• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron tent stakes...

Has anyone ever seen these evidenced?

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Re: Iron tent stakes...

Those look more like vent pricks for cannon use.
    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
    WIG/GVB
    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

From the way things look in the photo the lengths vary between each piece. I'm inclined to say they don't appear to be anything that was issued.
      Intresting, though. How thick is the "stake" ? Is it steel , or iron ?
      Just curious.
      Dennis Neal
      "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
      David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
      Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
      [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
      J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Look like Vent Picks to me...
        Marc Riddell
        1st Minnesota Co D
        2nd USSS Company C
        Potomac Legion

Comment

I just realized that in the subject line of the post he says iron. Well if they are iron they certainley wouldn't be vent picks. To my knowledge vent picks are usually brass or copper to prevent spark.

Could be some sort of telegraph wire hanger :) Who knows ? what is known about their origins I wonder ?
          Dennis Neal
          "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
          David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
          Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
          [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
          J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

They look like surveying chain pins. The front/lead surveyor would have a ring of 11 such pins. As he marked each 100 feet, he'd leave a pin. The rear surveyor would pick up the pin after he held on "O" and moved forward. After having measured 100 ft. ten times, if necessary, the lead and rear surveyor would exchange pins and begin process all over.

- Jay Reid
            Dreamer42
            Jay Reid

Comment

They also appear to be too flimsly to be vent picks, in addition to what Dennis said in the above post, or tent stakes. They would never stand up to repeated use. Also, I have never seen any such items dug from a CW site. The only metal tent pegs I have dug are period railroad spikes from Globe Tavern area which is in Petersburg near the wartime Weldon RR and I am not even sure they were used as such. When you are near a RR it is hard to tell that the soldiers were doing with the spikes.
              Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Survey Markers

Jay,
                I think you may be on to something. They look quite similar to the surveying arrows (aka surveying pins or drop arrows) we were using on a survey expedition in California just last month. We were out surveying a hypethetical route for a new road near Fort Tejon and made quite a lot of use of the Gunter chain as were echoing back and forth "stick" "stuck" every hundred feet as we went along and dropped the survey arrows.
                Last edited by AZReenactor; 10-17-2007, 10:01 AM.
                Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

I think you may be on to something. They look quite similar to the surveying arrows (aka surveying pins or drop arrows) we were using on a survey expedition in California just last month. We were out surveying a hypethetical route for a new road near Fort Tejon and made quite a lot of use of the Gunter chain as were echoing back and forth "stick" "stuck" every hundred feet as we went along and dropped the survey arrows.
                  On to something indeed...

These were actually a recent eBay auction: CLICK HERE

Though the seller indicates that they were used as tent stakes, the buyer "linemarker2" does appear to bring a surveyors' validity to it.

With that said, is it possible that soldiers (very few) were using surveying picks as tent stakes during the war?

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

Originally posted by SalemCadet View Post
                    With that said, is it possible that soldiers (very few) were using surveying picks as tent stakes during the war?
                    Bryan,
                    I can't really imagine there were. Aside from not being well suited to holding up a tent, survey pins are a tool that gets used over and not something that would get discarded readily. They are also a specialty item and would not be widely available where a typical soldier would encounter them just laying about waiting to be misused.
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Hi all,

From conversations with my brother Tom (He is the Topo Eng attached to Troy and my outfit the 1st CA Inf Co F). Maybe there is a possibility they were lost or not seen as they are hard to see.

When our unit used them we had to tie pieces of cloth to each so it would be easier to see against the ground. And the question was aske a few times "Do we have all the arrows or pins?"

Maybe another possibility, is that depending on where the survey was (If it was in or near a active war zone) that the survey crew had to leave in a hurry due to the enemy being too close, or surprised by forward elements of the enemy, such as cavalry. With the crew leaving in a hurry to get to safety.

Over all the use of these and a Gunter chain was an interesting one to see in use and the resulting area map produced in the field from the measurements.

All the best

Don S
                      Don F Smith

Comment

I am also sure they are survey pins that would be used w/ a chain. I just got thru making a set to use along with a 66 ft. Gunter chain and range pole. Actualy using the gear in the field was interesting for a first try. I'm looking forward to doing this more and gaining more experience as it is one thing to study it, another to get out and do it...

I'm sorry to ramble on, but what were the circumstances surounding te discovery of those items? Wree they found together or were they from a variety of places? Was the location one that was I.D'd as a camp? That could shed some more light on their provenance
                        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

I just went to the ebay site again and noted the legnth.. 9 1/4" is corrrect for survey arrows or pins. However there is no real conection between those pins and the War except for a vague ( and improbable) family story.

for an interesting account of chaining crew working in front of Williamsburg see "Eye of the Storm" by Robt. K. Snedon pg. 50 in the entry for April 17, 1862. This is why most military sketch maps were measured by pacing instead of measuring w/ a chain or tape.
                          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

They really aren't that stable. One MIGHT use them for a static display, but I wouldn't want my shelter held in place at the risk of them coming out so easily.

The pins we (my dad was a surveyor) used were about 14 inches long, made of steel and we painted them red and white stripes to show up in tall grass. There are also longer pins, about two feet in length, for very tall grass.
                            Troy, your comments reminded me of having to yell out "Good" a hundred times as I held zero, while my dad would get a back alignment on my position with a range pole or the transit. The chain we used had a leather thong on the end. I'd wrap that thing around my hand and my dad would pull it so tight my hands would turn purple and get creases in them.
                            80% of the time we'd have to use a plumb-bob at the same time - not too many places in Oklahoma are flat. And "cutting chain" going up a steep incline was murder!
                            Some cool stuff was we often encountered a surveyor's mark from back in the 1870s - an up-right stone with an X chisled in the top - for a property or section corner.
                            Okay, sorry I got off topic. I can't think that surveying in 1860 was all that different from how I did it in the 1970s. Waaaaay before all of the digital and infra-red gadgets today.
                            Wanna hear more stories about getting shocked by cattle fences? or shooting a line through a briar patch? poison ivy? hornets? Subcribe to my new magazine called "Good 'Ol Days...yeah, right."
                            Okay...I'm finished.

- Jay Reid
                            Dreamer42
                            9th Texas
                            Jay Reid

Comment

Tom,
                              Sorry I didn't read your post before I posted the previous one...
                              I have a "Sketch Table" of WWI vintage which is a metal case, much like a brief case, that has a folding tripod which holds a small table. Inside the case one would find an inclinometer (basically a hand-held transit) and a pace counter. My dad and I would often pace out distances, especially if there were obstructions or tall grass which had to be cleared. Anyway - long story short. The pace counter would be used exactly how you describe. A fellow can get pretty accurate at, say, 13 paces for 100 feet. We'd also "eye" an angle - usually for bets - to see how close we'd get to a correct angle before turning the transit. At age 13 I was pretty dead on. Anyone hear of a "beer leg"?

- Jay Reid
                              Dreamer42
                              Jay Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X