Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topstitching -- Which is correct / common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topstitching -- Which is correct / common?

To all the handsewers out there --

I'm assembling a Charles Childs RD II jacket kit (very nice by the way) and I'd like to know if anyone knows which of two handsewn topstitches is more historically correct. The jacket represents an early war CSA artillery lieutenant, so a polished look is important:

1. Serpentine -- the finished look is such: - - - - -

2. Double serpentine -- which looks more machine-sewn: __ __ __ __ __

Serpentine means a simple "snake" pattern, running one way down the cloth. Double serpentine means the stitch runs back in the OPPOSITE direction, once the above #1 is complete. At least, this is what I THINK is happening, given what I have seen in close-up photos of the real deal, plus other hand-sewn reproductions. Double serpentine provides a more "polished" appearance.

Note that in the above "examples", the dashes really don't cooperate and don't leave enough space in #1. Example #2 "double serpentine" should look like the top stitch you will find on Levis.

If another technique was used, I'd like to know that as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lynn Kessler
    Lynn Kessler
    Co. C
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
    The Southern Division

Re: Topstitching -- Which is correct / common?

Lynn,

I have always used a modified running stitch for topstitching, where the needle is angled back toward the previous stitch on the opposite side of the surface. This forces you to pass the needle through to the other side of the fabric, and thus takes a bit longer, but I find that the result is much closer in appearance to original topstitching than trying to use any technique where you pass the needle through the same side of the fabric (such as backstitching.)

That is my method when I have thick layers to work with. On thinner layers I have seen backstitches used as topstitching to great effect, but when you're dealing with the six layers of a jacket front (front, facing, and interlining doubled back on themselves) I've found my modified running stitch to be the only effective method.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,
    Dan Wambaugh
    Wambaugh, White, & Company
    www.wwandcompany.com
    517-303-3609
    Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wambaugh View Post
      I have always used a modified running stitch for topstitching, where the needle is angled back toward the previous stitch on the opposite side of the surface.
      Dan --

For demonstration purposes, this is a single topstitch from the OBVERSE:

The left end is the "start" point, the right is the "finish" (where the needle enters the fabric).

If I understand you correctly, you are creating a normal topstitch on the obverse of the jacket, then from the reverse, returning the needle at an angle so that it will exit the obverse almost exactly at the point where the needle originally ENTERED the obverse, resulting in this for three finished topstitches:

———

And resulting in the "machine finish" appearance but handstitched. Yes / no?

Thanks,
      Lynn Kessler
      Lynn Kessler
      Co. C
      The Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by toccoa42 View Post
        To all the handsewers out there --

I'm assembling a Charles Childs RD II jacket kit (very nice by the way) and I'd like to know if anyone knows which of two handsewn topstitches is more historically correct. The jacket represents an early war CSA artillery lieutenant, so a polished look is important:

1. Serpentine -- the finished look is such: - - - - -

2. Double serpentine -- which looks more machine-sewn: __ __ __ __ __

Serpentine means a simple "snake" pattern, running one way down the cloth. Double serpentine means the stitch runs back in the OPPOSITE direction, once the above #1 is complete. At least, this is what I THINK is happening, given what I have seen in close-up photos of the real deal, plus other hand-sewn reproductions. Double serpentine provides a more "polished" appearance.

Note that in the above "examples", the dashes really don't cooperate and don't leave enough space in #1. Example #2 "double serpentine" should look like the top stitch you will find on Levis.

If another technique was used, I'd like to know that as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
        Lynn Kessler

Hello,
        I found your statement about a "polished look" interesting...Officers in both the Union and Confederate armies were required to purchase their own uniforms. As a result, many contracted with tailors who were capable of turning out beautifully finished garments; however, the RDII jacket was a government issued tunic, originally for the enlisted ranks, and later (I think 1864) made available to officers at a cost, and once the needs of the enlisted ranks had been met. As a result, the garment drawn by an officer would have exhibited no superiority in construction over the enlistedmen's jackets, and would have been subject to the skills of whatever seamstress happened to work on that particular piece. Perhaps if it's a polished officer's look you are seeking you should go with a frock coat or commutation style jacket, both of which could and did exhibit the style you seek. Just my 2 cents worth of rambling...Best regards.
        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

OK . Here's my 2 cent's worth. This is a top stich I use. I start from the back or bury the knot . then push the needle in from the back and tip the needle slightly in the direction the seam is going , pull through.and return just behind where the needle came out and push through to the back side at the opposite angle, again in the direction the seam is going. this way you see no stich, only the point where the needle came and went. I guess you could call it a serpentine stich as it zig zags it way up the seam . This has no bearing on anything I have seen on an origional CW garment. Just a thought! Ted Muller

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Mueller View Post
            OK . Here's my 2 cent's worth. This is a top stich I use. I start from the back or bury the knot . then push the needle in from the back and tip the needle slightly in the direction the seam is going , pull through.and return just behind where the needle came out and push through to the back side at the opposite angle, again in the direction the seam is going. this way you see no stich, only the point where the needle came and went. I guess you could call it a serpentine stich as it zig zags it way up the seam . This has no bearing on anything I have seen on an origional CW garment. Just a thought! Ted Muller
            It almost sounds like you are describing a prick stitch. This is where on the finished side you end with no visible sign of a stitch exept a very small prick, but on the facing side you can see full, and often long, stitches.

While I haven't seen any original garments with this form of top stitching, I do seem to remember reading a thread a number of months ago mentioning this stitch on at least one original. If this is more than my imagination, maybe the poster will chime in. Of course, I have been known to not have a clue what I was talking about before.
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
            Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
            Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

I have looked at original jackets with all of the above mentioned styles of topstitching. The type of stitch Dan described was on a couple different jackets, including a Depot III that was worn by an officer. The officer drew the jacket and had it tailored at an extra cost. Some parts you could tell the workmanship was different then other parts. For instance, the lining was replaced and you could see that someone else had worked on the coat. Another officer coat had the "prick stitch" that was describe in another post. Still another jacket had topstitching that was very small and practicaly touching each individual stitch. You could barely see the stitch on the back or the inside of the coat. Almost a reverse to the prick stitch. As I was looking back through my pictures to write this post, I noticed that many of the jackets had no topstitching at all. I guess my point is that a variety of types can be used or not at all.
              Rob Bruno
              1st MD Cav
              Rob Bruno
              1st MD Cav
              http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Just to add background to my original question --

The jacket I am replicating appears in Echoes of Glory. It is an officer's Richmond Deport artillery jacket that has topstitching that is clearly more involved and "finished" than the simple serpentine topstitch that might be common on the stock or issued jacket that an enlisted man might receive. So yes, it is possible that the original owner had extra tailoring performed on the jacket. Or not. We'll never know. In any event, a "finished" appearance is required for the jacket I have in mind, as the photo depicts.

Lynn Kessler
                Lynn Kessler
                Co. C
                The Southern Division

Comment

Mr. Kessler,

Could you be more specific as to which jacket you are looking at in EOG ?

Best,
                  Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                  PO BOX 4849
                  Midlothian, VA 23112
                  www.richmonddepot.com
                  (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Depot View Post
                    Could you be more specific as to which jacket you are looking at in EOG ?
                    Sure. Captain Otey's jacket, bottom page 122. It may or may not be an RD II, given that the epaulets are missing and we can't tell if there are belt loops. But, given that he was killed in October 1862, I'm betting it's either a I or a II with the epaulets removed.

I should say I'm replicating it to a certain degree. I'm building mine as an RD II, with epaulets, no exterior chest pocket flap, with the same red piped trim, but as lieutenant instead of captain, and with 9 buttons, not eight as the photo depicts.

Lynn Kessler
                    Lynn Kessler
                    Co. C
                    The Southern Division

Comment

Otey's jacket is a private purchase, neither an RD1 or RD2. The piping and trimmed pockets are not found on Richmond Depot jackets. Best regards.
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                        Otey's jacket is a private purchase, neither an RD1 or RD2.
                        Yeah, I figured that too. Still, the RD II pattern from CRC works for my intentions.

Originally posted by Secesh View Post
                        The piping and trimmed pockets are not found on Richmond Depot jackets.
                        Well, he WAS and officer, so he could do what he wanted. And it still works for my intentions.

Lynn Kessler
                        Lynn Kessler
                        Co. C
                        The Southern Division

Comment

Originally posted by toccoa42 View Post
                          Yeah, I figured that too. Still, the RD II pattern from CRC works for my intentions.

Well, he WAS and officer, so he could do what he wanted. And it still works for my intentions.

Lynn Kessler
                          So Lynn what we aren't getting is the point of this exercise - if you are making a jacket not based on a single surviving example, why the question on top stitching?
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Exactly my point...an exercise in futility...why are you not using a commutation pattern? It seems you are using an RD pattern to make a non-RD pattern jacket...And why make a copy of Otey's jacket based on an RD pattern when Otey's jacket isn't one???!!!
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo

Vixi Et Didici

Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by rbruno View Post
                              ... Another officer coat had the "prick stitch" that was describe in another post. Still another jacket had topstitching that was very small and practicaly touching each individual stitch. You could barely see the stitch on the back or the inside of the coat. Almost a reverse to the prick stitch. As I was looking back through my pictures to write this post, I noticed that many of the jackets had no topstitching at all.
                              Rob,

Do you think you could post some of these pictures. I would be really interested in seeing the prick stitch and reverse(?) prick stitch.
                              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                              Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
                              Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

Working...
                              X