• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Georgia Armory Rifle

Thanks for the help.
    Steven Johnson

Comment

If anyone is still interested in this project, I'm doing a defarb right now. Process is being document on Facebook, I can put something together for instructions if anyone is interested.
      Eugene Yeo
      “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

One thing to add, check any book to see it references the Georgia Armory Rifle that is in the Fuller Gun Collection at the Chickamauga Battlefield. It has been determined that the one in the collection was a parts gun, so a fake. The lockplate and some of the hardware was real, but it was put on the body of a zouave.
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lee,
          I talked with the Curator of Arms and Armor for the Ordnance museum about that being a parts gun. I know it is hearsay but I sat with him and we went through about 3-4 old Bannerman catalogs and concluded we could have made the same gun in the era that Fuller was active in the Gun writing and collecting. One parted up example at least for me does not detract from the prolific writing he did to further the knowledge.
          Last edited by arkangel33; 12-30-2013, 07:31 PM. Reason: Miss spelled word
          Mike Brase
          Proprietor
          M.B. Young and Co.
          One of THEM!
          Member Company of Military Historians

Comment

I've a gentleman who works with the Atlanta History Center, where they have a collection of the variations of the different rifles still in existence. He's promised to provide me with a great deal of pictures of the originals and measurements, as well as bayonets. I've stripped my zouaves down to bare metal and wood and removed the modern markings. Now I just need someone to teach me the art of sand casting and I'll have the brass hardware reshaped as well. Waiting on pictures before I go that far, however.
            Eugene Yeo
            “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

Let's see, for any who may be interested in the project:

Here are pictures of the Unaltered Zouave Rifles:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bayonet Lug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	224014
              Here is a picture of the end of the stock, barrel and ramrod, highlighting the bayonet lug. Period pictures show that the brass cap shown is much too small.

Name:	Lock Plates.jpg
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	224015
              Here we have close-ups of the lock cut and lock panel, along with the holes for the round escutcheons. I'll have to drill a space for the "wings", as the GA rifle did not use a simple round configuration

Name:	Lockplate Stamps.jpg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	224016
              Close-up of the lock plate, showing the federal eagle and the marks left from modern chemical processes.

Name:	Makers Marks.jpg
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	224017
              A close-up of modern manufacturing stamping which we all know and love.

Name:	Patch Box.jpg
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	224019
              Patch Box and Butt. Took me a while, but I finally found a picture of a Mississippi with a complete accessory kit. I know know what goes IN there.

Name:	Rifle Stock.jpg
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	224020
              Picture of the back-end of the rifle and my dainty little piggies.

Name:	Stock End.jpg
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	224022
              Stripped end of the stock. This will have to be adjusted for the longer brass cap.

Name:	Side Views.jpg
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	224021
              Front and back stripped comparison.

Name:	Over All.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	224018
              A simple all-over view to compare the finished product.
              Last edited by One is the Left!; 01-03-2014, 09:37 PM.
              Eugene Yeo

Comment

Now, here you can see a parts comparison between the modern Zouave brass bits and the other period brass that they were based off of, namely the 1855 Springfield and the 1853 Enfield.

Name:	Barrel Bands.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	224023
                Here are the lower barrel bands. If you look close, you can see the ones from the Springfield are just a snudge (An imperial snudge is equal to one half of an imperial weensy bit) too big. I'll have to correct this in casting I expect. However, the original bands may not have conformed to the barrel at all and may have just been flat ribbons welded together, which would make my life MUCH easier. I await pictures to determine the correct method.

Name:	Nose Cap.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	224025

Name:	Nose Caps.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	224026
                Shorter Zouave nosecap against the longer Springfield nose cap.

Name:	Trigger Assembly.jpg
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	224027
                Now this one is actually pretty interesting. From what I've seen, while the GA rifles used a generally Enfield "look" for their trigger guard, they cast a one-piece trigger guard/plate assembly instead of a two-piece as like the Enfields. This will be a tricky piece to cast, methinks.

Name:	Cap and bands (1).jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	224024
                Front barrel bands and sling mount, nothing to see heeeeeere.

Name:	Upper Bands.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	224029
                A grand comparison of the Zouave versus the Springfield hardware
                Attached Files
                Last edited by One is the Left!; 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM.
                Eugene Yeo

Comment

Ok, we have some in-progress shots...

Name:	Barrels Soaking.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	224030

Name:	Sights Soaking.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	224034
                  Here I'm removing the modern bluing and my unsightly tub ring at the SAME TIME using White Vinegar. Fair warning: If you do this, your barrel immediately loses protection and will start to rust damn near as soon as you get the vinegar off.

Name:	Makers Mark.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	224031

Name:	Maker's Mark.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	224032
                  Pictures of the modern marking with the bluing off.

Name:	Rust Proofing.jpg
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	224033
                  Just a picture of the barrels sitting out all bright and shiny. I'd stripped off the vinegar and then coated the barrels in a bluing remover to leave a uniform finish, after which I cleaned off the bluing remover and hit them hard with WD-40 to protect them in the mean time.

Name:	Stripped Lockplate.jpg
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	224035
                  Here's a rough look at the lock plate with the modern finish and markings taken off. Used a dremel to take off the eagle and a rough belt-sanding to take off the finish, as well as making the plate uniform again. I'm going to polish it down to a nice satin smoothness and then either give it (and the barrel) a period bluing, browning or whatever is appropriate. Might just leave them bright.

This is all I've got done at the moment - well, that's not true. I've taken the modern markings off the barrels now and stripped the stocks and prepared them for a good linseed-oiling, but I want to make sure they're the right shape so I need pictures. I've also bought some bayonets, some of which were brass-hilted just like the Zouaves, while others had wood slabs. If I can't find an original with the wood slab grips, I'll just defarb the Zouave pig-stickers and leave them brass.
                  Eugene Yeo

Comment

Working...
                  X