House Bill:Marking Requirements for Reproduction Civil War Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobby Protection Act

After farther research I've discovered the organization lobbying and pushing for this act to be amended is the ACDA or Atiques & Collectibles Dealears Association. Here is an article from their view point...http://www.harryrinker.com/noprotec.html

As I understand it there was an attempt in the past to amend the bill once before but it was shot down.

Regards,
    Last edited by Cfarrell; 04-23-2008, 02:56 PM.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]Cody G. Farrell[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]UpStart Mess[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1"]http://www.geocities.com/codygfarrell/homepage1[/URL]
    ETHC
    [FONT="Georgia"][B][I][U][SIZE="3"]Texas Ground Hornets[/SIZE][/U][/I][/B][/FONT] - [URL="http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/"]http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/[/URL]
    [I][SIZE="3"][B][U][FONT="Georgia"]Texas State Troops[/FONT][/U][/B][/SIZE][/I] - [URL="http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home"]http://texasfrontierbrigade.googlepages.com/home[/URL]

Comment

I love it, "Hobby Protection Act"... protecting some hobbies while tearing others down!

The proposed bill (HR 4125) is an amendment to a prior law called the "Hobby Protection Act", which is already on the books.

I think Jim is correct... It does not appear to discriminate betwen manufacture or sales (aka "distribution in commerce"), whether through a business or as an individual.

Would anyone like to buy a light weight spring jacket? It is made of a lovely wool-cotton blend material with pretty brass buttons. It looks great with jeans!! :wink_smil

Oh, by the way...
      I'm selling accurate reproduction Civil War pencils... I've sanded down some Ticonderoga #2's. However, in order to comply with the "Hobby Proection Act", each pencil is marked "Reproduction" in half-inch letters. :confused_
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Cody,

Thanks for posting that.

If all they could muster up was 1000 letters it would not take much to double that amount coming from reenactors. I do not believe our hobby is the target of this legislation but it sure looks like a glancing hit could get us.

This was the most intelligent paragraph in the entire article -

"Finally, the Federal Trade Commission has confirmed what many of us have known all along. If the antiques and collectibles trade is going to clean up its act, it has to do so itself."
        Jim Kindred

Comment

Please see my letter to the Editor in this months CWN, responding to Mr. Sylvia's letter in the last issue regarding Hobby Protection Act. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts regarding his response to me.
          [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ken Raia[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Cfarrell View Post
            In a way many of the authentic vendors already "mark" their items so they are not misrepresented or mistaken as originals later. Duvall marks his products with a "V" for example. Some other vendors put their own little characteristics in their products that are hidden and not as bold as stamping "COPY" on everything.

Regards,
            Cody,

Your right, however the difference here is they chose to do so. There isn't a law forcing them to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JimKindred View Post
              Cody,

Thanks for posting that.

If all they could muster up was 1000 letters it would not take much to double that amount coming from reenactors. I do not believe our hobby is the target of this legislation but it sure looks like a glancing hit could get us.

This was the most intelligent paragraph in the entire article -

"Finally, the Federal Trade Commission has confirmed what many of us have known all along. If the antiques and collectibles trade is going to clean up its act, it has to do so itself."
              Jim,

I think you are right about our hobby being in the cross hairs. I know a lot of you believe this legislation won't pass, but I say why risk the possibility. Take the time to write your representatives and voice your opposition and explain the absurdity of this law. It's our hobby lets protect it.

Comment

Marking of Authentic Kit by Manufacturers

I may be a bit behind the times on this and there may have already been a discussion, but what is the situation on this proposed legistlation regarding marking all authentic kit permanently to show it is of modern manufacture?

see:

Having been for over a decade the sort of 'zealot' Sylvia characterizes as opposing such legistlation I am suprised to still be in such an excellent state of health (though a bit chafed at times...).

So, is this a serious threat?

KC MacDonald
                Founding Member
                Lazy Jacks Mess
                KC MacDonald
                Founding Member Lazy Jacks Mess
                Proud Galveston BOI (Born on Island)
                Gr-Gr Grandson of 5 Confederates (and one Yankee...)

[SIZE="1"]Currently residing in an ex-Tailoring Sweatshop built in Huntingdon, England in 1851[/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Marking of Authentic Kit by Manufacturers

Based on the number of members his organization has been able to attract in two years it would appear this power grab has been a flop. In his article you posted he shows a complete lack of knowledge of serious reenactors, in particular his comment regarding the filing of the Italian markings I found very humorous.

From what I have seen over my years in this business, the problem of fakes rests primarily with those involved in the relic trade much more so than those who manufacture and distribute items made as reproductions. They need to clean up their own house before they come to clean up ours.

There was a lenghty discussion of this topic several months ago, you may want to use the search feature to find that additional information.
                  Jim Kindred

Comment

It's funny how he's never heard of John Zimmerman and a defarbed weapon, despite being a reenactor since 1973.

He must portray a deserter who got lost on his way home. And is still lost...
                    Kenny Pavia
                    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Hallo!

I think it of "value" to post from the "article:"

"Some repro makers claim that they don’t mark their products because reenactors demand 100 percent authenticity right down to accurate backmarks on buttons and the reverse sides of belt plates.

I always argued with them on that point. Find me a reenactor who files the stamped logos “Parker Hale” or “Made in Italy / Euroarms” from the barrel of his repro rifle. Find me a reenactor who wears period-style longjohns without the comfort of cotton briefs underneath.

Find me a reenactor who refuses to use the comforts of modern rest room facilities. Find me a reenactor who drinks from the creek or who eats salt pork, chitterlings and cornpone for his weekend battlefield diet.

Only a few zealots, whose authenticity is both admirable and dangerous, are willing to suffer diarrhea, rashes and dysentery for such attention to detail.

I think the authenticity of button and accoutrement plate backmarks can certainly be sacrificed for the greater good.

Blaming reenactors is just an excuse, and a poor one at that. To hear some of the repro makers, you’d think a real reenactor insists on live rounds to get that 100 percent accurate sound of minies whizzing through the air. I point this out as a reenactor myself since 1973. While authenticity is an important criterion of reenacting, it is always balanced by practicality and reason."

Nuff said...

Curt
                      Admirable, Dangerous, and Unbalanced by Impracticality and Unreason Zealot Mess
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I find it amusing that congress can find time for this B.S. and not do any thing about fuel which is keeping attendence down at collectors and antique shows as well as reenactments. If it passes I intend to ignore it. Hopefully the F.B.I. will take me off to Latuna Federal prision so I can work on my tan and take a much needed vacation.:D
                        Tom
                        Tom Mattimore

Comment

Thid was my response in CWN to Mr. Sylvia's obvious ignorance regarding our hobby:
                          I would like to respond to Mr. Sylvia’s letter regarding the forthcoming amendment to the Hobby Protection Act designed to compel makers of Civil War replica and reproduction Civil War memorabilia to mark their products. I think the operative word here is compel. One could easily substitute the words force, require, coerce and so on. I for one do not agree with this legislation. Mr. Sylvia writes about Mr. Eisenberg’s dismay over the ignorance of many eBay sellers and buyers when it comes to recognizing authentic Civil War relics from reproductions, and it doesn’t take a crystal ball to see that ignorance is the root cause of the problem, not authentically made reproductions. People who don’t take the time to educate themselves about what to look for in authentic artifacts or who aren’t intelligent enough to purchase from honest and reputable dealers are simply asking to be taken. So how do we attempt to correct the situation? We don’t ask the ignorant buyer or dealer to take responsibility for their short coming. Instead, we shift the responsibility onto the manufacturers of authentic Civil War reproductions. We force them to mark, as fake, an item they have painstakingly labored over in the hope that this will solve the issue. There is a problem with this reasoning however because many of the fakes being sold as originals are purposely doctored by the unscrupulous seller to resemble original items complete with dirt, dust and moth holes. Removing a label or obliterating a stamp marked fake will simply add one additional step in the transformation process. Mr. Sylvia questions the accuracy of the repro makers claim that they don’t mark their products because reenactors demand 100% authenticity. I am a reenactor and I can tell Mr. Sylvia that what he was told is true. Finally, Mr. Sylvia discusses negative legislation, and sites as an example, a bill passed in Georgia that now requires relic hunters to notify, in advance, the state archeology department of where and when they propose to relic hunt. Mr. Sylvia goes on to say we must organize and oppose such attempts to legislate our hobby. I agree with you Mr. Sylvia, so why do you feel compelled to legislate mine?

Comment

Working...
                          X