Lorenz rifle sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lorenz rifle sling

I haven't come up with a description or photo of an Austrian Lorenz rifle sling. Any leads...?

Don Harrelson

Re: Lorenz rifle sling

There was a photo discussed about a month ago on the forum. It was a zouve unit from Pa. in works at Centerville. Most of the men were carrying Lorenzes, some with slings. I searched for it but didn't locate the thread. Anyone remember where it was?
    Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Don,

As far as we can tell (photographic evidence primarily), US troops issued the Lorenz were issued standard US slings. In fact, the picture that was referred to showed the troops with their bayonets sticking out of their standard US scabbards by a couple of inches! I don't recall any mention of specific "Austrian slings" on blockade-runner manifests, so I would argue that typical CS made or English imported slings would be appropriate in that instance.
      [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
      [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
      Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
      Member The Company of Military Historians
      Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
      Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
      [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mayo View Post
        I searched for it but didn't locate the thread. Anyone remember where it was?
        Check the tail end of this discussion -- Austrian Lorenz Repop

Eric
        Eric J. Mink
        Co. A, 4th Va Inf
        Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Has anyone purchased one of these Lorenz repops? What is your opinion of them?
          Dale Campbell
          The Pine River Boys - 7th Wis., Co. I

Comment

I did-and now I am seriously worried after reading a thread here about a burst Rev. War musket. My repop Lorenz has some authenticity issues which I intend to remedy this winter,foremost of which is fitting an original bayonet. (as of now,no repro bayonet is available, even from the seller). Did anyone else other than me get one of these too?

Doug Price

Comment

Yes, I also got one and am satified so far. The weapon handles nice and is well balanced. Considerably lighter than my Armisport Enfield. Fitting and finish are good although action is a little stiffish. Some minor autenticity problems, but no worse than other common repro weapons. I plan to try and replace the "S"-plate as the profile is wrong but that is probably the only mod I'll make. As to fear of a barral rupture, no matter what some people may think, the physics of explosives preclude that happing unless the barral is obstructed. The force of an explosion will expand in the direction of least resistance-that's what makes shaped charges and claymores work like they do-without an obstruction there is no way pressure will build enough to split steel.
              Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

I got one of the Lorenz too and I agree with the last two fellows that it needs a few "tweaks" but since I also do a Veterans Reserve Corps impression, firing it is not a priority. The Lorenz was the most widely issued weapon to the Corps.
                Ernie Manzo
                Co. C, 1st USSS (NCWA)

Comment

I got one of the Loyalist repops. That's the reason for this thread. Been promised a bayonet for several months. I see a couple of minor issues with fit and finish but on the other hand, weren't they all originally hand-made? As for a barrel burst, not my concern as I don't expect to live fire one in this life.... no pun intended.

D Harrelson

Comment

Working...
                  X