Quenn Anne's Lace Pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quenn Anne's Lace Pattern

I have used the research feature and looked through the different authenticity threads on this forum, and could not find an answer to my question-"is the Queen Ann's pattern authentic for coverlets during the Civil War period?" Any answer to the question would be very welcome.

Cary Meadows
    Last edited by ElizabethClark; 09-04-2007, 08:01 AM. Reason: Converting to standard capitalization for easier reading.

Re: Quenn Anne's Lace Pattern

Cary,

Coverlet patterns, like quilt patterns, vary in name from region to region.

Post the draw down and I'll look it up.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,

Would you please be so kind as to give a hint as to where you go to "look it up?" We continually draw on each other for an ever growing biblography here and I'd appreciate see what sources you use as this is a part of the history I'm not as strong with.

Thanks in advance!

Kindest regards,

Will Eichler
      Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
      Saginaw City Light Infantry
      Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
      Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
      http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
      www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Will,--Its a treasure hunt ;)

My first stop is Mary Meigs Atwater's publications, both hard bound, starting in the late 1920's, and her prior newsletters. These are most useful for discerning the type of weave.

Intergral to this is an analysis of the 'draw down'--discerning the threading and treadling necessary to produce a particular pattern, and the number of harnesses and tie-up treadles required. Knowledge of the predominate types and sophistication of looms in particular areas aids in determining whether a particular piece was pre-war or not.

Then one goes to the old draw downs preserved by Weaver Rose , some of which are dated, to attempt to classify a match or a close variation. And from there to J. and R. Bronson's 1817 work, when applicable.

Interestingly, Mrs. Atwater says that with the advent of mechanized looms, coverlet patterns produced became less complicated, rather than more so.

And often, what you are really looking for is a 'close match' . Looms capable of weaving overshot without significant hand manipulation can vary from 6 harnesses to nearly 20---and reasonable approximations of the same general design can be woven with a wide variety of harness numbers, with the number of harnesses providing more flexibility in complicated patterns and borders.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mrs. Lawson,

Thank you! How enlightening.

Best regards,

Will
          Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
          Saginaw City Light Infantry
          Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
          Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest