Virginia Regimental Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virginia Regimental Rosters

I had some relatives that fought from Virginia and I'm trying to locate them. All of my research points me to the 8th Virginia Infantry, the 46th Virginia Militia and the 31st Virginia Infantry.

I was wondering if anyone out there knew where to locate rosters for these regiments.

One of my uncles was even killed at McDowell. Would there be a record of the casulties for that specific battle or would that only be found through the regiment?

Any help you could offer would be appriciated. Thanks for your time

Dan Ketterman
    Dan Ketterman

Re: Virginia Regimental Rosters

The Virginia State archives would be a good start...
    Tom "Mingo" Machingo
    Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
    Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
    Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
    KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Dan,

The 8th and 31st regiments do have published regimental histories, containing detailed rosters. You can obtain copies through the interlibrary loan person at your local library:

John E. Devine. 8th Virginia Infantry. (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, Inc., 1983)

John M. Ashcraft. 31st Virginia Infantry. (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, Inc., 1988)

There is no published roster for the 46th Virginia Militia. For that, you would need to check with the Virginia State Archives, which are housed at the Library of Virginia.

Eric
      Last edited by Dignann; 08-17-2007, 07:54 AM.
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

One relative of mine served in the 1st Battalion Va. Reserves. This rather obscure unit had no branch of service designation. It was only by using the records of the Commonwealths Adjutant General that I was able to find anything. The Adjutant General's records are seperate from the general service records.

Using the Adjutant General's records, I was able to determine that the unit operated as Infantry and had a good record for it's brief time in service. And, I was able to locate some roster's in the AG's records. At this point, using the regimental commander's name ( R.T.W.Duke) I crossed over into the index for the Confederate Veteran Magazine and found a very nice account of the Regiment's service, with particular emphasis on the burning and evacuation of Richmond and the battle of Saylers Creek.

Best,
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

Check this excellent database as well if you know their names: http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Suggest this website for a "quick-start": http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ known as the Civil War Soldiers and Sailor System. (The link doesn't always work but if you type Civil War Soldiers into your Google search engine, the first listing is what you need.)

J
            Last edited by H. L. Hanger; 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM.
            [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
            [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

I have the volume for the 8th Virgina Infantry referenced above in my personal library at home. I also have the volume for the 46th Va Infantry (but not the militia). Who are you looking for? Send me a PM or an e-mail and I'd be happy to get you whatever information I can.
              Mark Hiland
              [email]mhiland@insightbb.com[/email]

[I]In Memoriam[/I]
              Pvt. John S. Black
              Co. G, 9th Kentucky Cavalry, CS (Breckinridge's)

Comment

Another good source of online information for Virginia soldiers is the Virginia digital library at

I've found pension applications for several of my ancestors that contained some very interesting information.

Kevin French

Comment

Working...
                X