A Most Excellent Image!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Most Excellent Image!!

Thanks, Annette. I have a sort of preoccupation with this type jacket. hehehe

Do you think the buttons are decorative and the jacket actually fastens with hooks? I ask because of the way it overlaps at the top and then the buttons are on the outside layer.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Johnny,

Federal eagle buttons are found on numerous CS garments even to latter issues ie. 64-65. Just FYI. Do a search as there's been numerous great discussions on this topic.

Cheers,

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

Hello-

Understood. But Federal eagle buttons on -specifically- Charleston, SC produced jackets was the question I was thinking of. I've heard plenty elsewhere of them being used-especially near Federal installations of the period. Being so specific, does anyone know or can determine this anyway? Looks like a RD Type I if it has belt loops... Thanks so much- Johnny
        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-06-2007, 05:39 PM. Reason: Durn clarifications... ! lol
        Johnny Lloyd
        John "Johnny" Lloyd
        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
        SCAR
        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hello It does not look that she is their mother, if she was 39 and one son was 20 and the other 15 at that time she would have been 9 years old when she had the first. She could be a sister or she married the boys father around that age, which means she could be the step mother of them or maybe there is another thought. Two of them look like twins, maybe she may be the older sister and she could have taken the role of the mother when their mother past away. Question are opened or the photo might be missed marked of who they are. Thank you Robert S Lanier
          Robert S Lanier (Fine as frogs hair split 3 ways and twice as curlly) and ( Happy as a tick n pack full of dwags)

Comment

Originally posted by sgt sidd View Post
            Hello It does not look that she is their mother, if she was 39 and one son was 20 and the other 15 at that time she would have been 9 years old when she had the first.
            Oops, check your math :). 39-20=19, which is plausible.
            Annette Bethke
            Austin TX
            Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
            [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Hello It looks like the photo of the 2 men and one Lady is neat, have a question for you fellows and Ladies. If She is the mother and 39 and one son is 20 the other is 15 or there about she would had to been 9 years old is that right, she could be there step mother maybe there sister who took the roll of mother when their mother died , she looks the older of all three could be there older sister. Or she could be married to one of them , the photo could maybe miss marked . Opens up question . Neat. Robert S Lanier
              Robert S Lanier (Fine as frogs hair split 3 ways and twice as curlly) and ( Happy as a tick n pack full of dwags)

Comment

Neill and Johnny,
                having seen all the original Chas Depot jackets at the Daughters of the Confederacy in Charleston I will agree with Neill on the "federal Eagle button" issue. Don't get caught up in over thinking this. Yes there were federal eagle buttons on just about every Confederate jacket. More Commmon on the Chas jackets would have been inported script buttons due to them all being made out of imported english kersey. Federal buttons were actually still cast by the southern QM depts because of the Avialibility of the old cast. Bottom line in relation to our interests, you would not go wrong by putting (good) federal issue buttons on any confederate jacket.

On the Militia button issue: I would tell you that the Charleston Depot produced jackets in the same manner as the Richmond depot, Columbus depot, and other "confederate" QM depts. Unlike the NC depot that was documented as primarialy for NC troops, on which you were more likely to have the NC sunburst buttons. Just like you wouldn't see mass amounts of richmond depots standard issue jacket with VA buttons, you wouldn't see mass amounts of Chas depot jackets with SC or militia buttons. the Chas depot was providing clothing to the dept of SC, GA, and FL with consisted of numerous units from numerous states. Granted I would be courous to see if Hagood BDE did leave the Charleston Defences for petersburg in 64 with Chas depot jackets...

my comments on this thread...

skip owens...

Just my comments on this.
                [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Sir -
                  No. 39 - 20 = 19. Now if the photo said she was 29 years old and her son was 20, then yes you would be correct, 29 - 20 = 9.
                  I beleive that it is totally plausable for her to be his mother.

Cheers,
                  Joseph Caridi
                  Joseph Caridi
                  Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

neill I had posted a long caveat to this photo.

to reiterate what neill said I wouln't get wrapped around the axle about the federal buttons.

great photo neill, we can discuss this more off line

cheers,
                    skip owens
                    Last edited by elcid01; 10-08-2007, 09:46 PM. Reason: double entry..
                    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

neill,
                      I had posted a long caveat to this photo. but bottom line: to reiterate what neill said I wouln't get wrapped around the axle about the federal buttons.

great photo neill, we can discuss this more off line

cheers,
                      skip owens
                      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

Skip-

Good stuff from Cid '01... I'd think Charleston jackets would have plenty of import buttons due to proximity to the wharf/harbor. I'd also think that civilian buttons would be used as well of all sorts. Imported items probably would be easy to come by in Charleston- relatively.

Good website on the "Charleston Depot" design jackets with a drawing:
                        Emmitsburg, Emmitsburg Historical Society, Pets large and Small, Pet stories Michael Hillman, Audrey Hillman, My Little Sister's Jokes, Windy Meadow Farm, The Master Gardener

Like Neill said the button flap is flush with the stand-up collar. The article confirms what you said about import buttons in use on the two surviving examples. The cloth/lining of the mentioned examples is osnaburg inside and English wool kersey outside- yet confirming the McRae papers assertions that English import wool was yet again found in the making of another Confederate jacket.
                        Thus proved the McRae Papers accuracy and extreme value again- did we even need to??? ;)

Handsome jacket, isn't it? Might get one made for myself eventually.

Yes, agreed, enough already of the jacket... keep it to the photo. But a good comment nonetheless, sir... :)

Cheers- Johnny
                        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-08-2007, 10:47 PM.
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                        X