Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Most Excellent Image!!

Folks,

Check www.oldsouthantiques.com/os1182p1.htm for an excellent SC image. While mid-later war CS images are extremely rare, I believe this to be one. Note the (possible) earlier Charleston Depot jacket (6 button) with what appears to be a belt loop peeking out.

Neill Rose
    PLHA

Re: A Most Excellent Image!!

Neil, What are your thoughts on clothing type issues to Gist's Brigade prior to their deployment to Mississippi in May 63? I have often wondered what "type" both the Georgia units, and South Carolina units would have had considering their stay around Charleston. My interest is a relative in the 8th. Ga. Vol. Battalion.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
    Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Excellent indeed! Check out the collar alignment as well for reaffirmation of your Charleston provenance (plus the large belt loop).
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

John,

Great question! I'll keep it real simple based on original garments here in SC and photographic images. Basically, the State of SC began issuing frock coats aka "uniform coats" in 1861. These were made by a variety of concerns such as Carr, Carter, the Industrial Girls School, etc. Around late 1862, the Charleston Clothing Bureau began producing jackets with 6 button fronts, with a variey of materials I'm sure. Sometime toward the mid-1864, it appears the Depot switched to a five button front based on three original examples. Two were in Jensen's article and the third is at the UDC Museum in Charleston.

So, I would surmise a six button front jacket would have been issued. Lots of well educated conjecture here though! The one similarity between all these garments is the collar piecing is flush with the button panel. Hope this helps!

Neill Rose
        PLHA
        Last edited by Iron Scout; 09-27-2007, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Folks,

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Neill Rose
          PLHA
          Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm,

The sitting soldier appears to have trim on his collar and cuff. The standing one doesn't. Interesting if they are from the same unit.
            Brian Gilk

Comment

Neill-

Is that an upside-down Federal eagle button in your picture? -Johnny
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
              SCAR
              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Not to steal the thread from the gentleman, but the lady has mitts!!! And the zouave jacket "not to be worn by older women." I love it. Thanks for posting.
                Annette Bethke
                Austin TX
                Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
                [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Johnny,

Don't read too much into that; it's just been turned some while buttoning.

Neill Rose
                  PLHA

Comment

Annette,

Yes, the lady has mits...but I'd be interested in what you define to be "older". I would venture to say that while this woman is definently not a teenager, she's probably not far into her twenties.

Awesome Jacket/Coat!!

Paul
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I would venture to say that while this woman is definently not a teenager, she's probably not far into her twenties.
                      The narrative with the image says she is the 39 year old mother of the boys.
                      Michael Comer
                      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                        Annette,

Yes, the lady has mits...but I'd be interested in what you define to be "older".
                        Paul
                        Generally, the information out there states that the Zouave jacket style is worn by women no older than the mid-20s. This woman doesn't fit the "usual" for her outfit. I love it when evidence contradicting the usual is found. But then I also have to wonder if she is wearing that because it is her fashion or is it a hand-me-down or something she kept from her own earlier wardrobe she is wearing due to war shortages.
                        Annette Bethke
                        Austin TX

Comment

Neill-
                          Would the original jackets have had Federal buttons from Charleston? I would think militia buttons would be more of a fit in this case considering where it was made. Is this too much of a supposition?
                          Anyway... great pics- Johnny
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Er...I beg to differ on the style of the mother's jacket. It comes down past her waist and appears to be a sack jacket to me, like the one on this page but dressier and without a belt:

It is refreshing to see the lace mitts.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Originally posted by Trish Hasenmueller View Post
                              Er...I beg to differ on the style of the mother's jacket. It comes down past her waist and appears to be a sack jacket to me,
                              Trish Hasenmueller
                              You know, I think you may be right. My mistake. Especially now that I look at it and notice the buttons all the way down.
                              Annette Bethke
                              Austin TX

Comment

Working...
                              X