for wood!
              Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
              WIG/GVB
              In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

I just got done modifiing my Columus depot jacket due to the fact that my unit does alot of western re enacting but We also accosionally do thing up state and I replaced my Script I buttons with Wood button and it completely changed the appearence of my coat. I love them so much I even used the rest of the on my overcoat. BUt for early war Brass would seem more prevolent!(If thats how you spell it)

Pvt. Shelby Hull
                3rd LA and 48th OVI
                Shelby Hull
                3rd LA/ 48thOVI
                24thLA
                Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
                Bummers
                Before the Breakout
                Gettysburg '13

Comment

This somewhat depends on HOW early war you are looking at. There is a good number of descriptions of the soldiers that surrendered Ft Henry and Donelson, there was a destinct lack of military appearance among both soldiers and officers. They were comfortably clothed, but lacked any uniform. Most of this clothing was provided from donations from around the South, and much of it being described as civilian and homespun. With this in mind, I would go with either wood or civilian coin buttons. Some might say I was crazy, I might even throw on a good cloth covered button on there. I know I have seen at least one photograph of a soldier, pretty sure it was from Union City, TN (I only remember that because my dear mother is from there), with a frock of buttons that were just a little too big to be coin and much too dull. This would also go with the professed civilian appearance. Of course, this is more pointed towards 1862 AOT.

I know that this is from a little farther east, but thought it was intriguing anyways. Thomas Arliskas in his book Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown has a period description of Jackson's men captured around Port Republic, "a [slight] apology for a uniform, others citizen's clothes with flat brass buttons, and others without even a brass button to designate their calling" (49). This would be early summer '62 and in the Shenandoah Valley, VA. But interesting and topical none-the-less.
                  [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                  Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
                  Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

When the men of the 1st Missouri Brigade received their undyed white wool jeans uniforms prior to the Battle of Pea Ridge in early 1862, they were adorned with large wooden buttons. One member recalled that when offset with their black accouterment belts, the uniforms actually appeared quite striking.
                    Bob Williams
                    26th North Carolina Troops
                    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                    X