Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Early War Confederate Headgear

My unit is Company A of the 3rd Florida Volunteers and I've been trying to find some information on thier uniforms, but all I can find is muster rolls.
    Your most obedient servant,
    Pvt. Brett M. Beeman
    3rd, Florida, Company A, Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by bmbeeman
      My unit is Company A of the 3rd Florida Volunteers and I've been trying to find some information on thier uniforms, but all I can find is muster rolls.

Brett sending you a PM.
      Robert Collett
      8th FL / 13th IN
      Armory Guards
      WIG

Comment

I like the tricorn varieties for early war. Under-represented for that impression in my humble opinion.

Comment

I read an account of a reb from a texas inf unit about getting headgear when theirs wore out.

basically they cut branches from trees and laid them down next to railroad tracks. when a train came by, they would turn summersualts, and generally make alot of noise, and when the people stuck their heads out the train windows to see what was going on, the soldiers would grab the branches and run em along the side of the train and wind up with piles of civillian hats that they could choose from.

so this could explain ANY kind of hat, I've even worn top hats in the ranks for early war, a good variety looks awesome.

if I can dig up the book, I will quote it.

Ian B.

Comment

I'll remember that the next time I see an Amtrack train!
            [I]"Don't give me the, 'they've got on kevlar jackets and chainmail underwear' excuse. I can see their head!"[/I]

Cpl. Robert Conner
            Co. I, 6th N.C.S.T.
            [I]"The Sandy Britches Bunch"[/I]

Comment

Wheel Hats

Hi,

Can someone direct me to any posts, websites, etc. showing men with wheel hats. I am wanting / trying to portray a civil war railroader ( engineer or fireman ) and would like to see what individuals wore wheel hats and what other garments or accessories the individuals may have had so that I can be correct.

I am aware of the book "DRESSED FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHER", and told that I can find CdV's on other civil war sites. I was just hoping someone may have already whittled through the material that is out there and help me get right to the meat.

Thank you all!

Mark Phillips
              Civil War Railroader
              Frederick, MD
              Mark Phillips
              Civil War Railroader
              Frederick, MD
              [email]bbjimbo@yahoo.com[/email]

Comment

Re: Hats

I'd say, look at Dirty Billy's. He sells all kinds of hats,and they're well worth the money. Otherwise, try the QM shop.

Comment

Mr. Border Ruffian-

As to your hat label: "James Gibbes" as a name is VERY South Carolinian name. Can't confirm if he had a hat shop in Columbia, though. I can tell you the name is landed gentry from before the war there. There is a Gibbes Art Museum in Charleston near the old Farmer's Market and a Gibbes Street there too. Certain names are pretty recognizeable as "old names" in South Carolina to those that are from that great State. ;)

He was the owner of Columbia Mills Manufacturing there in Columbia SC, though and could have easily sold hats...

Try this link for research on your hat label:
                  The University of South Carolina is a globally recognized, high-impact research university located in Columbia, South Carolina.

I am from Myrtle Beach, SC originally. Love to get back there as my heart is there, but job takes me elsewhere for now... Oh well. :(

God Bless America and South Carolina both so dear! -Johnny
                  Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny:

I also have a Clearwater Hat, but my label says: "Silas Carrington Beaver Hats, Savannah"...................I haven't been able to find a thing on that name.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][/FONT]Jaye Curtis
                    12th Texas Infantry
                    Walker's Division
                    Army of the Trans-Mississippi

Comment

Hello All. Personally, I am a fan of mechanic's capsand wheel hats. You see them really frequently in original photographs of both civilians and millitary. Dirty Billy sells a good one but I just make my own. They are easy to make and they look really sharp if you completely hand sew them. You can see my instructions for how to make one at www.theyoungcampaigner.com.

Sincerely,
                      William Chapman
                      40th Va. Infantry
                      and
                      Signal Corps of the James
                      www.theyoungcampaigner.com
                      Sincerely,
                      William H. Chapman
                      Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

Hello All. Personally, I am a fan of mechanic's caps and wheel hats. You see them all the time in original photos of millitary and civilians. Dirty Billy sells a nice one but I prefer to make my own. They are easy to make and they look really sharp when they are completely hand sewn. You can see my instructions on making one at www.theyoungcampaigner.com.

Sincerely,
                        Pvt. William Chapman
                        40th Va. Infantry
                        and
                        Signal Corps of the James
                        Sincerely,
                        William H. Chapman
                        Liberty Rifles

"They are very ignorant, but very desperate and very able." -Harper's Weekly on the Confederate Army, December 14, 1861

Comment

check out CS prisoner photos from late in the war. Very informative and show what hats truly looked liked after they have been in the field awhile. Reenactors aren't into floppy hats, and I understand why, but look at the evidence. Sam Cathey

Comment

Hey young fella, thanks for the heads up on the cap construction. I've made a couple kepi's and forage caps, think I'll try a couple of those tomorrow out of some of my scrap materials. I wear a huge hat, size 8 1/4. Got a dimension on the bill so I can expand it to get proportion correct?
                            Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                            Old wore out Bugler

Comment

8 1/4..... WOW, I thought my 7 5/8 hat size was big. You got one big noggin Patrick!!!
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Semper Fi
                              -ONV
                              -WIG
                              -CIR!

Comment

Hello Patick.
                                Hey young fella, thanks for the heads up on the cap construction. I've made a couple kepi's and forage caps, think I'll try a couple of those tomorrow out of some of my scrap materials. I wear a huge hat, size 8 1/4. Got a dimension on the bill so I can expand it to get proportion correct?
                                Yes. The dimensions can be altered any way that you want so that they are proportionate to your head. It should work pretty well.
                                Sincerely,
                                William H. Chapman
                                Liberty Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X