researching Ohio units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• researching Ohio units

I found this online book while trying to find info on the 44th Ohio.

written in 1868.

everett taylor
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Re: researching Ohio units

Figures. I bought an original set at the Mansfield show in May; paid $150 and now it's available on line for free. Sigh.

It's good that they digitized the 1868 edition. Reid revised the later 1895(?) edition and made it more politically correct.

Thanks for posting, though ... so much :-)
    James Brenner

Comment

Hallo!

Good evening Colonel!

When I got mine, "on line" was not invented yet.
      Sigh... ;) :)

Regards,

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
        Sorta only whets my appetite, though, as the version I downloaded doesn't have every page -- I was reading about my ancestor in the 3-month 88th Infantry and "poof," it skips a couple of pages and stops just as Morgan is about to invade the state. Oh, well -- this looks to be a good source re the 87th Infantry and 9th and 10th Cav, as well, and I should be able to get this on interlibrary loan.
        I guess I got my money's worth, as there are only partial illustrations on some pages. Perhaps I'm not using the telegraph machine correctly?
        Paul Hadley
        Technological Non-marvel Militia
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Originally posted by James Brenner View Post
          Figures. I bought an original set at the Mansfield show in May; paid $150 and now it's available on line for free. Sigh.

It's good that they digitized the 1868 edition. Reid revised the later 1895(?) edition and made it more politically correct.

Thanks for posting, though ... so much :-)
          Does your copy have the pages about the 44th Ohio in it?? This online version is missing those pages. I was trying to find any info for the summer of 1863 when the 44th was stationed in Kentucky.
          thanks,
          everett taylor

Comment

Good evening.

The unit history is only a page and a half long in the book. I'll mess around with our brand new scanner this weekend and and email you the whole thing if you'd like.

In the meantime, though, here's what it says about the unit's activities in 1863: ""On the 20th of December (1862) the regiment returned to Frankfort (from Lexington) and was mounted, and from that time until Burnside's advance into Tennessee there was little rest for man or beast. The men almost lived in the saddle. It was one continual advance and retreat, with almost constant skirmishing. The regiment partook in the engagement of Dunstan's Hill, charging the Rebels and contributing materially to their rout. The regiment was frequently engaged in chasing John Morgan, with not very satisfactory results, as he generally proved the faster rider. When General Burnside made his advance into Tennessee, in the fall and winter of 1863, the regiment was dismounted and accompanied him."

Reid here also includes a one page extract from the regiment's roster, listing only the officers.

Have you looked at newspapers from Greene and Champaign counties for soldiers' letters home for additional information? There doesn't seem to be much written about the 44th.

I hope this helps.
            James Brenner

Comment

Hi, Curt.

The Colonel is only a fond memory. He retired at the end of May and went to the dark side as a beltway bandit where he's quickly getting used to 40 hour work weeks.:thumbs_up
              James Brenner

Comment

Hallo!

Herr Jim...

Yes, you had shared that.. I will watch for you on the TV news or History Channel with the "Colonel Ret." after your name. :)

Seems like last month you were showing me your new Parker-Hale Musketoon at the
                I-71 rest stop when they had come just out. Nice jeep too....

Curt
                Where did the years go Mess
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Everett,
                  Have you ever read the book To See the Elephant: The Civil War Letters of John A. McKee (1861-1865). Like the title suggests its letters from a soldier in the 44th Ohio. I think you can find it on Amazon.com right now. Are you from Springfield, Ohio? I am and I may be able to help with research if you need it. E-mail me if you need it. Good luck

Dan Ketterman
                  Dan Ketterman

Comment

Originally posted by wsurugby10 View Post
                    Everett,
                    Have you ever read the book To See the Elephant: The Civil War Letters of John A. McKee (1861-1865). Like the title suggests its letters from a soldier in the 44th Ohio. I think you can find it on Amazon.com right now. Are you from Springfield, Ohio? I am and I may be able to help with research if you need it. E-mail me if you need it. Good luck

Dan Ketterman
                    Dan,
                    I'm going to the library on Monday and see if they can get that book thru inter-library loan. I live in Ky not Ohio. The companies of the 44th seem to have been placed around as pickets in various communities down here. One such company was involved in the "battle" of Williamsburg, Ky. The only mention of this engagement is by Colonel John Scott of the 1st Louisiana Cav. I wanted to know which company was involved and where the others might have camped or been stationed. I live about 15 miles north of Williamsburg and have found a campsite here while metal detecting. It appears to be Union due to the relics found (not many) and bullets found. I was just thinking maybe this could have been a camp of the 44th.
                    thanks everyone for your help and James I'd would like to have a copy of that page if you get a chance. gomezadams2@excite.com
                    everett taylor

Comment

Working...
                    X