Murphree Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphree Jacket

For those of you familiar with the Thomas Murphree jacket of 6th Alabama fame, here's the old Son of a Buck himself posed in his famous wartime coat: http://www.rootsweb.com/~alcwroot/6t...s/murphree.htm
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Murphree Jacket

Great picture, I love his hat, I wear nothing but slouches at events outta state.

Pvt. Shelby Forrest Hull
    48th OVI
    The Three Musketeers mess!
    Shelby Hull
    3rd LA/ 48thOVI
    24thLA
    Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
    Bummers
    Before the Breakout
    Gettysburg '13

Comment

I'm still looking for pictures of the original jacket in the museum.

Brett "Homer" Keen
      Chicago
      [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

The original Thomas Murphree jacket is now in the brand new museum at Confederate Memorial Park in Mountain Creek, Alabama. Bill Rambo has done a fantastic job with this tribute to Alabama's Confederate Soldiers and the Confederate Soldier's home.

I would say that the only truly accurate repro (That I have seen) is the one that Becky Nall has listed on her Cotton City website.
        Charlie Childs repro is incorrect with the collar structure. Collar is Squared off sharply and does not line up directly with the front as Childs' repro does. I had the privledge of viewing the jacket just this past weekend was able to view it on display. Wonderful to see it out and the History that accompanies it.

Jeff Black
        Jeff Black
        33rd Alabama

Comment

Folks, here's a better view of Murphree wearing his jacket. This is from the Alabama Department of Archives and History website:

Several surviving wartime photos show other 6th Alabama soldiers wearing the same pattern jackets.

Larry Shields

Comment

Hi,
            to be fair to Mr Childs it's my understanding that his "Murphree" jacket was actually copied from another Alabama State jacket in a private collection, not the actual Murphree jacket itself - having said that I can't remember where I heard that! Also, his copy (which is not listed on his website - perhaps he doesn't make it now) has black trimmed epaulettes, whereas I believe the Murphree jacket has blue trimmed epaulettes. I assumed that was because the jacket he copied also had black trim. Anyone with more information, or can verify/correct this, please do so.
            I have a "Murphree style" (how it was described) copy from Mr Childs and I have a snippet from an e-mail he sent regarding the buttons that I assumed were on the jacket he copied (rather than the Murphree): -

"The original has "CSA" buttons on the front and federal eagle staff (I think) vest buttons on the epaulettes"

Of course, that doesn't mean those buttons were on during the war and I think that some veterans added CSA buttons for effect afterwards - but CSA buttons (local cast, then English import very late war) were worn....

Regards,
            Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

The Jacket then should not be called the "Murphree Jacket" IMHO. Now that being said, Childs puts out nothing but quality stuff. Please do not take this to be a Bashing on him, it is most certainly not.

The CSA buttons on the original Murphree jacket are post war additions, most likely, long after. Buttons that are on it, that appear to be wartime are US Officer Eagle Muffin buttons. And yes the trim is blue. And as it was once thought to be a mid war issue jacket, has been proven to be an earlier war jacket. A note in some of Murphree's other garments explained the history of the jacket. Becky Nall had posted the contents of the note but I am unable to locate it. I believe it stated that the Jacket was cut out in Columbus Ga, sent to Montgomery to be sewn and worn from '62 to Late '63 and is supposed to have cradled Gen. Gordan's head after he was wounded at Sharpsburg. I will post the contents of the note if I can locate it.
              Jeff Black
              33rd Alabama

Comment

Courtesy of Bob Bradley, curator Alabama Department of Archives and History.
                Enjoy!

. " War Jacket-worn by Thomas M. Murphree, Troy, Alabama. Belonged to Rode's Brigade & D.H. Hill's Division, Co.E, 6th Ala. Infantry Reg. Aug.(issued)1861 (worn till Feb.1863). Eagle Mills, Columbus, Ga. Shipped to Mont. Made by Miss Napp (Knapp?)-Afterwards Mrs. Halfman. Worn in Battles: Seven Pines May 31-June 1, 1862. Cold Harbor, June 27, 1862, Malvern Hill, Boonesborough Gap, South Mountain Maryland Sept.14,1862, Antietam or Sharpsburg Sept 17, 1862, Fredericksburg, Dec. 1862 (Reserves under fire). Besides almost innumerable skirmishes."

Murphree gives the account of using the jacket for Gen. Gordon's head in an issue of Confederate Veteran.

Bob states that this is probably the most well documented Enlisted man's shell jacket around.
                Jeff Black
                33rd Alabama

Comment

To add on, the material it is made out of is, I believe, Cassimere, made at the Eagle Mills in Columbus.
                  Lee White
                  Researcher and Historian
                  "Delenda Est Carthago"
                  "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Please note that the above info on the jacket came from Murphree himself.
                    Jeff Black
                    33rd Alabama

Comment

Hi,
                      Aug 61 - Feb 63. Does anyone have a view as to whether that consitutes a long service life for a jacket? In Larry's link to Murphree wearing the jacket post-war it certainly looks ragged - that could either be post-war reunion wear and tear - or a well looked after jacket with mainly wartime wear I suppose...

Thought I had read somewhere of uniforms wearing out in as little as 3-6 months?

Best regards,
                      Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Lee, the same early cassimere in his jacket appears to be the same cloth in the Jenkins CD jacket. Murphree's obtaining the cloth in 61 fits the idea that the Jenkins CD jacket is an early 62 product as well. The manufacture of cassimere in Columbus apparently was wide spread early in the War.

Joe Walker

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
                          Hi,
                          Aug 61 - Feb 63. Does anyone have a view as to whether that consitutes a long service life for a jacket? In Larry's link to Murphree wearing the jacket post-war it certainly looks ragged - that could either be post-war reunion wear and tear - or a well looked after jacket with mainly wartime wear I suppose...

Thought I had read somewhere of uniforms wearing out in as little as 3-6 months?

Best regards,
                          Paul,
                          The jacket was getting ragged during the war, of course. But wearing it after the war put much wear on it as well. There are several reunion photos of Mr. Murphree wearing it and as the dates progress, so does the wear on the jacket. The jacket is now almost in complete tatters, save for the efforts of Mr. Bob Bradley at the archives. The coat is displayed and preserved very well at Confederate memorial park and the wear on the sleeves is extensive, and even more so on the bottom of the jacket. Something that I did query Mr. Bradley about, as he was standing next to me at the time, was that It appeared as though the jacket had been souveniered (sp). There were several spots on the bottom of it that appeared to be cut rather than worn out. Considering this jacket is to have cradled Gen. Gordon's head, that is quite possible, but of course is not documented. What is documented by the wearer himself is the service life of the Jacket.

Hope this helps
                          Jeff Black
                          33rd Alabama

Comment

Here is a picture of Private Preston Sellars of the 15th Alabama wearing what appears to be a similar jacket to Murphree's. Photo from Alabama Dept. of History and Archives.
                            Bob Williams
                            26th North Carolina Troops
                            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Murphree's daughter donated the jacket to the Alabama State Historical Archives with a card in the pocket written in Murphree's own hand. The card even had the seamstress, location and date of manufacture - almost like an "inspected by #14" tag. As mentioned, it dates from late summer 1861 and is made of cassimere. Eagle Woolen Mills may have been producing up to 80% of it's output in this fabric according to Lee White, based on documentation that survived.

In Tom and Becky Nall's (Cotton City) outstanding research on the Muphree, Gilmore, Mystery and Dept of Alabama jackets, this one represents the first Alabama commutation pattern. Gilmore is likely also a commutation jacket while the latter two were likely central Depot produced items.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X