Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Auction Items

Folks,

Mike Kent is having a great auction on Ebay right now with some factastic CS and US items including this jewel below. The images of the items could be better but they should be a great reference for the more material culture minded. The image is just great...so what can you pick out??

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA

Re: Great Auction Items

Neil,

Correct me if I'm wrong...but is this not an English set of accoutrements?
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Those defiantly look like English leathers.
      Russell L. Stanley
      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
      Co.A 45th Mississippi
      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Folks,

Thanks for chiming in. Yep, kindof a no-brainer I guess but y'all are correct in that they are a full set of English accoutrements. Finding good images showing such things are a rarity hence my excitement. You'll note the nice, wide cartridge box strap, called a 'belt' by the English, along with the cartridge box (called a 'pouch') peeking out on the left side. Likewise, when the image is enhanced, you can also make out the ball bag. Nice waist belt too!

Some nice auction items to boot. Good stuff!

Neill Rose
        PLHA

Comment

They sure have some beautiful artifacts.... "If I were a rich man" My favortite is the flute case, I'm sure with some research you could discover the owner. Where did they get this much stuff from?
          Charles Pinkham
          Company D, Minnesota First

Comment

Neil, thank you very much for posting this! The collection of the 4th Georgia officers and the federal enlisted men are great to look at.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Herb,

Always like sharing stuff like this as there's no substitute for looking at original items. Yep, that image grouping defies logic. What a great variation in the officers' clothing!

Cheers,

Neill Rose
              PLHA

Comment

Hey Fellas,

Wow, if I only had the dough! There are some great Confederate images in the auction, and as mentioned the 4th Georgia officers cdvs are great so I included a link to the lot:

However, I'd be a little leary of the Confederate uniforms. The Confederate 2nd Lieut's infantry shell jacket (lot #104) maybe post war, reunion, etc. I think it is the same jacket that was listed in the Heritage Gallery Civil War auction when they sold the J.E.B. Stuart flag. I'll have to check my catalog for compare, but I think it sold for well below 10,000. I know they did list it as a "re-enactor uniform". The Georgia cadet swallowtail coat (lot #108) looks pretty cool, but I wonder if it was G.M.I. issue? some obscure militia unit?

Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
                16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
                Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

My first reaction to looking at this picture is the person has feminine features. Is it possible this person is a women?
                  Samantha Jayle

Comment

I noticed the feminine features as well. If it is a woman, she has "man-hands".

Notice the blueing on that Enfield.
                    [B]Mike Wilkins[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewing Vixen View Post
                      My first reaction to looking at this picture is the person has feminine features. Is it possible this person is a women?
                      Woman? Never once thought this soldier was a woman.....

I really hope we do not see people posting their opinions about whether it's a woman or not.
                      Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 09-20-2007, 10:20 AM.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
                      Cincinnati

Comment

Not a woman...just a young male kid. Jerome Marcellus Clark aka Sue Mundy had fem features also, but that's about as far as it went.
                        Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                        Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                        Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                        Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                        KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Item number: 280154132867

Ambulance Canteen. Exactly like the one pictured in Lords Vol. 5 page 131. This one does not have the stencil, but is identical in every way. It has 6 tin bands forming the legs, is made of oak, has a carrying handle, brass screw-down cover, and spout
                          It’s remarkable how similar this is to WW2 three, five and eight gallon life raft water kegs. BB-55 has at least one of these in each life raft today plus a few dozen stored in the Marine locker.

I pulled a rotting one of a derelict shrimp boat when I was younger. I still have the bands and the bronze stopper.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM.
                          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

For those of you in the Chattanooga & Atlanta areas (or even farther if you are willing to drive) that auction will be going on live at the North West Georgia Trade Center in Dalton, GA on Saturday 9/22/07. The auction starts at 10:00 AM. This is the same building where the Dalton CW show is held. Mike is the largest CW promoter around, and promotes the Nashville, Charleston & Dalton shows, just to name a few.

The auction has a "Who's Who" list of consigners, as practically every major dealer in the country has contributed items to help out with Mike's first foray into the auction field. There are also at least two museum collections involved, including that of the old Confederate museum that was in Gettysburg.

If you have the time and are in the area tomorrow, the preview is 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM on Friday 9/21/07. You can also see the whole catalog (including the e-bay banned guns) at http://www.mikekentauctions.com.

I look forward to bumping into some of you there.
                            [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
                            [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
                            [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
                            Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
                            Member The Company of Military Historians
                            Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
                            Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
                            [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

An added plus for those who make it to the auction - Dug Gap is about a mile away, with hundred of yards of original riflepits and works.
                              Ross L. Lamoreaux
                              rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Working...
                              X