Massachusetts State jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts State jacket?

I am not very familiar with the State jacket being a common garment when compared to that of the sack coat amongst Massachusetts regiments.

New York, certainly; but Massachusetts?

CLICK HERE

Being that the 3rd Massachusetts was a 12-month outfit, perhaps some cadet natured elements were exampled quite frequently in such a regiment?

Again, I don't know, as my knowledge of the Massachusetts State jacket is scarce.

I guess my true motive for questioning is this: How common was the State jacket among Massachusetts men and within which known groups?

Pvt. Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Re: Massachusetts State jacket?

No one wants to touch this one, eh?

;)

Comment

I'd be interested in more information on Massachusetts State Jacket details as well. The photo shows some obvious features, like epaulettes, and the seller claims MASS state buttons visible under magnification. Also noticeable is what appears to be a white handkerchief at the 4th button down (of a 9-button front???), suggesting a left breast pocket.
      Last edited by Ian M.; 09-28-2007, 07:24 AM. Reason: fix typos
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

I noticed those trademark features as well!

I guess I'm going to have to start researching this on my own.

It'd be really great if there was a quality vendor looking to get in on this!

Regardless, details as they develop, I suppose; at least I know one person is interested.

Comment

I was curious about this original post, but when I saw the attached photo with a second Massachusetts soldier wearing one it got me to wondering about it. From the Civil War Research Database on the attached photo:

John S. Larrabee
          Residence South Boston MA; a 22 year-old Machinist.

Enlisted on 5/25/1861 as a Private.

On 5/25/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. MA 1st Infantry
          He was Mustered Out on 5/25/1864 at Boston, MA

He was listed as:
          * POW 5/3/1863 Chancellorsville, VA
          * Gained 10/8/1863 (place not stated)

As both of these soldiers are from regiments that left Massachusetts in the early months of 1861 they would have left the state in the official militia gray uniforms. The coats these men are wearing most probably came from national supplies that were bought up from private stocks to clothe the army in union blue as fast as possible. Since the Militia jackets would have had the state militia buttons on them it would be plausible for them to end up on the government issued jacket as stated in the case of the 3rd Mass.

Just an initial thought.
          Attached Files
          I am, etc.
          Thomas Gingras
          Awkward Squad Mess
          Columbia Rifles
          Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Very interesting stuff. I wonder, then, what would be appropriate for such an impression?

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

Working...
            X