Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1850 Officers two piece belt buckle, Original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1850 Officers two piece belt buckle, Original?

Hey guys here is a question for you. I have had this belt buckle come across my desk and I have not dealt with really any of these that are original so I could use your opinion. The buckle, when suspended by a rubber band, does not ring like repo's typically do. The front has nice clear detail and has a pattern around the eagle. The thing that really bothers me is the back how there are finish lines and two marks that look like they would be tape on the mold. Also there is XXX III marks on both the buckle and keeper. I have seen one other listing for a buckle with what appears to be Roman numerals. Anyway I have included photos so if anybody has any opinions let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Attached Files
    Sgt. Kevin Braafladt
    Sykes Regulars West

"You may find me dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you will find me in a pile of brass."
    Tpr. M. Padgett

Re: 1850 Officers two piece belt buckle, Original?

So, what's the question?
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Hallo!

It is common for the plates and hasps to have matching "bench numbers;" sometimes this was done in Roman numerals.

It can be very hard to determine the original for the expertly done lost-wax, etc., type reproductions made a number of years ago.
      And perhaps not so oddly, there was also a post Civil War market for castings of them as well.

What seems to catch my eye, is that the laurel berry on the lower left (right side in the image) seems to have been altered/repaced with a "D" possibly for the maker or warning of "duplicate?"

Not saying it is, or isn't.

I have no expertise on plates, so my opinion is worthless here...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Judging from the subject of the thread, I would deduce that the question is, "Is this buckle original?" Somehow it was crystal clear to me.

I just can't come up with an answer. Sorry.

Andrew
        Andrew Quist
        Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
        www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Working...
        X