146th New York Uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 146th New York Uniforms

Hello everyone, This is my attempt at a first post. :) I am making a few Zouaves uniforms and I have been researching the 146th for a few weeks now. Unfortunately I have exhausted Google and all of the internet sources like C J Daley, and the study of Chauncey B. Smith's uniform.

I don't know much about the lining of the jacket. (Is it pieced the same as the jacket itself with a 6 piece construction? How did they do the breast pockets?)

This is a fun little project, and I have a bit of time to hold off for more information but the material is screaming "MAKE ME! MAKE ME!" Any information on the construction of the jacket and trousers would be greatly appreciated!
    Samantha Jayle

Re: 146th New York Uniforms

Have you contacted the NYS Military Museum in Saratoga?

They have an incredible amount of information on most of the NYS regiments and they may have some diaries. letters. or QM material you can access.
    Bob Sandusky
    Co C 125th NYSVI
    Esperance, NY

Comment

Originally posted by Sewing Vixen View Post
      Any information on the construction of the jacket and trousers would be greatly appreciated!
      Ms. Jayle,

Ah, but you're missing one of the other original 146th uniforms that's resurfaced recently:

Don't forget to use that "Search" function, I noticed several threads pertaining to the distinctive "Garrard's Tigers" uniform by just typing "146th New York."

On that note, should you still require further information two good people, that I can think off the top of head, to contact would be Matt Caldwell and the "Duryeé Zouaves" (who alternately portray the 146th N.Y. as well)(http://www.webcom.com/kepi/).

As you've read, these are all Schuylkil Arsenal produced uniforms. Meaning, if you're wanting strictly authentic repros, you're gonna have a lifetime of handstitching ahead just to turn out two or more sets.

Good luck,
      Jason C. Spellman
      Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Well I assume you've checked out a copy of the regimental history from ILL.

If you did, you'd know that the zouave uniforms were issued after Chancellorsville (I think it was after, but I could be mistaken). Before that, like at Fredericksburg, Garrard's Tigers were wearing New York State jackets with dark blue trousers and forage caps.

Bill
        Bill Backus

Comment

Yes, I saw that post about the 146th. I have been fallowing that uniform for a bit now. I love the idea of hand sewing the uniforms. I feel that every uniform that I make is a work of art, and not something to be rushed.

Does anyone know where I can get jean cloth? I have been looking but I can't find a source.
          Samantha Jayle

Comment

Well, you can always post an ad in the "Wanting to Buy" folder on the Forum. Or two of the most notable vendors selling fabric is Ben Tart (http://www.bentart.com/index.html) or County Cloth (http://www.crchilds.com/index.htm).
            Jason C. Spellman
            Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Do you need the jean cloth for the 146th uniforms? I wasn't aware that they were jean.
              ~ Chris Hubbard
              Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
              [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

You might want to contact Patrick Schroeder, the historian at Appomattox National Historical Park. He's the reigning authority on all things 146th NY.

On April 9, 1865, the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia in the McLean House in the village of Appomattox Court House, Virginia signaled the effective end of the nation's largest war. Questions remained: could the nation reunite as one? How would emancipation be realized?

- Tom Green
                - Tom Green

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseBoxRaft
                  Do you need the jean cloth for the 146th uniforms? I wasn't aware that they were jean.
                  Ms. Vixen is referring to the lining for the jacket, which the Chandler and Henry S. White uniforms both use.

Originally posted by Minieball577 View Post
                  You might want to contact Patrick Schroeder, the historian at Appomattox National Historical Park. He's the reigning authority on all things 146th NY.
                  Yes, Pat's also a good source. He can also be reached via his website: http://www.civilwar-books.com/
                  Jason C. Spellman
                  Skillygalee Mess

Comment

Working...
                  X