X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen covers!

Hello all,

I would like to say that all I have heard for the longest time from most hardcore campaigners is that sky blue covers are farby and very un authentic, Its has recently come to my conclusion that on ebay accompanying a complete Zouve( howveer you spell it) uniform, there is a canteen with a sky blue cover, I am not de agreeing with people saying that they were farby but here is an original with one. Any comments, and suggestions as to why this is!

Pvt. Hull
    48th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
    Three musketteers mess!

Shelby, you need to sign your full name to all posts here on the A/C forum. Use the auto-signature feature in the User CP - Mike Chapman
    Last edited by dusty27; 08-08-2007, 07:11 AM.
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Re: Canteen covers!

I have a sky blue cover on my canteen. I guess I'm a farb too.

Sky blue covered canteens are not unauthentic and never have been. The type of material that the covers are made of may be however. Content and not color should be a deciding factor, but do your own research.

To learn more, please read this definitive article on canteens:

Coates, Earl, J. Military Collector and Historian, The Civil War Canteen: Patterns of 1858 and 1862. Page 98, Vol. XLVII, No.3 Fall, 1995, Washington, D.C.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Canteen covers!

Chris is right, it's not the color but the content.

To expand, the argument that I generally hear is that blue covers are merely over represented among the mainstream of the hobby. Hence you see many on our side of things eschew blue covers to balance things 0ut.

I'm not sure what you were trying to acomplish with this, or maybe I do.
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
      [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
      X