kepi pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kepi pattern

i am trying to find a good authentic kepi pattern if anyone has any suggetions i would sure appreciate it ..........
    :lightningjason willis, 32nd al. inf
    32nd Ala. Inf. Co. C
    Hardtack Mess
    Pontotoc #81 F&AM

Re: kepi pattern

I would suggest getting in contact with Diry Billy or some of the other good hat makers out there and asking them if they could send youn one!

Pvt. Shelby Forrest Hull
    48th OVI
    The Three Musketeers Mess
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Comment

If you call Brad Keune he could help you out I'm sure. He makes excellent hats and his prices and service are top notch if you send me a pm I can give you his contact information.

Respectfully Yours,
      Sean M. Lamb
      The Bully Boys
      Sean M. Lamb

[I]"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."[/I]
      James A. Peifer
      Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Comment

If you're looking for a CS pattern,the CONFEDERATE SKETCHBOOK has a detailed drawing from the ROBERT ROYAL kepi. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

A couple points...

1. Most people in the business are more than happy to talk to you about cap construction; techniques, materials, sources for materials, pattern drafting from originals, etc...however, you will find that most will not share their patterns with you. Throughout history, patterns have been regarded as trade secrets...after all this is often a time-consuming process, and the basis for their business.

2. One of the biggest insults you can do is call up vendor X (whom you have no relation with), who does not sell patterns and ask for them to send you one. After all its stealing business from them, without any of the real work involved. It's about trust, what basis does the vendor have to trust that you and your friends won't mass produce these products? I understand that not everyone has access to original items to make their own patterns, but in getting started its all about trial and error, sometimes good pics of items may be enough to start with (and there are plenty of books and online sights with pics of original CW items).

3. Some advice I was given many years ago...Don't get discouraged, dive into the study of the material culture; take notes from every museum you go to (noting material, construction methods, etc...), look at every book and website...never stop learning.
          Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 08-22-2007, 07:50 AM. Reason: typo
          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
          (Loblolly Mess)
          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul, you are right on the money. I have been making kepi's for 14+ years and have improved my patterns numerous times. I would never consider just sending them out. I did a lot of research and "hands on" inspection of many original caps (taking detailed notes and photographs). Kepi construction is not easy and takes experience and many hard hours of labor to make them come out right. I would also tell you that there is a lot more involved than just having a basic pattern for sides, top, and band. If you want to make them, you need to start from the bottom and do the research.
            Sinc,
            LtCol John Owens
            John Owens

Comment

oh yea i was not trying to have someone send me their patterns i was just wanting to know a good source of study on them i would not dare tell a vendor "hey i like your kepis so give me your pattern and i'll make my own " my mother is a seamstress and she puts in a lot of long hours so i agree that would be an insult i was just looking for reference material..........but thanks though
              :lightningjason willis, 32nd al. inf
              32nd Ala. Inf. Co. C
              Hardtack Mess
              Pontotoc #81 F&AM

Comment

Working...
              X