Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poles in the ACW

Hello

This is my first post on this forum, so let me introduce my self.

My name is Cezary Wyszynski and I am multiperiod re-enactor from Poland.
    Please take a look on my pictures showing me in 7 different periods I do :

I am also a founder and main administrator of polish online forum www.freha.pl which joins now more than 10 thousands active re-enactors (from ancient times till 17 c.) from my country. Napoleonic scene and IIWW have their own forums.

However re-enactment in Poland is quite big, there is no ACW movement yet. No groups, no events, no suppliers etc .. but a lot of people is interested in this period of history.

I have just started my new project called 'Poles in the ACW'
    My first goal is to build first groups for both sides ... groups recreating Polish soldiers from ACW.

This will contain for sure:
    - 58 th Regiment from New York - listed in the official Army Register as the "Polish Legion" ... under gen. Wladimir Krzyzanowski
    - 31 st Regiment from New York ... under american generals, but this regiment had one totally Polish Company (C)

and

- 14th Regiment from Louisiana - named as Polish Brigade ... under gen. Valery Sulakowski

I am looking for any of you interested in this subject. Unfortunately in Poland there is almost no books about this. Also almost none reserach had been done about Poles in ACW.

I have found few notes that soldiers of 31th wore Polish quadrangular caps of red and white, these might possibly have been of the czapka (lancer-cap) style, but are more likely to have resembled the lower-crowned 'Konfederatka' ("Uniforms of the American Civil War" by Philip Haythornthwaite).

It will be a miracle if somebody will find a period's picture showing this ....
    But maybe ....

regards
    Cezary Wyszynski
    - Cezary Wyszynski -
    [url=http://www.kakaj.freha.pl]my reenactment for 7 different periods[/url]

Re: Poles in the ACW

Their is a decent book on Kryzanowski "For Liberty and Justice" by James S Pula.

My GG Grandfather was born near present day SuszSusz, Olsztyn, Poland (Rosenberg) in the tiny farm community of Shackenbruck, the church was in Gross Bellschwitz (Baloszyce), and his mother was a Budinski.
    RJ Samp
    (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
    Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Hello RJ Samp

Thanks. I have found it here. I will try to get it.
      Nice to hear that you have polish roots.

The most interesting thing for me is to find out more information about uniforms worn by soldiers from US troops, since it seems that they wore polish 'czapkas' .. but how long ?
      Maybe they were worn only at the beginings of war ...

Till now I have found only this picture

from the book American Civil War Prints by Dordon Dawis.
      - Cezary Wyszynski -

Comment

Your an interesting man Cezary. It's good to hear from you.
        Frank Perkin

Comment

Cezary,

Great Pictures! I really enjoyed the Roman Ones.

New York State has a Website that lists Unit Histories. It also gives the references where they derived the material from and you can contact them for specific information in the NY State Archives. Here are links for what they have on the 31st and 58th Volunteer Infantry.

I hope that helps and Good Luck,
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

My answer I put many hours ago, just appeared above.

Peter: I know those pages, however I have never search so deep to ask them about archives. I will send them a letter.
            - Cezary Wyszynski -

Comment

Cezary, if there's anything we can do to help you set up a Campaigner group in Poland, let us know.

In the meantime, you could contact our Comrades in Germany, the HDGM.

I've mailed you.
              Chris O'Brien

Scalawag Mess
              Volunteer Company
              [URL="http://www.aesoc.org"]American Eagle Society[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X