Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Smith C.S. Frock Coat and officer wear

Hey Fellas,

Check out this perfectly executed C.S. Frockcoat. It is a reproduction of Capt. Otis Baker's double-breasted frock pictured in Echos of Glory. The original was made of a wool broadcloth and dyed with one of the Southern homespun dyes and is now faded to a nice medium gray/brown. The repro I'am wearing is made of Ben Tart's logwood jean and lined with Charlie Childs' Cooper check cotton. Coat is void of sleeve rank as the original, and is adorned with federal muffin "officer style" buttons. The coat is a neat blue-gray now, but will fade to a steel gray and then to brown-gray in a year.

Don does fine work and this is just one example of his many tallents! The sword belt I'm wearing was also made by Don and is a pre-war Militia type copied from Col. Beard of the Louisiana Inf. who fell in combat during the Mansfield battle. The original is denoted by the 1840-1850's militia eagle two-piece belt plate, and masonic/militia sword hanger chains. The leather is folded oil dyed and lined with cotton webbing. I think Don said he had a few sets of these chains left from old masonic belts and can make up one or two more.

The boots are civilian style riding "plantation" boots made by Bob Serio of Missouri Boot and Shoe and are in their third year of use. The tan civilian trousers are by Mr. C.J. Daley.

Just thought yall might like to see some of the great tallent out there making cool goods. Sorry, ************ made the cravat and INDIA the sword:tounge_sm

Thanks for your interest,
    Attached Files
    Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
    16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
    Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Re: Don Smith C.S. Frock Coat and officer wear

Chris,

Thanks for the pics! Would love to see some of the construction details, such as the buttonholes, setting of the lining, collar, etc.

Looks great!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Re: Don Smith C.S. Frock Coat and officer wear

Hey John,

Thanks for taking a peek, and giving some input. I'am still working on honing my trans-miss c.s. officer impression and always looking for advice.

I'll try to get some good photos of the interior, details, etc. real soon. I can tell you the chest is padded with cotton batting. The sleeves are lined with a nat/white polished cotton, the body with Cooper check, and tail pockets with brown polished cotton. The lining is "layered" in all by hand, which was a form of fitting the pieces to the inside of the garment giving it a better finish.

Thanks,
      Erik
      Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
      16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
      Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Working...
      X