What Kinda Knapsack is This??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kinda Knapsack is This??

I had a question I've been meaning to ask for some time now. It surfaced in the previous discussion thread but I figured a separate post would be more appropriate:

Originally posted by SalemCadet View Post
    It's my understanding that some Zouaves were issued
    unpainted knapsacks. I have heard in the past that Ellsworth's N.Y. Fire Zouaves, most specifically, were issued such items (along with unpainted haversacks; though I have never been able to evidence this).
    No disrespect Mr. O'Keefe, but I was under the impression that the Zouaves had a completely different model (or models). One that can be seen in five documentations (see attachments). I particularly want to know what kind No. 3 & 5 are:

No. 1 & 2 -- Two drawings by Thos. Nast of the 1st Fire Zouaves. Note that in the first attachment, there is no apparent chest strap. Also, that the back overlapping straps do not cross over each other but remain strictly vertical.

No. 3 -- The imfamous photograph of Francis E. Brownell ,"Ellsworth's Avenger." His "soft knapsack" does have the chest strap. The material appears to be made of tarred canvas. See how shiny it is?

No. 4 -- Drawing by Alfred Waud in '61 of the 1st Fire Zouaves. The knapsack portrayed here looks to be the same hardpack as in No. 1/2. Two interesting parts are the bedroll on top and what looks to be some sort of mess tin secured between the two back straps?

No. 5 -- Finally, a soldier sportin' what I think is the same model knapsack that Brownell has. This photograph was taken at Petersburg, Va. (LC-DIG-cwpb-01229). Seen is the chest strap and oilcloth material.

So, what do ya think? What model is No. 3 & 5?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM.
    Jason C. Spellman
    Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Re: What Kinda Knapsack is This??

Sir-

1 and 2 look like bad drawings of a Federal double bag knapsack (made by a civilian not familiar with the Army's equipment?)

The pencil drawing looks like an Issac & Campbell from the English Mess Tin cover attached to the back... it appears.

Does this help a bit?

Just a thought... Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-27-2007, 11:02 AM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Maybe Mex-War style?
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

Marc Hermann has done a lot of great research on the 11th NY (1st Fire Zouaves). You may want to ask him, or if he responds to this post, about the knapsacks. I know he was talking about them having some kind of knapsack/tent combination, very interesting stuff.

Here is a link to some of his research: http://www.myrtle-avenue.com/firezou/

Thanks,
        Last edited by dnaples; 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM.
        David Naples

"History is the story English majors try to write"- Anonymous Gettysburg College History major

Comment

No disrespect taken, Mr. Spellman.

Keep in mind, however, that I was told this in passing as a possibility and not as a fact. I also stated in my post that I have never been able to find evidence to back that shared information up as truth. I myself have come across many images of Zouaves and I have never seen unpainted packs, so, the issue is certainly debatable.

In my own limited findings, though, I have found evidence that Zouaves packs, for the most part, are unique.

Pvt. Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

French? Not being sarcastic, but several units French Zouave, and Italian units used French equipment. It was imported in sets just Like the British gear was. I will have to do some digging, I think I have a maazine with an article on French gear here somewhere!

THe Mad MIck!!!
            Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Some interesting updates from a source:

The drawing in No.4 is actually a United States Zouave Cadet, Ellsworth's antebellum soldiers. Though the LoC lists the drawing as "1st New York Zouaves."

Apparently, the mysterious knapsack I've been trying to ID is a "patented rubberized tent-knapsack." Does anyone know anything more about this type? A quick search turned up no results. Scratch that, found the dimentions and more info.

Thanks all, just need a little more time and faith in myself! ;)
              Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM. Reason: Updates!
              Jason C. Spellman
              Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Lord's encyclopedia's may be of some help. they also have patent info in them.

The Mad MIck!!!
                Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Photos' 1,2 & 3 look like the "patented rubberized tent-knapsack" . Having been taken with Mike Woshner's book of late, there is a wonderful illustration in there. I think 4 looks like an Austrian type, as it is a drawing there is no telling if it is cow hide with the hair on, which a lot of Austriam knapsacks were. Do not think it is a British type.
                  [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
                  [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
                  Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Jason,

did you forget about the firezouave website ? haha

Zou ZOU!

regards,
                    Shaun
                    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Navy"]Shaun C. Grenan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    [I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Newaygo, MI[/COLOR][/I]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"[I]' Ellsworth! Remember Ellsworth!' was the chorused battle-cry with us all, and at each shout horsemen would fall from their horses, victims upon our altar of vengeance. -Member of Co, B, 1st NY Fire Zouaves, NY Leader, July 23, 1861.[/I]"[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X