Subdued Rank Insignia Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdued Rank Insignia Redux

This fellow sports some very nice Major's Insig on his collar.

Or else its something from his local head shop.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by va-yank; 01-12-2004, 03:21 PM.
    Fred Grogan
    Sykes' Regulars

Re: Subdued Rank Insignia Redux

Those might be "Smith's Patent" rank insignias.

I saw an Ohio Major's frock coat last year, where after the order came through to wear subdued rank, he had taken off his shoulder straps and replaced them with the Smith Patent clusters. I have some photos and will try and post it.

Pretty neat image above though -
    Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
    – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Here are some more images of Federal Officer "subdued" rank
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ; 03-08-2004, 01:45 PM.

Comment

What the heck kind of jacket is the guy in the left tumbnail wearing!?
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
          What the heck kind of jacket is the guy in the left tumbnail wearing!?
          It appears to be a private purchase jacket. Here is a view of the whole jacket.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hardeesboy
            It appears to be a private purchase jacket. Here is a view of the whole jacket.

Looks like a 6 button front private purchase (obviously) sack coat with a stand up collar.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by hireddutchcutthroat
              Looks like a 6 button front private purchase (obviously) sack coat with a stand up collar.
              Mike,

Can you post the Bibliographic Info for this image please?

I assume it's LoC.
              Ryan B.Weddle

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."

Comment

Originally posted by RyanBWeddle
                Mike,

Can you post the Bibliographic Info for this image please?

I assume it's LoC.

Ryan,
                Yes it is from the LoC, [Fort Burnham, Va. (the former Confederate Fort Harrison). Federal soldiers in front of bomb-proof headquarters] 1864 Army of the James.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ryan,
                  Yes it is from the LoC, [Fort Burnham, Va. (the former Confederate Fort Harrison). Federal soldiers in front of bomb-proof headquarters] 1864 Army of the James.

Yeah, I thought that was the image, the other interesting things to note in this image beyond the funky officer sack coats & collar tabs;
                  are the shelter tent being used for the lower half of the bomb proof door. The artillery tarp (rare!) and the caisson chest open with the rounds and fuses laying around...
                  Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

Yeah, I thought that was the image, the other interesting things to note in this image beyond the funky officer sack coats & collar tabs;
                    are the shelter tent being used for the lower half of the bomb proof door. The artillery tarp (rare!) and the caisson chest open with the rounds and fuses laying around...
                    Yes, I noticed those also. It gives you a nice look at a shelter half. Another thing I am curious about, the gentleman standing to the far right appears to be wearing mounted trousers. Good eye Ryan!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I noticed those also. It gives you a nice look at a shelter half. Another thing I am curious about, the gentleman standing to the far right appears to be wearing mounted trousers. Good eye Ryan!
                      Yeah, this is obviously a mixed branch photo... You have obvious artillery here (also one of the men in the background has crossed cannon on his cap :secret: )....

Then both officers with the Private Purchase blouses have Infantry Horns on their kepis... OMG!
                      Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

That 6 button private purchase sack has some sort of blemish on the photo above the left-breast pocket. Can anyone make out if that's a medallion of some sort, or a fabric tear... curious.

Appears to have 3-4 buttons on the cuff of his left sleeve. Very light-weight fabric, look at all those folds and wrinkles as it falls around his body.
                        Paul Calloway
                        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                        Proud Member of the GHTI
                        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by paulcalloway
                          Can anyone make out if that's a medallion of some sort, or a fabric tear... curious.
                          Paul,

To me it appears to be a hole/tear in the fabric. Just my .02

Comment

Paul,

To me it appears to be a hole/tear in the fabric. Just my .02

I not sure if it is a tear, or a badge, or what?!
                            Although the folds/wrinkles don't seem to be affected by it, it looks like it's 'on top' of the blouse folds/wrinkles...

The image of him is totally out of focus and blury... His 'look' though is very fashionable...almost looks 1880s Fatigue-ish...that blouse is a kicker!
                            Attached Files
                            Ryan B.Weddle

Comment

I not sure if it is a tear, or a badge, or what?!
                              Although the folds/wrinkles don't seem to be affected by it, it looks like it's 'on top' of the blouse folds/wrinkles...
                              Ryan,

It does seem to be casting a shadow, as if were sitting on top of the jacket, doesn't it! Now I am truly befuddled! :confused_

Comment

Working...
                              X