Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An apple amid the cornstalks.

Originally posted by hardtack1864
    Now Thehos, you said the apples are that big in Oct and not in mid Sept Maryland. Also that haversack maybe something else I DON'T @#$%^&8 KNOW!!!! One more thing, if that is not a shoe sole next to the food item in question then what is it and that was a GUESS on the shoe size because it could very well be size 6-13!!!!!! It was a GUESS since that was the average shoe size of the TIME!!!
    Sheesh! Calm down! All I was saying was that the apples get big at Battleview Orchards in Freehold, New Jersey. I wasn't making any claims to anything other than they get pretty whacking big.

As for me, I don't think that the object next to the disputed piece of produce is a shoe. It doesn't appear to have a heel, or if the heel were removed for some reason, any nail/tack markings for where the heel would have been attached. However, I do retract my earlier assertion that the whitish object to the upper left of the disputed piece of produce is a rock. There does appear to be a strap coming off of it, and yes, that would be an amazingly strong beam of light to illuminate a grey rock to that bright a white. It could be a haversack, it could be a small satchel, but we'll never know for certain unless a new image from the opposite site of the road is discovered. Photoshop is great, but it doesn't let me move around 141 year old camera positions.

To prove that I am totally obsessive/compulsive, I performed my own recreation of the scene out in the fields of Jackson, NJ. I submit the following to aid in discerning whether or not it is an apple or a tomato.

The original:

A Rome apple:

A vine ripened tomato (not a Jersey tomato):

A can of Sacramento tomato juice:
    Last edited by ThehosGendar; 01-09-2004, 08:21 PM.
    Jason R. Wickersty
    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Sheesh! Calm down! All I was saying was that the apples get big at Battleview Orchards in Freehold, New Jersey. I wasn't making any claims to anything other than they get pretty whacking big up here in the 21st century.

As for me, I don't think that the object next to the disputed piece of produce is a shoe. It doesn't appear to have a heel, or if the heel were removed for some reason, any nail/tack markings for where the heel would have been attached. However, I do retract my earlier assertion that the whitish object to the upper left of the disputed piece of produce is a rock. There does appear to be a strap coming off of it, and yes, that would be an amazingly strong beam of light to illuminate a grey rock to that bright a white. It could be a haversack, it could be a small satchel, but we'll never know for certain unless a new image from the opposite site of the road is discovered. Photoshop is great, but it doesn't let me move around 141 year old camera positions.

To prove that I am totally obsessive/compulsive, I performed my own recreation of the scene out in the fields of Jackson, NJ. I submit the following to aid in discerning whether or not it is an apple or a tomato.

The original:

A Rome apple:

A vine ripened tomato (not a Jersey tomato):

A can of Sacramento tomato juice:

I wear a size 9 shoe, and although the sole of my shoe is close in size to the mysterious object below the disputed piece of produce (MOBtDPoP), it would have to be only the sole of a shoe laying there, as if it were the entire shoe, it would obscure a majority of the produce item. Also, by comparing the MOBtDPoP to the debris around it which is laying flat on the ground, one can see that there is not much mass to it, for it, as well, is laying nearly flat on the ground.
      Last edited by ThehosGendar; 01-09-2004, 08:35 PM.
      Jason R. Wickersty
      http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
      Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
      Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
      Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
      Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Jason,

Nice touch! The can of tomato juice fits in nicely.

I'm pretty sure the battlefield was covered with cans, since the Confederate army marched through a "tomato juice factory" before all hell broke loose. (does anybody have a can opener?) Where's the "cross-eyed smiley face" when you need it? Doh! old forum....

I remain,

Hog-eyed
        Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 01-09-2004, 09:14 PM.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
        Cincinnati

Comment

Jason:

I don't think that the can in the third reproduced image is actually "Sacramento" tomato juice. I just ran out to the corner store to check and, while the can looks quite similar, it's size is just a bit off and the label appears to be a tad bit more yellow than the golden hue of the examined specimen. I suppose the only way I’ll know for sure is to conduct a field survey of the size and color of “Sacramento” tomato juice cans sold in Jackson, NJ and surrounding areas. Perhaps the manufacturer can assist me in determining the exact date the batch was made and bottled.

For the record, the shoe to which I compared my specimen was a size 11 ½.

Tschuss.
          [FONT=microsoftsansserif][SIZE=2]James R. Pfeiffer

Comment

This has got to stop! I spent a couple of hours this morning at work downloading pictures from the NA and examining them. Now I have to go in on Sat to get my work done. I did discover a couple of interesting things. One dead Confederate in the wheatfield with what appears to be wooden coat buttons. Another had shoes with hob nails. Did not see any shoes with heel plates (one possible but not conclusive). The picture of the three Confederate prisoners standing by the pile of fence rails is especially clear for the soldier on the left. He doesn't look very happy.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Sorry for getting upset and one other reason I think it is a tomato is because I heard that during the antieam campaign the soldiers just had GREEN apples and corn to eat. Also today apples that big could most likely be that big in sept. with gene stuff, but back then I don't think so.

Comment

This closeup view should be seen relative to the cartridge box and not the supposed shoe. Then the apple(?) doesn't seem so enormous.

Jason, can you close in on the corpses? I would love to see the men more closely as I suspect they are members of the 14th NCT of Anderson's Brigade.(Many from my hometown)

And remember that the three-D affect makes closer shots look even bigger. Gardner's famous photograghs are truly amazing. This photo after which the 130th PA Volunteers had the grusome task of interring 138 of the piled up bodies where this closeup was taken of the aftermath. They were buried in a trench just north in a field adjacent to the road .

Mark Berrier
                North State Rifles
                combinations@northstate.net
                Mark Berrier

Comment

Along the same line with what Mark said, when viewed against the Cartridge box the piece of fruit does not look as big as it did before. Likewise the "haversack" looks incredibly small. I think that the “haversack” might just be an optical trick on some other kind of object.
                  Brian Koenig
                  SGLHA
                  Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I have to say that this pic. you have is very cool.

But, I dont think you could really tell what kind of apple
                    it is because there are alot of different kinds of apples. Maybe if you would look into the time period you could find out what types there were and you can go from there
                    Waylon Pashong
                    hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

...Winesap.
                      [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

What? No apple juice? We need equal representaion here!
                        Anyway- my vote is for apple.
                        Chris
                        Chris Curtis

Comment

Being in the law enforcement community, I think the only reasonable solution is to conduct a line-up. Just imagine:

Grumpy detective: "Alright Farmer Miller, I realize your specialty is corn, but if you would take a look at the group of suspects and tell me if you have ever seen any of these before."

Farmer Miller: (excitedly pointing) "That's him! That's the one! I would know him anywhere. The waxy red skin. That bruised place. The way his stem is shaped. I'll never forget him for as long as I live."

As I've read this thread I've wondered if we should also debate whether the suspect piece of produce is male or a female dressed as a male. Oh wait a minute, that's the other thread.

Mike Randles
                          Tongue In Cheek Mess
                          Mike Randles
                          The Beloved Ruth Smythers Mess

Comment

the hole in the center is manufactured. Clearly this is the wheel off a 1985 Tonka truck.......
                            [FONT=Century Gothic]Alan Poor/Independent[/FONT]

Comment

Cornstalks or vines in the road........

“I got over a fence and like not to have gotten out again, the fence being high on the inside, built against a bank by the side of the road. But I got out with my grapes, they were good, too. I saw some gooseberries but they were to my tongue like eating needles; I did not know the nature of the berries green.”
                              William Judkins (same letter as previous qoute)
                              22nd Ga.
                              Wright's Brigade
                              Anderson's Division
                              Marlin Teat
                              [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

All these photos are sadly broken in this thread. Can we upload them and preserve this for later parousal?
                                Paul Calloway
                                Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                                Proud Member of the GHTI
                                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
                                X