Iron tent stakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron tent stakes...

I have a 1918 Corps of Engineers field manual that talks about the set you have. You have a way lot more experience in this that I, as I have mainly been doing the research and study and only a few times a year have I been able to take to the field to do mapping. The "road survey crew" seanario works well out here out West as a rational to do small sized unit events. B.T.W there are other " topogs" out there at www.topogs.org
    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
    Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
    Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
    Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
    Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Re: Iron tent stakes...

Tom,
      Thanks for the web site. Glad to know there are individuals out there keeping this art alive. Hard to imagine that within a matter of two decades that something could nearly be lost. I imagine many similar skills were lost as the CW veterans grew old entering the Industrial Revolution - the number of crafts that were swept aside just due to the automobile comes to mind.
      Now, to incorporate surveying skills AND unearthing a CW camp site or fortifications - Wow! that would be a double thrill.
      As a comparison - off CW topic, again sorry - today one person can set a tripod with his transmitter and walk the property, hitting each point, all the while his pole has a transmitter of its own sending information back to the tripod UP TO 1 MILE AWAY. And it's all recorded automatically. All he has to do is grab the distances and punch a calculator. Unreal. But then again, he doesn't "experience" the outdoors - good and bad, as much as the fellas did back then.
      I'm guessing, Tom, not much changed from CW to 1918, save optics and materials used for some of the equipment. Have fun!

- Jay Reid
      Dreamer42
      Jay Reid

Comment

Working...
      X