A shell with tails...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shell with tails...

I'm scouring through this site that his a few images of different soldiers of this regiment with a shell with tails... anyone seen originals of this? This photo is of PVT Paris P. Casey, Co. I
    Died in hospital in April 1862 after the Battle of Shiloh.

Source: http://www.19thalabama.org

Brett "Homer" Keen
    Chicago
    [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Re: A shell with tails...

Brett,

I believe this style jacket would classify as what is called a coatee. Various style tails can be seen on these, with open "swallow" tails as well as closed. Often times these are found with elaborate trim on the chest, and sometimes as many as 40 buttons.

I'm not sure when this style jacket came in vogue, it was around in the War of 1812 time period and seems to have almost fallen out of history sometime just after the Civil War...military schools still wear a version of this today as a formal uniform.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    23rd VA. Vol. Regt.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Several years ago I was fortunate enough to get to examine an original. If memory serves me correctly it was at the Sam Davis home in TN. I have some pics laying around some where of it I think and if I can find them I'll try and scan and post them if anyone is intrested. Like I said this was some time ago, before digital cameras so I'll see what I can do.
      Jeff Hodnett

Comment

Jeff I would really like to see your photos.

I have seen more ornate "militia" coats like these, but I have seen 3 soldiers in the 19th with these untrimmed ones. I am very interested any info folks can provide or links to the subject my searches did not find.

Thank you everyone for your time.

Brett "Homer" Keen
        Chicago

Comment

It's called a tailcoat or coatee.
          They were worn by the British army from the Napoleonic Wars until 1856.
          The US army wore them as full dress until they adopted the French-style uniforms of the Civil War in 1855.
          They were still worn by cadets (such as West Point and VMI) and several militia units during the Civil War and in the years after.
          Nick Buczak
          19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

I was about to say, put a few more buttons on it and a birdcage and you would have a coat similar to a cadet's full dress.

Love that sword bayonet also.
            Robert Collett
            8th FL / 13th IN
            Armory Guards
            WIG

Comment

Another member of his company possibly sharing gear for photos or issued the same or what?

Brett "Homer" Keen
              Chicago

Comment

heres two more gents that I think are sharing... I think they are brothers aswell from Company B

images from: http://www.19thalabama.org/b.html

Brett "Homer" Keen
                Chicago

Comment

Greetings,
                  The Nebraska Historical Society has a denim coat that is of a similar pattern in it's collection and was on display about a year ago in Lincoln. If I remember correctly it is identified to a solider with the 1st Nebraska Volunteers.

Darrek Orwig

Comment

There is an original on display here in Vigo Co. ID'd to a young Indiana Cavalry Officer. It's sweet...dark blue with black trim, nice abrupt tails, very Jacksonian. Strange jacket for such young man to have had made, there is no evidence of his having been to an academy to my knowledge.
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for sharing the images. Both tailcoat images are remenicent of the original
                      2nd NH volunteer infantry uniforms, which were fabricated from grey satinette, piped with red and feature "swallow tails."
                      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
                      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

I'd love to see all these original jackets photographed.

Brett "Homer" Keen
                        Chicago

Comment

Troiani actually did a painting of this company and some brief information is located in his uniform book.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

I truly enjoy imges that display the variety of uniforms worn, especially early on in the war. (Still searching for one of Thielemann's Brigade, Cavalry.) Thanks for sharing these. By the way, in the photos of the brothers, have I been sitting at the computer too long, or does the one on the left have his bayonet tucked under his cartridge box sling?
                            [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
                            John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

I dont think the 2 fellas from Company B are sharing gear, or at least knives. I have been staring myself cross eyed at the 2 images and I am pretty certain that the knives are different. Look at the blade curvature and the hilt. They do look enough alike to be brothers.-ELI GEERY
                              -ELI GEERY- Corinthian No. 414-F&AM
                              "The Dippin' Gourd Mess" (FOUNDER)
                              "Original MOOCOWS Board of directors member"
                              "The Bully Boys"
                              "The Hard Case Boys"
                              "The Independant Mess"
                              29th Infantry DIV/OEF/OJG Veteran
                              3d Iinfantry DIV/OIF Veteran

Comment

Working...
                              X