Model 1 maynard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 1 maynard

I have seen the words maynard system on several sites and also this one. What does it mean? What is the difference between working and non-working Maynard systems?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Re: Maynard??

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox
    I have seen the words maynard system on several sites and also this one. What does it mean? What is the difference between working and non-working Maynard systems?

Thanks,

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    A maynard system is a percussion system for muskets that pre dates the civil war. It basically utilized a feeding system in the lockplate that fed a strip of percussion primers to the cone and was ignited in by the hammer like a standard percussion cap. It almost resembles modern day toy cap guns with the red strip of caps you see. The difference between a working and a non-working system is that in a working system, the feeding system is still operational and feeds the caps properly. A non working system is the complete opposite, the feeding mechanism does not work, and you just place a regular cap on, fire like you do with a standard percussion system. The system was abondoned because it was unreliable as you can imagine. there are plenty of examples of this system mostly in springfields, commonly referred to as "trapdoors" the opening door on the side of the lockplate containig the feeding mechanism giving it it's name. There's areally good example of this type of weapon in the Union EOG on page 32-33 (Model 1822 Rifle Remington Maynard Alteration.
    Pierre King
    27th Conn.
    1st Minnesota

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

"there are plenty of examples of this system mostly in springfields, commonly referred to as "trapdoors" the opening door on the side of the lockplate containig the feeding mechanism giving it it's name."

Actually no...

"Trapdoor" is the designation for the breechloading M1873 U.S. Springfield, although it applies to the M1868 as well)- the pivoting breech block bearing a similarity to trapdoors.

A Washington, D.C. dentist by the name of Edward Maynard (a one semester cadet at West Point in 1831) patented the paper roll primer system on September 22, 1845.
      Having sold the rights to the government for the pusher or "pawl" type mechanism, he later received a second patent on December 7, 1859 for a sprocket wheel perhaps with the intent of continuing production outside of the government.
      There are some "extra parts" connected to the mainspring, which extends by a "ratcheting" or "hand" link through a slot in the lockplate to the mortise for the tape roll.
      Shoulder arms generally contained rolls of fifty fulminate primer "pellets."
      As the hammer was cocked, the mainspring moved the "works," and the pawl and hand in the mortise moved the tape primer pushing one "pellet" over the cone. Upon firing, a sharp edge on the underside of the hammer nose cut off the used portion of the tape.
      Although clever, the tape rolls- even though they were shellaced against moisture- suffered from the wet. Plus the friction/spring "catch pin" that held the primer door closed often allowed the door to pop open in use, dumping the tape roll.
      Although once considered the "ultimate" in priming systems, these problems were noted. In 1860, when modifications were recommended to the M1855 arms series, it was desided to eliminate the Maynard system and return to a conventional percussion cap (which was done for the M1861).
      The M1855 rifle-musket was made at Springfield and Harpers Ferry arsenals, and the M1855 Rifle at Harpers Ferry. However, there was a contract to Maynard system convert M1822's, but these have a larger lockplate and hammer than the later M1855's (as well a few other differences)...

In general, "working" refers to originals and custom builts (using Cross locks) that have "all the parts" to work the tape primer rolls [if there were repro tapes to be had...]
      However, some lads use "working and non-working" to differentiate between the Italian repros where some have doors that open, and some do not. (Neither company's offerings having the actual mechanism)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Former Civil War Gunmaker and M1855 series builder
      Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 02-24-2004, 07:05 PM.
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Here is a photo of the internal parts of a working Maynard system, with an original coil of primers inserted. As the hammer is worked back into the "full-cock" position, as shown in the photo, a primer was to be indexed up over the cone. In this case, the primers were not inserted under the indexing finger of the Maynard system, so a primer was not indexed.

This priming system was used on a variety of arms including the Sharp's, Maynard type I carbines, 1855 pistol, 1855 rifle, and Remington Converted 1816/22 rifled-muskets, among other types.

The term "working" or "non-working" is just applied to the reproductions, some of which are nothing more than Richmond type high-hump lock plates with applied Maynard doors, giving the general appearance of the real deal.
        Attached Files
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I imagine the amount of extra "machine time" producing one of these locks played a big part in their elimination. I think that mechanism probablely added about 4 to 6 hours per lock.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Maynard Rifles

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], March 29, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
            Maynard Rifles.—About thirty rifles have been received in this city by young gentlemen who are practicing with a view to form a new military company. It is suggested that there are probably a hundred of these rifles in the city, and that it would be well for their owners to meet and practice in concert. If any disposition is shown to accept of this proposition the time and place of meeting will be named.

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], April 5, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
            Rifle Club.—A meeting will be held this evening at 7½ o'clock, Exchange building, for the purpose of forming a rifle Club. All gentlemen having a Maynard gun, are respectfully requested to attend.

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], April 14, 1861, p. 2, c. 8
            Toby Tries His Gun.
            Toby is a high private in the first regiment of the Mississippi army. His company is armed with the breech-loading Maynard rifle, "warranted to shoot twelve times a minute, and to carry a ball effectively 1,600 yards." Men, who fought at Monterrey and Buena Vista, call the new fangled thing a "pop gun." To test its efficacy, Toby's captain told the men "they must try their guns." In obedience to command, Toby procured the necessary munitions of war, and started with his "pop gun" for the woods. Saw a squirrel up a very high tree—took aim—fired. Effects of shot immediate and wonderful. Tree effectually topped, and nothing of the squirrel to be found, except three broken hairs. "Pop gun" rose in value—equal to a four pounder. But Toby would'nt [sic] shoot towards any more trees—afraid of being arrested for cutting down other people's timber. Walked a mile and a quarter to get sight of a hill. By aid of a small telescope, saw hill in distance; saw large rock on hill; put in big load; shut both eyes—fired. As soon as breath returned, opened eyes; could see, just could, but couldn't hear; at least couldn't distinguish any sounds; thought Niagara had broke loose, or all out doors gone to drum-beating. Determined to see if shot hit. Borrowed horse, and started towards hill. After traveling two days and nights reached place; saw setting sun shining through the hill. Knew, right away, that was where the shot hit. Went closer—stumbled over rocky fragments scattered for half a mile in line of bullet. Came to hole—knew the bullet hit here, because saw lead on the edges—walked in, walked through; saw teamster on other side, "indulging in profane language;" in fact, "cussin considerable" because lightning had killed his team. Looked as finger directed—saw six dead oxen in line with hole through the mountain; knew that was the bullet's work, but didn't say so to angry teamster. Thought best to be leaving; in consequence, didn't explore path of bullet any further; therefore, don't know where it stopped; don't know whether it stopped at all; in fact, rather think it didn't—mounted horse; rode back through this hole made by the bullet; but never told captain a word about it; to tell the truth, was little afraid he'd think it a hoax. It is a right big story, boys," said Toby, in conclusion, "but it's true sure as shooting. Nothing to do with Maynard rifle but load her up, turn her north, and pull trigger; if twenty of them don't clear out all Yankeedom, then I'm a liar, that's all.—Oxford (Miss.) Intelligencer.

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], April 16, 1861, p. 3, c. 2
            To Arms! To Arms, Ye Brave!—Owners of Maynard rifles are requested to meet at the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Ticket Office, next door to Bank of Memphis, Main street, this day, 16th inst., at half-past three o'clock, for the purpose of forming a military company.

MEMPHIS DAILY APPEAL [MEMPHIS, TN], April 18, 1861, p. 3, c. 3
            Maynard Rifle Company.—Forty-five men joined this company on Tuesday night. Their weapon is a tremendous one, and if an opportunity ever offers, they will be found murderously efficient.

I may find additional notices as I go along.

Vicki Betts
            vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Re: Maynard Rifles

As the proud owner of a 1st Model Maynard, I can attest to its accuracy. The Maynard was a very popular Rifle/carbine prior to the war most likely in its .36 caliber form. The military model came in a .50 caliber and was widely purchased by the states of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia prior to the outbreak of hostilities (Around 5,000 sold to the above states).

John Sweeney

Comment

Model 1 maynard

I am looking for info on units csa,and federal that were issued 1st model maynards. I just bought one from romano rifle that i intend to shoot in the nssa. but i was hoping somone could help me with info on militia or non that were issued this amazing peice of war fair

brad

Comment

Re: Model 1 maynard

Maynards were carried by the 2nd Florida Infantry,2nd Florida Cav,Ist Miss Cav and Cobb's Legion. Us Troops included10, 11 and 12 TH Cav and 6 and 9th Indiana.Whereas the Southern weapons were definately !st models the Northern units may have had the 2nd model which was a very late war piece. Bud
                  Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

I am going from memory, but I believe Mississippi and Georgia each bought a 1,000 1st model Maynards. In Miss. one unit they went to the Bolivar Troop, in Georgia, one unit they went to Cobb's Legion. They likely went to other units as well.

There was an article done on CS Maynards, I believe in North South Trader or some similiar publication,

Greg Starbuck
                    The brave respect the brave. The brave
                    Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                    That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                    And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

Just a side note.

I have one of the repros of the Model 1 maynard. It is a conversational piece when I have it out.
                      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

All,

Pictured is the priming system of the 1st Model Maynard Carbine. I compete with this very carbine in the North South Skirmish Association.

Sadly, it shoots much better than I do.

C'est la vie
                        Attached Files
                        Mark Latham

"Mon centre cède, impossible de me mouvoir, situation excellente, j'attaque." ~Ferdinand Foch

Comment

The entire 1st Mississippi Cavarly were armed with 1st model Maynards in spring and summer of 1861. See photo below.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Old thread, but I'm hoping to stir a bit of life back into it. My research has shown that my unit originally had quite a few "jenks" carbines with the Maynard Tape System. Now, I'm appealing to the voice of the veteran here, as my research has proven to be less-than-fruitful. Has anyone found a source for a modern maker of these tapes? I'm hoping that I'm just looking in the wrong place, or for the wrong thing. The closest I've been able to find is tapes for children's cap guns, which do spark, but I doubt they spark enough.
                            Eugene Yeo
                            “I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues.” - Dr. Seuss, "The Lorax"

Comment

Working...
                            X