No announcement yet.

English Imported Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New article published on Confederate leather....

Thanks for posting this Ken. I need to get my hands on a copy of North South Trader.

Dave had mentioned in an email recently that this was coming up so glad to see you all made it to publication and I'll look forward to reading it in full detail soon.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Ken,

I for one applaude your and David's efforts on this very important subject. The three of us need to get together and discuss Huse's specific bulk leather purchases not only through I&C but also directly from the English curriers themselves. One of the documents contained in the McRae Collection is a 36 page running I&C invoice for the English steamer, the Justitia. Listed specifically are:

600 prs brown bridle middlings
      100 prs stirrup middlings
      222 brown harness backs
      102 skirt backs
      36dz collar basils
      70 hides for collar wales
      60 bag hides for valises
      60 prs waxed pouch backs
      30 waxed backs for ball bags
      20 trunk hides
      60 prs waxed middlings
      20dz _ basils
      60 x butts for seats
      300 pouch middlings
      300 belt middlings
      250 waist belt middlings
      500 knapsack sling middlings
      150 middlings for frogs
      150 middlings for gun slings
      25 brown hides for pockets
      20 black grain hides for pouch covers
      80 black grain hides for pouch covers
      200 middlings for ball bags
      642lbs mixed cut leather for knapsack trimming

There is a lot that can be inferred just from this one invoice as it's so much more detailed in it's terms than Payne's notebook. I'll be interested to see some peoples theories on the use(s) of this leahter. But again, thanks for your great efforts in adding to the historical record.

Regards,

Neill Rose
      PLHA

Comment

A very excellent and interesting post gentlemen , i have many questions but one i am very interested in at the moment is the thickness of imported leather and domestic leather that was used for belts and slings primarily in the confederacy , any help would be greatly received
        Martyn Goddard
        American Eagle Society
        Mess #4

http://www.aesoc.org/

Comment

Martyn,

A very broad question and not one easily answered. General concensus has it that domesticly used ie. CS leather was typically very thin, say 6 oz. for a cartridge box. While I've certainly seen examples of this, I've also seen Richmond swordbelts that were fully 9 plus ozs. Per the listing above, many of the assorted types of leather were probably listed per their weight and subesquent use in the English Ordnance system. Here's an example, I infer that the "waxed ball bag" leather was probably the weight used for English ball bags which would roughtly be around, say, 4 oz. Also take the "belt" leather which is an English term for a cartridge box sling. This could be 7-8 ozs from true examples I've viewed. Complicated, but see where I'm going?

Bottom line, weights ran the gambit in my opinion in both domestic and imported leather. Whew, hope this helps to some extent!

Neill Rose
          PLHA

Comment

Neil,

I know strength of leather has alot to do with which part of the hide it is cut from (shoulders and back being very strong, side less so...belly spongy and not very durable). In reading your recent post, it mentions the term "middling", and it appears to be used in the application of knapsack straps, frogs and "belting"...given the application of the leather, what part of the hide would we assume it to be from?

Further, have you seen the use of this term middling among other period leather definitions?
            Last edited by Stonewall_Greyfox; 09-07-2007, 07:20 AM. Reason: **misunderstanding
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,

I have only seen the term 'middling' used in the Huse/McRae documents. I wondered for a while what cut of leather this actually was until recently. While searching some of the modern English saddlery/leather suppliers online, one had several pages from a c1900 saddlery catalog with all sorts of sporting saddle, bits, stirrups, etc. There was also an illustration of a whole hide (both halves) and all the various cuts ie. shoulder, butt and the other obvious ones. A middling was listed as a rectangular cut right behind the neck that extended half way down each of the front shoulders and then toward the center of the back. As I said, imagine a whole hide laid out with a rectangle placed behind the neck. This was obviously viewed as a superior cut and perfect when needing both length and tensile strength. Sorry, I know a long answer for a short question!

Regards,

Neill Rose
              PLHA

Comment

• English Leather Pics

Folks,

This is a continuation of the CS vs English leather weight/thickness discussion. I've attached several images to give folks an idea of the variations.

1) White buff English import swordbelt-fully 9 oz leather
                2) I&C waistbelt-rough out-7 oz leather
                3) Simple example of I&C's use of top dyed white buff for the interior strapping on one of their knapsacks
                4) Just a fun pic of the proper way to affix the closure tab on an I&C box utilizing a tunnel stitch

Enjoy,

Neill Rose
                PLHA
                Attached Files

Comment

• Re: English Leather Pics

Neil,

Flip your I & C box pic and show us the outer side of the closure flap. I think your viewers will appreciate the technique a little more.

Best,
                  Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                  PO BOX 4849
                  Midlothian, VA 23112
                  www.richmonddepot.com
                  (804)305-2968

Comment

Scott,

This is the box front. Notice the tunnel stitch has not disturbed the exterior. I did check in my stack and got about every shot but that one! I'll post the back of the belt pic in a second as an example.

Neill Rose
                    PLHA
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Iron Scout; 09-08-2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Folks,

Here is a good example of the tunnel stitch affixing the rear of the keeper to the belt. Sorry to get so off topic! PS-note the underside of the belt is smooth grain and has been dyed also.

Neill Rose
                      PLHA
                      Attached Files

Comment

Until you have really studied the British stuff, it's hard to gain an appreciation of the over engineering efforts put into the gear.
                        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                        PO BOX 4849
                        Midlothian, VA 23112
                        www.richmonddepot.com
                        (804)305-2968

Comment

Neill,

Yes a long answer for short question, but an excellent one at that. I may be travelling to Colombia in a few months for work, and would love to finally meet you. Last time I spent time in the area, I never made it to any historic sites or museums, and would love to do both.

Question: How much of the old SC Military Institute "The Arsenal" is left in the city? I'm assuming not much, but that hopefully a marker is placed in the area?
                          Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                          (Loblolly Mess)
                          [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Paul,

Very little left is correct although there are markers and at least one remaining structure. There's plently to see though such as the Robert Mills House, Hampton-Prestion Mansion, Chesnut Cottage, etc. We can also get into some items at the SCCRR&M along with the State Museum. Hey, might even let you look at some of the McRae Papers. Just let me know prior.

Cheers,

Neill Rose
                            PLHA

Comment

Gents-

Never forget the Governor's Mansion in Columbia, SC was the superintendant's (president's) house of the South Carolina Military Academy at the Arsenal. 'Course, you can't tour that or Gov. Sanford might take umbrage to it. ;)

From what I have read in the Annals of The Citadel (This, my beloved institution...) official knob knowledge, the pre-war Arsenal was the freshman year cadets' preparatory school until they transferred from Columbia to Charleston in their sophomore year to complete officer training.
                              Sherman put an end to that sadly.:(

Yet I digress...

Great thread... Johnny Lloyd
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

• Isaac and Campbell Pack Straps

Does any one have any documentation on the shoulder strap "system" for Isaac and Campbell packs. During the Crimean War the British had some packs with straps that could be removed from the pack and would carry only a blanket and mess tins. I personally have only seen the "Y" configuration that buckles to the bottom of the pack. If anyone has information that this other variation was used during the "Late Unpleasantness" it would be greatly appreciated.
                                Chris Houk
                                Van Buren Boys Mess

VIII

These were men-
                                Whom power could not corrupt
                                Whom Death could not terrify
                                Whom defeat could not dishonor

-Confederate Cemetery Marker at Fayetteville, AR

Comment

Working...
                                X