Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 20th TN Uniform discussion

Update:

No Quartermaster records appear in the company officer CSRs that date before March 1863. Nothing in either Col. Shy's or T. B. Smith's record for the period either. Did find a few pay vouchers for the end of September 1862 -- looks like they got paid off for two months at that point.

Records get better for the March 1863 -- July 1864 period. Missonary Ridge period is especially well represented -- September 30 issues heavy on pants, shirts and hats -- small numbers of jackets being issued. December 1863 returns again show small numbers of jackets -- fewer than one would expect. Pants again being issued in larger numbers. Companies A, D, F were receiving hats throughout the Missionary Ridge period -- Company B got a few caps during the same time (no hats issued in either September or December).

Pre-Atlanta Campaign issues look standard. One thing that is interesting is a March 1864 Ordnance Return in Col. Shy's record that shows the receipt of 13 Austrian rifles and 1,500 rounds of .54 ammunition. At the same time he received some .577 ammunition. Looks like a mix of arms during the Atlanta Campaign. Interesting that worn out .577 guns were being replaced with Austrians.
    Daryl Black

Comment

It is very interesting that so few jackets were being issued to the companies while occupying portions of Tennessee. This spans the Tullahoma Campaign through the Chattanooga Campaign. I dare say; could it be that these men are receiving clothing from “home” (i.e. middle Tennessee)? On a more serious note, it is interesting that pants are being issued in fairly large numbers but without coats or jackets. It seems as though if the men were receiving clothing from home, they would be sent a suit of cloths. What are the postulations on this phenomenon? Perhaps the pants wear out faster? Could it have been more difficult to receive pants in September with middle Tennessee cut off, but the coats still remain intact?

CY
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
      [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

My guess is that there was some kind of "extra" issue of clothing or at least of coats or jackets that doesn't appear in the QMD records. Pants do indeed wear faster -- isn't there a SC account of them rubbing out a pair in 1 month? Jackets about 3 months? I'm basing my calculation of an extra issue on this kind of pattern and photographic evidence of frock coats on 20th TN prisoners just after Missionary Ridge. My thinking is -- jackets issued in late September -- by the 3 month rule they should be worn out by mid to late December. One would expect to see a big issue of jackets in December. But there are VERY few jackets issued in late December according to the QMD records. November 26 or 27 picture shows a group in coats that don't look at all hard worn. Where they came from is hard to say.
        Daryl Black

Comment

Sir, while you are at it, could you possible check on the 20th Tenn records, if there are any, for the Mill Springs peroid?
          Frank Perkin
          Sally Port Mess
          WIG
          Visit Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne. Learn about the Coalition's projects and events for the season.

Frank,
          I dont know if your still interested, or if this is even the right way of doing this, but I recently talked to Bill Neikirk of the Mill Springs Battlefield Association about the 20th tenn. during the time of the battle, the only info he had about their uniforms was that according to finds and digs from their camp at beech grove, alot of civilian buttons were found, some of which are in the museum, my ggg grandfather Thomas H. Bird fought in co. H. so Im always looking for new info of them, hope this helps some.

Jessie Byrd
          Breckinridge greys
          Jessie Byrd
          Breckinridge greys
          Hardcase boys
          Casey 424 F&AM

"Un-F@$k yourselves! March!

Comment

Working...
          X