Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Common Civilian Hats

If you haven't already, I'd suggest taking a look at a Theophilus Frank hat. I have one made for me by Tim Allen and love it. Theo Frank was a Confederate from Davidson Co. NC (where I happen to live) so it was a great fit for me. Here is an excerpt from the ACWS Archives:

Two hats survive that were issued either by the Central Government or by the State of North Carolina itself. Both of these hats are black civilian hats, which have been altered to mimic the 1858 army hat.

The first belonged to Theophilus Frank who served in the 48th N.C., which served in Hill’s Corps ANV from October 1863 to October 1864. This hat shows evidence of being 'militarised'. The crown when domed is 6 inches at its apex, and the brim measures 3 inches. It is edged with 1/4 in Grossgrain Ribbon on the top only. A 7/8 wide band encircles the base of the crown that is made of double play thickness cotton that has been blackened and is now a medium grey colour. This has been applied over the original hat bank. Applied under this hatband are two pieces of cord approximately 3 inches long that look like they represent hat cords, and lastly the brim has been looped up on one side by use of a button and corresponding slit in the brim.

The second hat that surfaced in 1991 is different to the first in the fact that it has a smaller brim but it has been 'militarised' in exactly the same way.

Judging by this evidence it seems likely that some States and maybe the Central Government itself issued civilian hats to the men from the beginning of the war and some of these at least were altered to mimic the 1858 army hat. Some of these were still being issued in late 1863 (T Frank enlisted in October 1863).

I don't loop mine up on the side but many variations in wearing are possible. If you are interested, Tim Allen's e-mail is: tahats@starpower.net which is the best way to contact him. His quality of workmanship and authenticity are excellent. I'm sure you would be pleased.

Also, here is the link to the entire ACWS article: http://www.acws.co.uk/archives/military/anvslouch.htm

Comment

I am very pleased with my "Clearwater" hat. High quality. It is well worth exploring their website even if you aren't ready to buy a hat yet. I also have a forage cap from Dirty Billy's and a comrade has one if his straw hats. Don't know if Dirty Billy is an "approved" vendor but the headgear I've personally seen is good.
      L.J. Bach
      ~Southern Cal~
      aka: Lawrence J. Bach

Comment

The hat that you choose is ultimately up to you. But if you want help on the subject, talk with the best. E-mail Tim Allen at: TAHats@starpower.net
        He could talk your ear off about hats and is very helpful. As I recall, when he and I spoke last, we had the same type of conversation. I believe that as far as commonality and popularity, the flat top style slouch was premiere! Hope this helps
        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

I was looking for information about the "montana peak" style hat and found the following on a NPS site talking about the origins of their uniform hat:

"This style of hat (Montana Peak) was made famous by John B. Stetson, the
          American hat maker, who produced this style in 1863. His hats,
          made of wool felt, had creases in the front and back of the crown
          creating four dents that formed a peak. This style was nicknamed
          the "Montana peak" hat because it resembled the glacier peaks of
          Montana."

I like this style hat (I do WWI too) and was wondering if anyone has any more info about this style. Another site described this style as being popular in Texas in the 1880's. I have not seen it in photos, but I'm still looking.
          Thanks,
          Warren Clark

Comment

I'm not so sure about that style. I kinda know a little about post-war styles, and I haven't really seen anything that describes that in the 1880's. Are you sure it was Stetson that produced it? As far as I know Stetson began to produce his hats around 1865, and created the first true cowboy hat just after the war had ended. Therefore, most of his hats wouldn't really fit the Civil War period. Clearwater offers a model of some Stetson hats in their Old West catalogue. I believe his first hat is called "The King of the Plains".
            Andrew Donovan
            Livonia, MI
            5th Texas Co. E
            Medich Battalion
            Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Montana and Dakota Peak

I recalled reading somewhere and I believe it was in reference to the Spanish American War that the prevelant style was the Dakota Peak which was the sides crushed in and a fold straight down the middle.

( from: http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/camph.htm)
              the US Army adopted the "Montana peak" style, officially on September 8, 1911. As to their origin one can only guess. Previously in the Spanish-American war and Philippine Insurrection many troops peaked their M1883, M1903 hats this way rather than the regulation fore and aft crease, in order to shed water better.

However the regulations say nothing about it:

Regulations and Decisions
              Pertaining to the
              Uniform of the Army
              Of the
              United States (1898)

FATIGUE AND STRAW HATS.

43. ALL ENLISTED MEN - Of drab-colored felt, according to pattern in office of the Quartermaster General; to be worn in the field, and in garrison only on fatigue and stable duty, at target practice, and when the rubber coat, blanket, or poncho is worn; the color to be uniform for both officers and enlisted men in each troop, battery, or company. During the warm season the department commanders may authorize an inexpensive straw hat, of such pattern as they may prescribe, to be worn by officers and enlisted men of their commands, on fatigue and stable duty, at target practice, and when not on duty.

The is from http://www.cspra.com/hat_history.html and is a Park Ranger info page:
              The story begins in 1858, when John B. Stetson started west, possibly to die of "consumption", which he had contracted working with his family in the hat trade. There are innumerable tales of dying men regaining their health when confronted with the challenge and healthy hard work of "winning the West". But, John B. Stetson returned to Philadelphia a healthy man in 1863 to reenter the hat trade.

During the summer of 1862, while sitting around a campfire near Pike's Peak, Stetson, who had been showing his fellow wanderers the felting process, decided to make a felt hat. Using the fur from jackrabbits, beavers, skunks, and any other fur-bearing animal he could find, Stetson made his first genuine Stetson hat. It was big and very peculiar looking but it protected Stetson from the wind, rain, and sun. Some of his companions admired it, but most of them considered the odd looking hat to be a perfect object for jokes and wisecracks. But, when a Mexican bullwhacker offered him a five-dollar gold piece for it the kidding came to an abrupt halt; at the same time the first sale of a genuine Stetson hat was made.

When Stetson returned to the hat trade in Philadelphia his first commercially successful hat was copied after the one he had made earlier around the Pike's Peak campfire. Called the "Boss of the Plains", it was a natural colored hat, with a four inch brim, four inch top, and a strap which served as a band. At first it was made of one grade of material and sold for five dollars. During the years the material grew finer and the cost increased until finally a thirty-dollar price tag was attached to pure beaver, or nutria hat. This "Boss of the Plains" Is truly the hat from which all of our modern Stetsons evolved.

While I wouldn't say that the "Montana Peak isnt period I dont think it really took off until the post war period.
              I am, etc.
              Thomas Gingras
              Awkward Squad Mess
              Columbia Rifles
              Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Thanks for the additional information. After reading this and exchanging email with Tim Allen, I agree that the Montana Peak style is probably not correct for WBTS and is more of a post war western style.
                Thanks,
                Warren Clark

Comment

Originally posted by cwarren64
                  Thanks for the additional information. After reading this and exchanging email with Tim Allen, I agree that the Montana Peak style is probably not correct for WBTS and is more of a post war western style.
                  Thanks,
                  Warren Clark
                  I was always of the impression that the "Montana Peak" was a late 1880s to 1900s style.
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hats

Well, my felt slouch just gave out on me not too long ago and I need to replace it, but before I rushed out and bought a new hat, I figured I'd get some input. I've noticed that almost 100% of Confederate reenactors wear slouch hats, how common was the slouch hat in the C.S. Army, and how often did other caps, like kepis and forage caps appear. I've seen several variations of the Confederate kepi, and I know the forage cap has two brims, and with all these options, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm just trying to gain some insight as to what hats were common, and hopefully this will help me in the selection of a new hat. I'm attempting to portray a Western Confederate soldier early in the war.
                    Your most obedient servant,
                    Pvt. Brett M. Beeman
                    3rd, Florida, Company A, Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Re: Early War Confederate Headgear

In lookinf back through "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown" by Thomas Arliskas, I've come across something that was reported at Ft. Donelson, "Hats of every fashion worn for the last twenty years...." That's pretty broad, ranging from wheel hats to McDowell's to slouches. Remember too that some of them just went bare headed if they couldn't get a hat. Is there a more specific type soldier that you are looking to portray?
                      [I]"Don't give me the, 'they've got on kevlar jackets and chainmail underwear' excuse. I can see their head!"[/I]

Cpl. Robert Conner
                      Co. I, 6th N.C.S.T.
                      [I]"The Sandy Britches Bunch"[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by bmbeeman
                        Well, my felt slouch just gave out on me not too long ago and I need to replace it, but before I rushed out and bought a new hat, I figured I'd get some input. I've noticed that almost 100% of Confederate reenactors wear slouch hats, how common was the slouch hat in the C.S. Army, and how often did other caps, like kepis and forage caps appear. I've seen several variations of the Confederate kepi, and I know the forage cap has two brims, and with all these options, I feel a bit overwhelmed. I'm just trying to gain some insight as to what hats were common, and hopefully this will help me in the selection of a new hat. I'm attempting to portray a Western Confederate soldier early in the war.
                        The first thing you might want to do is go by your unit's guidlines. They should have researched documentation of your unit's uniforms and equipment. If you are an independent, then search the THOUSANDS of pics on the internet of Confederate soldiers. Western soldiers wore caps and hats of different varieties. You should be able to come up with headgear you like by viewing those photos.
                        Everett Taylor
                        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ewtaylor
                          The first thing you might want to do is go by your unit's guidlines. They should have researched documentation of your unit's uniforms and equipment. If you are an independent, then search the THOUSANDS of pics on the internet of Confederate soldiers. Western soldiers wore caps and hats of different varieties. You should be able to come up with headgear you like by viewing those photos.
                          Everett Taylor
                          I agree with Mr. Taylor. Check out the 100's of existing Confederate photographs and pick out a soldier and follow that picture. You should use as core research, the unit you are portraying, East or Western theatre, Early 1861, Bull Run, Missouri, or Early 1862 and the opening campaigns of the War, Fort Donelson, Peninsular, and go from there. Slow down and do a good job.

Tom Arliskas,
                          Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown
                          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Where's Charles with the NCO question?
                            Derek Carpenter
                            Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Well, from the looks of things, my unit doesn't seem to have any guidlines, we wear anything from a blue kepi to a slouch, and no two soldiers wear the same uniform. I guess I will take your advice and start looking at some period photographs to see if I can find something I like.

Thanks.
                              Your most obedient servant,
                              Pvt. Brett M. Beeman
                              3rd, Florida, Company A, Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Man, you guys need to set some guidelines as far as your appearence. While the army as a whole may not be uniform, individuals would at least somewhat resemble the rest of their unit. Is there any particular unit you're portraying?
                                [I]"Don't give me the, 'they've got on kevlar jackets and chainmail underwear' excuse. I can see their head!"[/I]

Cpl. Robert Conner
                                Co. I, 6th N.C.S.T.
                                [I]"The Sandy Britches Bunch"[/I]

Comment

Working...
                                X