Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: complete import package?

Tim
    Thanks for your reply. I shoulda denoted that i was speaking of confederate usage. Though looking at it from both sides it is rather interesting. Concerning the cap pouches that rested on the sling; are their both that type and the normal english pattern belt cap pouch available? I would love to see a picture of a unit equiped entirely with british accoutrements. More or less as i wanted to intermix some english peices into my confederate impression but to what extent i was unsure. Any other comments or suggestions?
    Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

English Snake Belt

Where is a good place to buy a good English snake belt from?

Pvt.Owen Pierce
      62nd ALA Co.a

Comment

Re: English Snake Belt

Owen
        Dells leather works offers english pattern "snake" belts. I beleive for around 40 dollars.
        Most Respectfully
        Drew Gruber
        14thNJVI

Drew,

If you cannot vouch for the quality of a maker, please DO NOT post your recommendations on this forum.

That leather 'maker' is not up to the standards that would be considered as authentic.

Scott McKay, moderator
        Authentic Campaigner Forums
        Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

I got mine from THE CAVALRY SHOP and am well pleased with it. Good heavy leather, correct makers marks and nice looking buckle. Have had it 4 years and it has held up very well. Paid $37 for it then.

The Cavalry Shop
          9700 Royerton Dr.
          Richmond, VA 23228
          PH: (804) 266-0898

I see DIXIE LEATHER WORKS also has one but can't comment on the quality good or bad on their goods.

Andrew,

As I had chimed in on Drew's post, if you cannot vouch for the quality of a maker, please DO NOT post your recommendations on this forum, particularly when you profess to not know their quality.

Both leather 'makers' are not up to the standards that would be considered as authentic.

Scott McKay, moderator

Hope this helps.
          S!

Comment

I can't comment on the previous two suggestions because I don't know of the vendors.

Here's a few solid suggestions:

Hank Kluin

Lukas Berg
            sold through various vendors at various times:
            CJ Daley www.cjdaley.com
            Adam Cecil www.thequartermasterstores.com

There are several styles of these belts which were used during the war, research what you need and proceed.
            Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
            – George Washington , 1789

Comment

I own one bought through Chris Daley, made by Lukas Berg. There is a substantial increase in leather quality, stitching and dye accuracy with the one I own over examples from folks like Dixie and such. If value is your object (price+quality+accuracy), I would recommend Lukas Berg, through either vendor as Ryan states above. Hank Kluin also does it right.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

How about Dells Leather works are they any good ?

No, they are not up to snuff.

Scott McKay, moderator

Pvt.Owen Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by 62nd ALA Pvt
                  How about Dells Leather works are they any good ?

Pvt.Owen Pierce
                  I would also suggest Hank Kluin. You cannot go wrong.
                  Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I guess it is Hank Kluin then.

Thanks,
                    Owen Pierce

Comment

British snake-buckle belts

I just bought two original British army snake-buckle belts from a dealer on Ebay that found them in Natchez, Missouri. I was wondering if there was anything that would hint to Confederate usage. One of the belts is stamped J. Fondson-Bruxells on the tongue. Anybody know if that's an importers mark? I'd appreciate any help I can get on this.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
                      5th Geo. Infantry

Comment

Re: British snake-buckle belts

Comrade,

Did you mean, perchance, Natchez Mississippi? If so, then he could have "found" them in the fields to the south where the battle scenes from "North and South Book II" were filmed. Quite a lot of stuff was "lost" and "used up" there, especially with some 2,000 Confederates camping out and running around the area.
                        Without an iron-clad provenance, I would never assume anything from ebay is what it is claimed to be.
                        respects,
                        Tim Kindred
                        Medical Mess
                        Solar Star Lodge #14
                        Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb
                          I just bought two original British army snake-buckle belts from a dealer on Ebay that found them in Natchez, Missouri. I was wondering if there was anything that would hint to Confederate usage. One of the belts is stamped J. Fondson-Bruxells on the tongue. Anybody know if that's an importers mark? I'd appreciate any help I can get on this.

Pvt. Chris Anderson
                          5th Geo. Infantry
                          "Bruxells" is almost certainly BRUSSELS (Belgium). Enfield rifle-muskets were produced under license by Belgian manufacturers and the State of Indiana attempted to contract for a large lot of Belgian-produced Enfields in early May 1861 as stated in the "Diary of Calvin Fletcher" (Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society, 1980, p. 108-109):

Thursday, May 2nd, 1861:

[While on our purchasing mission to Montreal, Quebec, British Canada] We went to 2 importing houses & with Messrs. Elliott & Co., made an agreement to buy 1,000 Minie or Endfield [sic] Rifles to be imported from Belgium from the manufact[ur]ers Aunet & Co. for which we have to pay the export & give some 20 [dollars] a piece. German gentleman one of the firm who had been in Belgium some years [sic].

If I find anything else, I'll post it.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Chris,
                            Can you add an image off your artfacts? If so I will add images of a piece that was excavated from a remote 18th century site (near Fort Anderson, Brunswick Co, NC) here four weeks ago.
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by GaReb

Pvt. Chris Anderson
                              5th Geo. Infantry

The abbreviation MS is for Mississippi. MO is Missouri. My guess is your ebay page said MS cause there ain't no Natchez in Missouri.
                              Michael Comer
                              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Also, keep in mind that the British Army used belts with "snake buckles" for nearly 100 years. (And no, they weren't all the same.)

Lately, a lot of late Victorian belts have been popping up. Some are Brit, some are colonial, and some are Canadian but none of them are very much like what was imported during the ACW.
                                John Stillwagon

Comment

Working...
                                X