AoT Tactics, applied on the Battlefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AoT Tactics, applied on the Battlefield

Thought this might be of interest for thoughts on how to act before 1864 and possibly after.

From the Atlanta Southern Confederacy, April 6, 1864.

Firing in Battle

A Captain of a Mississippi Company in the army of Tennessee, writing to the Atlanta Register, throws out some excellent suggestions on this important matter, which we hope will go the rounds of the press.

I have tried to write an article and have failed, now I ask you to write it and insert it in your valuable paper and sign it as coming from a company commander of the above brigade, asking the cooperation of all the company commanders of the army of Tennessee on the following points: Teaching the men in battle to aim their pieces with more accuracy, and the great importance of being cool and collected, and wait until the enemy are within easy range; exhort them all to act together in the next battle, and go into it with that idea prominent in the minds, and try for once to impress it upon the minds of each man to deliver his piece as if he was firing at a target. I feel the greatest necessity of this, and I am confident that if we can get even one volley fired in this way, we can whip any number the enemy can bring against us. If you were never in a battle, you would not guess that there were half the random shots fired that there are. Why, sir, I have seen whole regiments and brigades deliver their fire when I am sure that they did not even wound a single man. Such firing, besides wasting ammunition, does not intimidate the enemy at all; on the other hand, it makes them feel that there is little danger, consequently, he is more bold, and delivers his fire more accurately; besides, if men are allowed to make those random shots, it becomes a habit, and they become so excited at it that they would oftener miss a man at ten paces than they would hit him. Just in that way battles are often lost and won, while the company commander, if he would only stop it and show them that they were doing no good, they would soon become collected, and after they once saw their folly, would soon, of their own accord, fire deliberately and probably save the day after it had been comparatively lost.
    Why, sir, in battle you often see company commanders charging around, with their swords flourishing around their heads, crying out give it to them, boys, give it to them, manifesting in themselves and creating in others all the excitement possible; now a second thought would show to their better judgement that they were doing more harm than good, for men become so exited under such circumstances, that they wouldmiss an elephant at ten steps. You often see the above blustering around then the enemy are at least off at the distance of the one thousand yards, and to hear the roar of musketry and the excited commanders, you would think they would soon come to a hand to hand contest. What is it that excites a man in battle? Why, it is the danger. If you shoot at a man once, he is very much excited; shoot at im a hundred times and miss him every time, and all his fear and excitement is gone; but reserve your fire until you can do some execution, and when they come, fire into them; cut his clothes, would his neighbor, kill the second man from him, and let him see it, and I tell you seventy five Yankees out of every hundred will break and run, and then a charge, with our infernal yell, and the day is ours.
    Another very imporant point, after we have whipped and routed the enemy; Let us all resolve to keep each and every man in his place, ready to follow up our advantage and secure the fruits of the victory; not such things as we can get from the dead and wounded; but first of all prisoners, and then his artillery, wagon trains, etc.
    Oh! let us do it by all means; we can do it; and let us all determine to act together, and the result will be (not as it was at Chickamauga, half the army scattered over the battlefield, pillaging the dead and wounded) but a victory as never was known to our arms, and may give us back Tennessee, (the glorious old State) in place of a few greenbacks, haversacks, old pocket knives, and just such trash as was the fruits of Chickamauga, where the bones of many of our noble and brave boys lie bleaching on the plains. I wish I could command every company separately in the next fight, or I wish I could write so as to stir them up.
    Lee White
    Researcher and Historian
    "Delenda Est Carthago"
    "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Re: AoT Tactics, applied on the Battlefield

What an incredible moment frozen in time! You can feel the officer's frustration. Excellent article Lee, thanks for bringing it out. It staggers me that the guy wrote a letter to the editor to implore his fellow officers to command their men more effectively, not to mention the details of the wild firing going on. Just a great article.

Andrew
    Andrew Quist
    Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
    www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

I have more that ties in with it as well. About a month ago Patrick Lewis calculated that here at Chickamauga there were 114 rounds fired for every man hit in the battle, and here visibility limited firing til 150 yards or closer for the most part. Add to this what Mark Jager found about the firing at Murfreesboro and there is a serious problem in the army.
      Lee White
      Researcher and Historian
      "Delenda Est Carthago"
      "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

Comment

Of course terrain and visibility is going to be an issue on any battlefield, I can understand that. Its a fascinating thought when I would assume that a lot of the boys in the AoT were no strangers to rifles and muskets. Then when you think about the amount of time and the engagements that transpire from Murfreesboro to the opening of the Atlanta Campaign you'd think they'd be getting better?

Andrew
        Andrew Quist
        Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
        www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

I highly reccomend David Grossman's book, "On Killing." It deals with a lot of the psychological aspects of battle and helps explain some of the phenomena that the captain mentioned. It's not just in the ACW, it's been observed since the invention of the firearm.

Andrew Jerram
          Kind Regards,
          Andrew Jerram

Comment

Nice article, great Chickamauga reference! Goes well w/ the one you showed me last month about the men of the 14th Corps blindly firing over there works on the 20th of September (1863).
            Pat Brown

Comment

GREAT ARTICLE, I understand how he must feel, its just stupid to waste ammo and in re enacting sometime a fight can last forever and not one man has taken a hit and that just makes me angry as hell, Especially when there is a crowd. This on the other hand was real and the safety of the entire company or etc is on the line when men are just randomanly shooting!

Pvt. Shelby Hull
              3rd LA and 48th OVI
              Shelby Hull
              3rd LA/ 48thOVI
              24thLA
              Independent Rifles

Shiloh '06
              Bummers
              Before the Breakout
              Gettysburg '13

Comment

So maybe the re-enactorism of not taking hits is more accurate (pun intended) than we have heretofore thought?:wink_smil
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

This officer would appear to be an inexperienced, ego-centric buffoon. Why else would you use the newspaper to simultaneously slam the entire leadership of the AoT down to the company level and at the same time try to convince the public that the Yanks are cattle that will run back north if we just shoot a little staighter? What nonsense, even if somewhat accurate on the histrionics of some company commanders.

"I have seen entire regiments and brigades..." leads me to believe he may be a staff officer vice a combat officer. A combat officer would have a bit more respect for his opposite number...and respect his troops and his commanders a bit more.
                  Last edited by DougCooper; 08-23-2007, 12:00 AM.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Without the officer's name, this article seems to be more of a "speak out" type letter to the editor than anything else. I have worked for several years with newspaper articles dealing with local Confederate units (the Jacksonville Republican and Mobile Daily Register specifically) and what company and regimental commanders wrote in those papers. You would be surprised at the "frankness," as in this article, that were written about the command structures and the handling of those commands in varying engagements. Yes, from experienced junior officers as well. Unfortunately, I don't believe that just because this individual has a very vocal opinion, it means he is a novice in his position as a company commander; quite the opposite could be true. This may be the best way he feels he can get his point across. Newspapers were a very opinionated media outlet, as they are today, and anonymity could be kept while enlightening superior officers. Also, the number of rounds fired vs. the number of casualties at Chickamauga and Stones River can attest to this company commander's frustrations.
                    CY
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                    [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

Special Order No.93
                      Headquarters Bate's Division
                      Dalton, GA, May 6, 1864.

The division commander suggests to the officers and troops of his command that too much apprehension has been felt among our troopsin reference to being flanked in an engagement by the enemy, which movement can esaily be met by "change of front" of a brigade or regiment, as the case may require, with a prompt notification of the fact to the brigade or division commander. All ground taken from the enemy must be held at all hazards, unless otherwise ordered by proper authority, as relinquishing it deceives our friends and encourages the enemy. Brigade commanders cannot be too prompt in notifying the division commander of all important movements made by themselves or by the enemy in their front and flank.
                      Especially would he call attention to firing at long range. The enemy being our equals in long range firing, the fire should be reserved until the enemy is close enough for each man to mark his man; demoralization to the enemy has always followed a well directed fire at short range. If practicable, such fire should be followed by a determined charge to break the enemy's line, thereby producing further demoralization and confusion. Especial attention is called to accuracy of aim, collectedness, and coolness in firing at all times; firing too high must be guarded against, as wounded men give more trouble to the adversary than his dead. Fire at the lower extemities; avoid overshooting.
                      In the beginning of a battle, except by troops deployed as skirmishers, the fire by file must be avoided; firing by wing or company will be observed and, as far as practicable, alternately by front and rear rank. During the battle the officers and non-commissioned officers must keep the men in ranks, enforce obedience, encourage and stimulate them.
                      Before and after battle the roll of each company will be called, and absentees must be strictly accounted for. No soldier will be permitted to quit the ranks to strip or rob the dead, or even to assist in removing our dead or wounded, unless by special permission from brigade or division commander. The surest way to protect our wounded is to drive the enemy from the field. Any one persisting in quitting his standard under the pretense of removing or aiding the woulded without proper authority will be regarded and proclaimed a coward and dealt with accordingly. This order will be published to the troops of this division, and each field officer will make it his dury to impress these suggestions upon the officers and men of his command.
                      By command of Major General Bate:
                      C.J. Mason
                      Assistant Adjutant General.
                      Lee White
                      Researcher and Historian
                      "Delenda Est Carthago"

Comment

Originally posted by LWhite64 View Post
                        Special Order No.93
                        Headquarters Bate's Division
                        Dalton, GA, May 6, 1864.

The division commander suggests to the officers and troops of his command that too much apprehension has been felt among our troopsin reference to being flanked in an engagement by the enemy, which movement can esaily be met by "change of front" of a brigade or regiment, as the case may require, with a prompt notification of the fact to the brigade or division commander. All ground taken from the enemy must be held at all hazards, unless otherwise ordered by proper authority, as relinquishing it deceives our friends and encourages the enemy. Brigade commanders cannot be too prompt in notifying the division commander of all important movements made by themselves or by the enemy in their front and flank.
                        Especially would he call attention to firing at long range. The enemy being our equals in long range firing, the fire should be reserved until the enemy is close enough for each man to mark his man; demoralization to the enemy has always followed a well directed fire at short range. If practicable, such fire should be followed by a determined charge to break the enemy's line, thereby producing further demoralization and confusion. Especial attention is called to accuracy of aim, collectedness, and coolness in firing at all times; firing too high must be guarded against, as wounded men give more trouble to the adversary than his dead. Fire at the lower extemities; avoid overshooting.
                        In the beginning of a battle, except by troops deployed as skirmishers, the fire by file must be avoided; firing by wing or company will be observed and, as far as practicable, alternately by front and rear rank. During the battle the officers and non-commissioned officers must keep the men in ranks, enforce obedience, encourage and stimulate them.
                        Before and after battle the roll of each company will be called, and absentees must be strictly accounted for. No soldier will be permitted to quit the ranks to strip or rob the dead, or even to assist in removing our dead or wounded, unless by special permission from brigade or division commander. The surest way to protect our wounded is to drive the enemy from the field. Any one persisting in quitting his standard under the pretense of removing or aiding the woulded without proper authority will be regarded and proclaimed a coward and dealt with accordingly. This order will be published to the troops of this division, and each field officer will make it his dury to impress these suggestions upon the officers and men of his command.
                        By command of Major General Bate:
                        C.J. Mason
                        Assistant Adjutant General.
                        Now that is how you do it!

Still a staff officer though :D
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

This is from an article in the Mobile Register and Advertiser, October 25, 1863 titled Clayton's Brigade at Chickamauga.

"...It was about four o'clock[Sept 19,ED.] when,-the brigade moving by the left flank, at 'double quick'-the left wing of the 38th Alabama, in front, ran into an ambuscade of the enemy, of whose presence they were first made aware, by a fatal volley which instantly killed Major Jewett and Captain Welch, and brought down about a score of the companies of Welch and Bussy. The regiment then fronted itself by impulse without 'undoubling' and stood in many places in four ranks, which soon increased to five, six, or seven, as there was a scramble for the rear rank. This was natural, unavoidable, under the circumstances. The men of the regiment fire. They were ambuscaded and fighting a still unseen enemy. The truth is, that no regiment stands firmly, fights cooly, and without disorder in its first encounter. I know that there are such representations; but I tell you, I know them to be false. But to proceed-the left wing of the 38th was swung back a considerable distance. All of Captain Welch's company, except Lieut. Welch and four men, were cut of, and were not seen again during that day or the next, However, they reported to the Colonel of an Arkansas regiment, in while ranks they fought, and as he certified, fought well. Part of Capt. Bussy's company was also cut off; (he being wounded) and one of them, at least, captured by the enemy. He afterwards killed the Yankee guarding him, and got back. The right wing of the regiment, being subject to a less severe fire, stood firmer. But the entire line was under fire, and soon a scene of dire confusion ensued-The men kept up a wild fusilade, thought they did not see the enemy. Those who did not fear the enemy's bullets, and would firmly face them, could not stand teh fire from the rear of their own comrades who blazed away, to the imminent danger of the front rank. Now there was a gradual moving back, which finally became, a disorderly retreat.-This has yet to be explained.
                          Some say they heard an order to retreat. I did not, and believing a retreat unnecessary. I instantly halted my company, and faced it to the front. The regiment was then reformed in a semi-circle. The firing was renewed and continued for some time, but I did not allow my men to fire, and I checked it in the companies next to mine. It was a useless waste of ammunition. After this we were faced to the rear by order and marched back a quarter of a mile to get more. My company had not fired five rounds. We went back and Bate's brigade went forward to take our position...Ammunition being redistributed, the brigade was reformed and ordered to advance. General Clayton galloped along the front, waving his hat, and shouting 'Forward.'...Confidence was restored. Enthusiasm replaced the recent dejection. Forward we went, with now firm step, more and more rapid, until it became first a 'double- quick', then a run. We reached the line where Bate's brigade was posted. We plunged on over Bate's brigade, sweeping some of them along with us. We raised a loud yell and on we went, driving the fugitive enemy before us..."
                          Lee White
                          Researcher and Historian
                          "Delenda Est Carthago"

Comment

It's interesting that he mentions that they pick the wounded and dead of war trophies like money and pocket knives and not shoes, trousers, and other reenactornisms. Further proof that in many case the men were well uniformed.

Brett "Homer" Keen
                            Chicago
                            [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Who's saying it's a reenactorism Brett? Just read last night where a 21st Wisconsin Sergeant pulled the shoes of a dead confederate.....and a few months later he pulled the boots off of an officer. I don't see too many reenactors running around barefoot......except of course yourself a few years ago or Roy Brown from Hersey High School/1st MI Engineers.
                              RJ Samp
                              (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
                              Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Working...
                              X