Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: British Contractor A.G. Ross stamp

Cody,

I know that David Jarnagin has at least one "A ROSS" box in his collection. I also know a collector/researcher who owns an ID'd "A ROSS" box. I will contact him and see if he is willing to share marking photos. Give me a few days to see what I can turn up for you.
    [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
    [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
    Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
    Member The Company of Military Historians
    Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
    Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
    [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Cody & Tim

There is a Ross marked trotter pattern knapsack in the Atlanta History collection. I believe there is a mark cartridge box as well.

Doug Bailey

Comment

Thanks, Tim!
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Cody
          The Sharpsburg Arsenal had a Ross & Co pouch for sale a while back.
          It is clearly marked "A Ross & Co C&M 1861" it is thought that the C&M mark stands for "Certificate & Medal" with the date of the trade exhibition at which they were awarded.

Dave Burt, ACWS, England.
          David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Cody,

A couple of e-mails and some photos are on the way. I'm waiting for a better image of the actual mark. There are some fine images of the box itself. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
            [SIZE=1]Your most humble and obedient servant,[/SIZE]
            [SIZE=2]Tim Prince[/SIZE]
            [I]Member CWDCA (The Civil War Dealers & Collectors Association)
            Member CWPT (Civil War Preservation Trust)
            Member The Company of Military Historians
            Member SABC (Society of American Bayonet Collectors)
            Hiram Lodge #7 F&AM
            [/I][URL=http://www.collegehillarsenal.com]collegehillarsenal.com[/URL]

Comment

Tim,
              I appreciate all that you've done!
              Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
              Texas State Troops

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

How bout pics for all!!! Mr. Mobly, is the pic you posted of the ink stamp on a knapsack???

The Mad MIck!!!
                Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Yes, sir. That is the inner flap of the A. Ross contract British knapsack......a wholly underrepresented knapsack.

Not all British packs were of the S. Isaac's Campbell contract.
                  Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                  Texas State Troops

Wanted.

Comment

My sentiments exactly!!!! Actually was called the "Trotter pattern" and was designed around the 1812 war period. Somewhere in my various notes, I have a pic of a knapsack tat claims to have the ross stamp on the shoulder strap. I will see what I have done with it!

The Mad MIck!!!
                    Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

• Re: I & C Knapsack

I have in my collection a I&C knapsack hook which was dug at Pickett's Mill, so we can say that some were definitely issued and used by the AOT in the Atlanta Campaign. Would like to find more information on C.S. usage of the knapsack and other English accourterments.

Bob Steele
                      Recurit

Comment

"2. My understanding is that the S. Isaac and Campbell Co. was only ACW era; that the company was started as a front to move British goods to the South".

Samuel Isaacs by 1845 is listed as a military tailor and outfitter, and army contractor. By 1848 he had registered premises in London, at 71 High Steet, Chatham. Isaac, Campbell & Co also had an address in London, 71 Jermyn Street, which was the same address registered to Samuel Isaac.

Saul Isaac was Samuel's brother and later partner. Both went bankrupt in 1869, but were later discharged and went on to other things.

Until May 1858, Isaac, Campbell & Co. had been contractors for the British army, when they were dismissed following misappropriations. It was during this period they had established their first shoe-making premises in Northampton, later run by Turner Bros. One saving feature and fortunate for the Isaac, Campbell & Co. happened that year, and that was the raising of the Rifle Volunteers, which fell outside the War Dept. authority, Rifle Volunteers not being on the military establishment. Isaac, Campbell & Co. continued to manufacture, purchase and supply military items to this force. These type of goods, Volunteer equipments, made up the mainstay of items sold to Huse in addition to any military surplus.
                        [SIZE="2"][/SIZE][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]John Hopper[/SIZE][/FONT]
                        [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]Winston Free-State/First Confederate Legion/AoT
                        Member of The Company of Military Historians[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

Folks,

Well, as usual, John sums up the whole history of the business very nicely. Generally speaking English accoutrements may very well be the most versatile equipment(s) for our CS impressions. The McRae Papers speak very loudly that goods were being shipped as early as October/Nov 1861 and were certainly in the field by the Seven Days battles. Not only that, shipments of bulk leather and hardware (buckles, rings, finials, knapsack hardware, etc.) really picked later in 1862 as the arsenal system began to hit its stride.

Neill Rose
                          PLHA
                          Last edited by Iron Scout; 10-31-2007, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Folks,

I'd love to see any images possible. While Huse purchased mainly from I&C early in the conflict, other agents were contracting directly with many of their sub- suppliers like Ross, Hebbert & Co, Middlemae, etc.

I wouldn't be suprised a bit if the Overton pack at the MOC was an A. Ross product.

Neill Rose
                            PLHA

Comment

Are these Ross or Trotter knapsacks the same dimensions and style as the typical S. Issac and Campbell? Any differences noted or seen?

BTW, no relation to the Ross manufacturer!!!
                              James Ross

Comment

Dave,

Although I think I may have posted some of this info on Ross &Co. before (maybe before the crash?) here is some information on A. Ross & Co. from my book, MADE IN THE C.S.A., SADDLE MAKERS OF THE CONFEDERACY. This information came from various sources including a “British saddle historian” friend of mine in England. He tells me he owns other British military pieces made by Ross & Co. although much of it from the late 19th century and WWI.

ROSS, A. & CO. Jerimine St., London, England and Bermonday, England
                                A Canadian firm based in London. Ross manufactured 1856 Universal Pattern saddles and other leather (infantry) equipment under contract to the British Army. In August and September 1861, A. Ross & Co. supplied leather, leather equipment and medicines (Quinine) to the Confederate Ordnance Department through purchases made by its agents, Major Caleb Huse and Major Edward Anderson. Some L10,000 of their goods were purchased in August and September for shipments aboard the "Fingal" and invoiced through financiers, S. Isaac, Campbell & Co. It appears likely the firm provided other equipment to the Confederacy throughout the war. Ross & Co continued to make equipment for the British army too. At some unclear point in the later 19th century, Ross became “Hepburn Gale and Ross” and employed a stamp “HGR” on much of its equipment. Ross & Co. remained in business manufacturing saddlery stirrups and spurs well into the 20th century.

The following firm (“Middlemore”) was mentioned in an earlier post by Neill Rose so I thought I might provide a bit if information on that firm (also from my book). I used to own an 1856 British UP pattern saddle made in 1863 by and marked “Middlemore & Co”. Although to the best of my knowledge only about a dozen or so of these rare 1856 UP’s have survived today I know of at least one other made by Middlemore.

MIDDLEMORE Birmingham, England
                                Highly respected English saddle manufacturer with contracts in 1863 (possibly earlier) to the British Army for the 1856 Universal Pattern saddle. It is not clear if the firm provided any of these saddles to the South through financiers Saul, Isaac Campbell & Co. but they were certainly a war time contractor. Although this saddle pattern was not as favorably received by Confederate officers as the earlier British Hussar’s (1850's Crimean War era) pattern, many were imported.
                                The Middlemore UP saddle of 1863 was considered among the better made of this pattern by contemporary British saddle makers and historians. By the early 20th century the firm had merged with another company now known as Middlemore & Lamplugh, Ltd., but was still making saddlery for the British army.

I hope this helps.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Working...
                                X