Want to know about TN Farming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to know about TN Farming?

Came across this in the Tennessee Veterans Questionnaires.

Jeptha Marion Fuston
    16th Tennessee Infantry, Co.E
    McMinnville, Warren County, TN.

15. As a boy and young man, state what kind of work you did. If you worked on a farm, state to what extent you plowed, worked with a hoe and did other kinds of similar work:
    I was in the field dropping corn when I shed my first two teeth April before I was six in November. I hoed but little except to garden and my little trunk patch, taking my turn at the plow at 8 years of age. My mother said I could have had a home at 4 for my services. I was her main gardener.

16. State Clearly what kind of work your father did, and what the duties of your mother were. State all the kinds of work done in the house as well as you can remember-that is, cooking, spinning, weaving, etc.:
    Before I was larage enough to plow, Father did the plowing, stocked plows and made ox yokes, axe handles, etc. I remember his plowing with one arm in a sling on account of a dislocated shoulder. Mother and elder sister cook, washed clothes. (I helped). Carded spun and wove coverlets. They wove woolen blankets, carding in the loom and made overcoats as well as shoulder blankets.

17. Did your parents keep any servants? If so, how many?
    No, we boys took our turn in the kitchen, as well as bed making, sweeping, etc. I spun spolled, filled quills and carded bats.

18. How was honest toil-as plowing, hauling, and other sorts of honest work of this class-regarded in your community? Was such work considered respectable and honorable?
    Highly so; we boys competed with our neighbors in laying by (as we called it) the corn crop. We finished in June and they by the first Sunday in July, the Baptist Annual foot washing at Old Concord Church. We broke the corn land twice or thrice. Father said "easier cultivating before planting than afterwards."
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Re: Want to know about TN Farming?

Lee, thanks for the post. I love reading the Veterans questionaires, to me it's one of the closest ways of getting into the minds of the common soldier. The most valuable information I've obtained on my Confederate ancestors has come from these questionaires. Several resided near "Mac" minville ( as the locals say), so this provides even more of an insight into their community. Did you obtain the above info from the TN Gen web project? I'm trying to fill in the blanks on a few other ancestors, and always need other sources for quetionaires, etc. Although the Chattanooga downtown library is a great source for these.
    Thanks,
    Eric N. Harley-Brown
    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I forget the exact details since the volume is on a back shelf back at the hacienda, but there is a very nice volume, Tennessee Farming, Tennessee Farmers written in the late 1990s on a great many facets of antebellum agriculture in the Volunteer State... I got my copy via Amazon back in the summer of '02; it may still be available. Good references on crops, property issues, markets, etc.
      Tom Ezell

Comment

This also reminds me of work Vicki Rumble did a few years ago, and it was part of the background info for the fabulous Fort Donelson NPS LH last year.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Hard to think of us or youngsters now farming like that as a normal course of daily life. I have a photo of my own Gr-grandfather in Carthage, TN plowing behing "Lil' Bit" his mule. It was taken about 1968 or '69 and he was then 98-99 years old! That's just the way life was. You worked hard dawn to dusk and cradle to grave. My Gr-grandma called it "working can to can't" which I dind't grasp as a kid until recently my dad explained that saying. You started working as soon as you could, age wise and weather wise and day wise, and continued working until you no longer could.

Comment

Working...
          X