Gaiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaiters

I was checking out the Zouave uniform that went up for auction recently. Great pictures. The gaiters are very interesting. I don't know as I have seen anyone reproducing this exact style with the bone buttons and cloth strap?

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Gaiters

If I'm not mistaken, Jarnagin has been making this style for years. Thanks.
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
      If I'm not mistaken, Jarnagin has been making this style for years. Thanks.
      Tom.

It appears Jarnagin offers something close, however buttons appear to be tin (bone can easily be substituted) but the strap that goes under the shoe appears to be leather and not cloth. Also, the shape of the originals seems more true to the anatomical shape of the calf, ankle and foot, even capturing the slight curve of the heel. Many of the repro's I've seen don't seem to go to that level of detail (more straight with only a slight flair at the front. The originals are nicely made.
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Check with Chris Sullivan at Stony Brook -- he used to make correct leggings for the 14th Brooklyn and similar units. Not sure if he still offers them (they were never listed on the site) but he could probably be of assistance.
        Marc A. Hermann
        Liberty Rifles.
        MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
        Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

I know Nick ************ makes a nice Fed issue gaiter, maybe check him out, see if he can do a custom job.

Sean M. Lamb
          The Bully Boys
          Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
          James A. Peifer
          Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

It could have been Stony Brook or Haversack Depot. I think the latter offered them at one time. But, yes, there was someone offering those for sale at one point.
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Could someone please PM the auction site to me, please?
              Guy W. Gane III
              Casting Director/Owner
              Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
              49th NYVI Co. B
              The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

is it me or does that strap appear to be elastic??

steve hutton

Comment

I purchased my Gaiters from Jarnagins for my Zouave impression. The buttons are bone, not tin; however, the strap is sewn on and does not have a button like the one in the auction.

John Winkler
                  Co K 6th TX

Comment

Working...
                  X