Books you would like to see in print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books you would like to see in print

I received Pat Brown's book on Federal Sack Coat yesterday in the mail, and it got me thinging about other books that would be usefull not counting the hundreds of articles out there. I thinking about books in the order of, the Cartridge Box book , the one covering shelter 1/2s and CS Saddles. What would you like to see researched and possibly published.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Re: Books you would like to see in print

Beadle's Book of Fun!

Jason R. Wickersty
    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Tongue in Cheek Reply

How about Nipple Picks of the Army of the Potomac. Depending on the time being represented could be very important.

Sorry about that, being silly this cold January morning.

I have Pat Brown's book and found it very interesting, along with the blouse and various ones produced, the section on the mass production was quite good.

Hard to come up with a new topic with cap boxes, cartridge boxes, shelter tents etc etc already written or in the process.

The book on army headgear is good one also.
      Marc Riddell
      1st Minnesota Co D
      2nd USSS Company C
      Potomac Legion

Comment

Re: Tongue in Cheek Reply

I will get the book on cap pouches (including a full discussion of the evolution of "nipple [otherwise known as cone] picks" out within the next 12 months. Two digressions have delayed this project: Helping Paul Johnson with his new book on Bayonets Scabbards of the Union Infantryman and completion of a work on The Fenwick Board, whose meetings in 1837-8 developed the Pattern of 1839 accoutrement system, which in turn was the basis of most CW accoutrements (excluding the cap pouch, the CW style of which didn't come along until 1845). I also have in the works a monograph on The Blanket in the US Service, 1785 - 1885. Fred Gaede

Comment

I think a book on knapsacks would be awesome. If you look in Lord's Encyclopedia you will notice he mentions knapsacks, along with some small drawings, that are crazier than hell!! With good text and detailed photos of the many knapsacks produced during the war I think would be cool.

Isaac Forman from Mike Ray's computer forgetting I could have logged onto my name, sorry moderators.

Isaac Forman
          Ruff n' Readys

Comment

I would like to see Civil War Diary of a '49er' by Horatio Chapman of the 20th Connecticut to be reprinted. I have checked it out on interlibrary lone several times and it is a facinating work. His pre Civil War rememberances in the "Diggins" is also a real treat.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Re: Books you would like to see in print-Haversacks!

Originally posted by bcatgrappler
              I think a book on knapsacks would be awesome. If you look in Lord's Encyclopedia you will notice he mentions knapsacks, along with some small drawings, that are crazier than hell!! With good text and detailed photos of the many knapsacks produced during the war I think would be cool.

Isaac Forman from Mike Ray's computer forgetting I could have logged onto my name, sorry moderators.

Isaac Forman
              Ruff n' Readys
              Add to the knapsack, the HAVERSACK!
              Variations both North and South to beat the band, some known only to "experts".
              Steve Sullivan
              46th Illinois
              Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

As I recall, Fred Gaede is working on a study of cap boxes and Howard M. Madaus has been assembling his "Southern Cross" trilogy--what promises to be the most comprehensive examination of Confederate military and civil flags to date. However, I don't expect either of the above to appear in print for a considerable length of time.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I think something entitled ''CONFEDERATE STATES HEADGEAR''; Or a book with a similar format to EOG on civilian clothing and excessories . Clifford E. Hyde

Comment

I would love to see an indepth study on CS uniforms (jackets, shirts, and pants) produced in the west. (Columbus, Atlanta, etc.)

Most studies, while going into chapter and verse on the "Richmond" products, and even fairly in depth on the Tait imports, fairly gloss over the western depots.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                    X