"Ensign" as an Army rank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ensign" as an Army rank

Sorry if this would best be posted in "Camp of Instruction" or elsewhere. I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

Can anybody help set me straight on how and when the rank of "Ensign" was used in the Army? I know it shows up in the pre-war Army as well as in State Militia units, and it still shows up on Civil War era rosters at least in 1861-62.

If I understand it correctly, the explanation is that the number of officers of each rank in the Regular Army was limited by law. While the top graduates from the USMA might be immediately commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants, others would be “brevetted” as 2nd Lieutenants and others still would be appointed as “Ensigns” while waiting for vacancies as Regular Army Officers to open up. Promotion was essentially by attrition. Those who deserved promotion based on merit got “brevets” to a certain rank while they retained their Regular Army rank.

Any clarification will be appreciated as well as any information as to when the Army stopped using the rank. Finally, what insignia if any would an Army 'Ensign" have worn?

Regards,

Mike Nugent

Re: "Ensign" as an Army rank

Mike,

There are two schools of thought regarding the pre-war usage of the term. The first, of course, stems from the word "ensign" itself, which was an ancient term for a flag or marker. The Navy still uses the term today, both as the lowest commissioned rank, and for the colour itself.

So, primarily, it could be found in pre-war militia units to indicate the individual that carried the flag, or the flag itself, or both. It could also refer to the 3rd Lieutenant of the company.

That it refered to the colour bearer himself, however, is supported by the late-war (1864) adoption by the Confederate government of that name for the colour-bearer of a Confederate regiment. He was considered a comissioned officer but without any command authority. It was a title and priviledge given in recognistion of the dangers entailed in his job.

Respects,
    Last edited by 1stMaine; 08-05-2007, 09:00 PM. Reason: left out a word...
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Centuries before, the rank of Ensign was used in some European armies as the rank of the color bearer. The Confederates adopted this late in the war (one of my ancestors was an Ensign in the 8th Texas Cavalry - Terry's Texas Rangers). It seems that this may have been done to give the color bearer more incentive than just making him a Sergeant.
      Now when it come to the U.S. Army, I have no idea and don't ever remember seeing any evidence this was done. (Tho I've been known to be wrong before.)
      Lee Ragan

Comment

Color bearers in the 18th century were commissioned officers, with the rank of "Ensign" being the specific term of rank. Remember "Ensign Beverly" from Richard Sheridan's "The Rivals?" I'm willing to bet the practice was defunct in the US by the 1820s. By the Civil War, the bearer in a Federal regiment was a Sergeant, guarded by Corporals.
        Making things worse for those of us who study the period, is the nineteenth century tendency to romanticize: no defense was ever made that wasn't "gallant," no horseman who wasn't a "cavalier." I suspect calling a color sergeant and ensign falls in this same category.
        Rob Weaver
        Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
        "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
        [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Per Scott's Military Dictionary an Ensign is the lowest grade of comissioned officer. The 1835 Tactics, I believe, still shows the ensign but he's in the rank of file closers, not in the color guard.
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

I had a relative in a two-year New York State regiment. Some of his service records and info on him state that he initially enlisted in the regiment as "ensign" of his company, and was shortly thereafter promoted to 2nd Lieutenant. The book, New York in the War of the Rebellion (Frederick Phisterer), however, lists him only as being mustered into the regiment as a private on July 7, 1861 and promoted 2nd Lt. on July 9, 1861, so his tenure as an "ensign" would have been brief.

I haven't done it myself, but if someone's interested enough it'd be worth calling up the Official Records on CD and searching for "ensign" (for the Army) and see how many "hits" there are, including if ensigns were authorized in any enabling laws for volunteer or regular army regiments.

Comment

1861 rosters for the 5th,7th, 9th NY and 29th NY list a Captain, a Lieutenant and an Ensign in each company. In that context it seems that "Ensign" was essentially the 2nd Lieutenant. It's not unique to NY units or to Infantry units though. That, and references to some USMA graduates initially being appointed as Ensigns prior to being commissioned as Lieutenants is what has me puzzled.

This was not it seems, simply a matter of another name for the color bearer and clearly the practice extended at least into the early years of the Civil War. Thanks all for the input, but frankly I'm still confused (not that it takes that much!)

Mike Nugent

Comment

As late as March of 1865 the rank was still in use in one NC unit - 2nd Bn NC Local Defense Troops. The unit, commanded by Lt Col. Frederick L. Childs was in charge of the Arsenal in Fayetteville, NC. Childs' Arsenal had the misfortune of being in the path of Sherman's Army as it moved through NC.

What's interesting after Sherman departed one of his subordiante officers, Ensign Hanks returned to the Arsenal to do a written report for Childs as to its condition post the exploits of the 1st Mich Engineers. In the specific volume of Rosters of NC Troops he is listed as Ensign under the officers.

So at least one unitl used the rank all the way to the end.

Wade Sokolosky
                [FONT="Times New Roman"][I]Wade Sokolosky[/I][/FONT]
                [url]www.civilwarnorthcarolina.com[/url]
                Hedgesville Blues
                SHOCKER MESS

Comment

Mike,

My reference to an "ensign" as the color bearer, is in relation to pre-war militia companies. many of these, especially up here in New England, had their own company flag or colour which they carried on every occasion.

Regardless of the drill manual used, there would have been no provision for a colour guard, as that was a battalion function. Thus, it would, logically, have been an ad hoc affair.

For example, the Bath City Grays was a pre-war militia company in Maine. They had their own colours, a national flag with an eagle in the canton surrounded by stars, painted in gilt. Even though the company was mustered into federal service en masse, becoming Co, "A", 3rd Maine, Infantry, they carried their own company colour with them to Washington, and at Bull Run. The 4th Maine, in all likelihood, has at least one company colour in addition to it's national colour at that same battle, and perhaps more. this is confirmed through the report of Colonel Kershaw of the 2nd SC, who captured a Maine Militia colour at Bull Run. My own research shows that it must have been attached to the 4th Maine, based upon the description of the flag captured.

These militia companies must have had a dedicated individual to carry those colours, and it is entirely within the realm of possibility that they were entitled "Ensigns". Again, I am distinguishing between individual companies, and the entire battalion, as provided for by Scott, Hardee, Casey, et al.

Respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

Is there any sort of Ensign insignia that was used in the Army? Or, based on what we know of Army Ensigns, was it a 2nd Lt. strap?
                    David Casey

Comment

Is it possible that the Ensign was essentially replaced by the third Lieutenant?
                      Rob Weaver
                      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

If you look at U.S. Military History, you see initally, the U.S. Army adopted several British Army officer ranks like Sub-Altern, Coronet, and Ensign. Somewhere in the early 19th Century, those all were consolidated as 2nd and 1st LTs. I haven't done a lot of research, but one site I just pulled up that is a general overview is a site called About.Com: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joint...ankhistory.htm.
                        I would also recommend to you the Military History Institute, a part of the Army History Education Center at Carlisle Barracks, PA. Their web site is; http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/. You can request research information and they will assist you on-line. It is a great place and very helpful. When I was living in PA, we did an "Army through the ages" Living History event there that was excellent, and they have the experts on staff.
                        Frank Siltman
                        24th Mo Vol Inf
                        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
                        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
                        Company of Military Historians
                        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I compared several manuals and while the ensign-3rd lieutenant seems pretty straight I also came across a possible connection with the colors. The French Ordannces of 1831 & 1845 have at the company level two lts & a sergent-major. He's in the file closer rank "a la gauche" the lieutenant (center of 2nd platoon) so, more or less, in the ensign position shown in Scott's Tactics 1820. In order of stepping up he also seems to be a "3rd lt".
                          The color connection:

31. Dans le bataillons qui n'auront pas de drapeau, le chef de bataillons designere un sergent-major pour porter le fanion.

Battalions with too few companies to have colors carry a pennant for purposes of direction and apparently sergent-majors/ensigns were candidates for this honor. I'm not pushing any theory here, just giving info and for those that speak French, the "too few companies" and "purpose of direction" came from other paragraphs:)
                          John Duffer
                          Independence Mess
                          MOOCOWS
                          WIG
                          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Working...
                          X