19th Massachusetts Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19th Massachusetts Infantry

I would be interested to know if anyone here has done much research on this regiment, it's companies, and if anyone knows of their uniforms and equipment (to the extent they may have differed from other units). I had an ancestor in this regiment and would be curious about anyone's research.

Regards,

Sam Kilborn Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: 19th Massachusetts Infantry

Check out this site http://www.wardhousebooks.com/MA9-19infantry.html They sell mass regimental histories.Then you can research them yourself
    Pvt. Scott Kuzia
    22nd MVI

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion and link!

-Sam K Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

Heres another:

Sam Lowe
        Botsford Mess
        Sam Lowe
        Sally Port Mess
        Western Rifles

Aut Viam invenium aut faciam

Comment

Hi Sam,

I've done a fair amount of research on the 19th.

I live in Saugus, MA were the GAR post was named after Edward Hinks, the first colonel of the 19th. Company K of the 19th was the Boston Tiger Fire Zouaves and Charlie Newhall was their first sergeant. The Saugus Historical Society has a few of his relics from the war including his cartridge box, his uniform buttons, his canteen, and some hardtack (still just as tasty as ever ).

John P. Reynolds of Salem, MA was a captain in the 19th and collected uniforms after the war. They are now in the collection of the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem. Unfortunately he didn't document what they were or where he got them, so there is a little bit of guessing game to figure out what units they came from. Some of them are likely from the 19th.

Anything specific you are looking for?

Regards,

Paul Kenworthy

Comment

Thanks for that update. I suppose my main interest would be in Company C, which I suspect was raised in Essex County. Our people come from Ispwich and surrounding areas. My ancestor served in that company and was wounded on June 25, 1862.

I have an original pension record for him from the Commonwealth listing payment of 50.00 for "An Arm". He stayed in the service and according to the records I have found served in the 2nd Battalion VRC.

Sadly an uncle of mine hocked his relics about 25-30 years ago.

Sam Kilborn Dolan
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

For a battle specific report with excellent maps featuring the 19th Mass movements try Antietam, the Soldier's Battle, by Michael Priest. The author pieced together the moment by moment movements with the 1st Minnesota in the West Woods, and how those two regiments survived and retreated together in tolerable order when all around them lost order.

The 19th and the 1st Minn had a close relationship, even though not in the same brigade. At Gettysburg they went into the Angle together as well.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
              X