sack coat question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sack coat question

What color were the original fed. sack coats and who makes the most authentic sack coat out there on the market

Brandon Sedlmyer
    114th PA Collis Zouaves

Re: sack coat question

Federal fatige coats were dark blue. Chas Childs, and Chris Dailey make excellent reproductions of these coats.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Federal sack coats were indigo dyed and made from different contracts. The color of the jacket could range from a light to dark blue. This would depend on various different things, one being the weather conditions. I would recommend looking at skilletlicker.com or cjdaley.com for a already made sack coat. If you have sewing experience and wouldn't mind doing a little work then crchilds.com would be a good place for a kit. Remember dark blue was only one of the many shades that would be produced. Therefore any color in between these shades would be period. Remember also that sackcoats were made from wool flannel and not the sutler row blanket wool and though forage caps might have the same color or alittle different shade of blue, they were made from broad cloth. This is something very important to know if you're upgrading your impression. Hope this helps some.
      Last edited by privstull; 01-11-2004, 07:39 PM.
      Ryan Stull
      37th NC Co B
      stull6@charter.net

Comment

Thyis might be the correct thread to ask the question, how many different Sack Coat styles were there? I've seen at least two distinct differences. Ie some appear to have a crease down the center of the back as is common w/ Frock coats and others do not.

Anyone know if this was specific example of different contractors or perhaps a less expensive way of making the coats?
        Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
        SUVCW Camp 48
        American Legion Post 352
        [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Eallo Johan!

I would HIGHLY reccommend that you get a copy of pat Brown's new book: "For Fatigue Purposes..." The Army Sack Coat of 1857-1872 It's a GREAT resourse and will answer most all the questions you may have on sack coats.

It's WELL worth 22.50 in my book.

To roughly answer your question, most all fatigue blouses for the army were made from one pattern. At times, a contractor would only get a single sample coat and make more "like" it as he saw fit. There are MANY variations, most only slight, i.e. button spacing, sleeve vents, square vs round collars etc.

Also keep in mind another factor: field modifications by the garment's owner.

Taking all that into consideration, it's a lot to consider...! Variations are nearly endless. Now go order a copy of that book, you'll love it! I am in earnest,

Comment

Simple answer to color, check these originals on Wedeward's site:
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Steele
              Thyis might be the correct thread to ask the question, how many different Sack Coat styles were there? I've seen at least two distinct differences. Ie some appear to have a crease down the center of the back as is common w/ Frock coats and others do not.

Anyone know if this was specific example of different contractors or perhaps a less expensive way of making the coats?
              The one piece back was common, particularly in unlined blouses. The contractor would produce a coat with a one piece back to save time and material. It saved time by eliminating the need to flat fell another seam, reducing the amount of labor, and increasing the production of the “sweaters” (those who actually did the sewing), and it also saved materials such as thread (to flat fell seams), and cloth (on the cutting table). Contractors had to produce X amount of blouses by X date, to fulfill their bids, to do so, they found any way possible to cut down on their costs by eliminating as much labor and materials per garment as possible.
              [B][FONT=Georgia]Eric P. Emde[/FONT][/B]
              [URL="http://www.2ndmaryland.org"]www.2ndmaryland.org[/URL]

Comment

Contact the Company of Military Historians and see if you can get a copy of Paul McKee's excellant article on Civil War Fatigue Blouses. Over ten years ago, Brian Baird, Paul McKee, and myself looked at over a dozen original examples and Paul compiled our notes into a comprehensive article. The images on Wedeward's website are mostly from Paul McKee. There is just way too much information on color, style, and other manufacturing variations to answer all your questions on a discussion board.

Scott Cross
                "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Matt Caldwell makes a great sack coat.

Ryan, please sign your posts. I noticed you have an auto signature. Make sure that the box for using auto signature is checked before you submit your post.

Thanks - Mike Chapman
                  Last edited by dusty27; 01-29-2004, 02:42 PM.
                  Ryan Burns
                  The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                  3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

The original dyes for sack coat material used an indigo base. These, as we know, come out as a navy or dark blue, however you want to define it. Chris Daley makes the best! www.cjdaley.com

Comment

Gents,
                      Don't forget, contracts exist for brown and sky blue sack coats as well. Your guess is as good as mine as to what they were used for.

Sorry guys.... couldn't resist muddying the waters! :D

Just about all of the above is great advice.

Check www.skilletlicker.com There are blouses in stock there ready to ship.

I'll also make a shameless plug for my book (For Fatigue Purposes.... also in stock at the Skilletlicker). Honestly, it will answer just about all of your questions and hopefully provoke new ones. Also, Scott's advice to look over Paul's article on sack coats if good advice too. It's in the Summer 1995 issue of Military Collector and Historian, vol. XLVII number 2. You can order back issues from the Company if they are in stock. Also, it's cheaper for back issues if you are a member (another shameless plug) of the Company and anyone would be crazy not to join.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X