Color of knit items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color of knit items

I plan on having a pair of socks and mittens made for me in the near future and I was wondering about color. What would be the most common used color? I have heard that reddish dyes were relatively expensive so that would not have been as common. I would assume that natural tans or cream colors were most prominent, but I figured you guys would know if anyone.

Thanks,
    Kevin Whitehead, 47th Ga.
    Kevin Whitehead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Color of knit items

Red dyes are not common in nature, and the dye process must be carefully controlled in both temperature and mordant ---a hot fire will turn a lovely pot of red dye into a mediocre brown with just a few minutes of inattention. The bulk of red dyes either came up from central America (cochineal) or were a cultivated root (madder). So, such items would be available pre-war and early war, but less available as more important goods took precedence in moving through blockades.

Look first to your economic status in choosing color---if you are dyeing at home from commonly available stuffs, browns, buffs, and yellows will come out of the pot. If you have a little prosperity, or a little expertise, the indigo blues are both long lasting and readily available through most of the war, until the economic system totally breaks down. The more exotic logwood purples and greys, cutch, saffrons, and such were quickly unavailable in the south.

Don't forget that sheep come in other colors besides white.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
    X