dyeing material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyeing material

I am trying to find out how to dye my jeanwool uniform the way that is correct meaning vegitable or iron dye on how to make or where to get the dye , if anyone can help with this it is much appreciated.
    :lightningjason willis, 32nd al. inf
    32nd Ala. Inf. Co. C
    Hardtack Mess
    Pontotoc #81 F&AM

Re: dyeing material

Jason, welcome to the forum!

We've had some great past discussions on dying, mordants, etc... if you use the terms "dying fabric" in the Search Engine, you'll get some good thread hits. Feel free to revive an old discussion with new questions, or expand into another aspect of textile processing here.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

That is something we do here quite often. What shades do you want to achieve?
      I grow most of my own dye plants and have a good library on the old ways (before chemicals).
      Give me a contact point and what you need and I will see what I can do for you. Glad to help out if I can.

I remain, as always, your obedient servant,
      Jno. Fox

Comment

What I am looking for is the way to make sumac dye I need to know how and where to find it if anyone can help..my email is johnreb@cox.net
        Last edited by 32ndalainf; 12-02-2007, 07:38 PM. Reason: forgot to put my email..
        32nd Ala. Inf. Co. C
        Hardtack Mess
        Pontotoc #81 F&AM

Comment

Jason,

Go here: http://www.uttyler.edu/vbetts/
          Scroll Down to "Newspaper Research"
          Scroll Down to "Topical Files"
          Scroll Down to "Dyes"
          Read those wonderful receipts--sumac is in there.

Its unlikely that you will find a commercial source for such--be very sure of your identification skills before you harvest the bark for this project. If you will look in the pictures I recently posted of my fall dye run, you'll see 1 pound of sumac dyed yarn. That took right at a bushel of shaved bark.

You'll also find a number of detailed instructions on this board by utilizing "dye" or " yarn" in the search engine. The principles apply whether one is doing yarn, loose wool, or yard goods.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thankyou mam that is the best info I have found yet , you truly have been a huge help......THANKYOU..!!
            32nd Ala. Inf. Co. C
            Hardtack Mess
            Pontotoc #81 F&AM

Comment

Jason,

I note your Florida location--its a long state. As things currently stand, I'll be on the grounds of the Historic Florida Chautauqua at DeFuniak Springs, Florida, from Jan 31 to Feb 3 as a part of the Living History Program for the annual Chautauqua assembly.

Part of my exhibits and lectures will include explanations of historical dyeing processes, and I'd be happy to talk with you.
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Aurora Silk has almost all dyes natural and other for sale on their site.
                Robert Myers

Comment

Working...
                X