No announcement yet.

Originals: Looking at Buttonholes (CS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originals: Looking at Buttonholes (CS)

Often, it is hard to judge the features on a given reproduction because one might not have had the opportunity to view original examples. Here are four examples covering a variety of enlisted items, and an officer-grade coat:

Clockwise from top left:
    Tait jacket, McDill jacket, kersey RD2, officers frock

If others have examples, it would be great to see them.
    (I labeled this thread "CS", so it might be a good idea to use a different thread for US items)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Eric Tipton; 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM. Reason: Removed embedded image and kept thumbnails - front page formatting.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Reproductions: Looking at Buttonholes (CS)

John,

Thanks for posting these pictures - these kind of close ups are very helpful. I don't have access to originals and seeing this information is of great value for my winter sewing project currently underway and those I hope to do. I feel much better now on my own button holes too!

Would you have some topstiching close ups besides what is shown on the Tait?

Kindest Regards,
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

John,
      These are the best pictures I have. Some of my others are little blurry. Because the pictures didn't turn out great, I made scetches when at home when they were fresh in my mind. I will check to see what I have at home (I am sending these from work). Hope some of this helps. I would like to see more of this type of discussion and posting of detail items. My interest is more in clothing, but other topics like leather work would be great.
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      Attached Files
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

I thought I should add some pictures of buttonholes I have done a civilian shirt. I think the nature of this thread is to see originals and compare to repro. These are on a shirt with much thinner material than on a jacket that pictured. So, when I do a jacket they may look different. I will interested to hear what people think. I look forward to more comparisons in this and other threads.
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav
        Attached Files
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav

Comment

OK,

Here we go. A good many pictures here for everyone to view. I'll add commentary on the garment's history, etc. in a second. Hope this aids the discussion. There's nothing wrong with the hobby, we just need a healthy dose of study!

Cheers,

Neill Rose
          Attached Files

Comment

Folks,

Here's the last one for right now. These are just some off my desktop image program(s); I'll grab the CDs next.

Neill Rose
            PLHA
            Attached Files

Comment

I am right now having my mom construct me a Communtation Jacket from a kit from Wambaugh and White. I had her look at this thread to give her an idea of what the button holes should look like. She asked if they should be a keyhole stitch, or just the regular straight button hole. Was one type of button hole stitch more common than the other??

Nice pics!!!
              Dan Chmelar
              Semper Fi
              -ONV
              -WIG
              -CIR!

Comment

Neill: THANKS!!!!!!!!!
                Folks rarely consider the view of the button hole on the inside of a jacket, so those pics are especially good.

All,
                Here is something interesting that I am seeing among all these pics of original items...

On the side of the button hole nearest the edge of a given coat, each of the these button holes all appear to have either a "fan" or a "keyhole" shape. However, on the other end of the hole, I see them ending in either a bar-tack or "nothing" ...no fan, no bartack... just the stitching on either of the two sides, but nothing on the end.

Am I viewing these correctly?

...and on the bartacks...
                each appears to be nicely finished by a blanket stitch as described by CJ Daley here on page two of this thread (reproduced by John Taylor after a crash wiped out an old 2002 thread):

...on the Tait jacket...
                It is interesting to view this buttonhole in its unraveling state. You can see the stitching laid out along the perimeter before the buttonhole stitching itself was applied.
                Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger

Comment

John, that may be what I was asking. Maybe when I am seeing the button holes without the keyhole shape I am actually looking at the back of the button hole?
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

Look at "Iron Scout's" (Neill Rose) 11:00am post. Pics #6 and #10 show buttonholes from the inside of the jacket. ... a very dandy English kersey RD2!!!

Regarding the "Keyhole"...
                    They were done both ways (what I have referred to as "keyhole" and "fan"). In my limited experience... It appears that "keyhole" style buttonholes are more a feature of either higher grade clothing or industrially-made garments (as with the officer frock and Tait jackets shown in this thread). I may be completely out-to-lunch, but that's what I've noted within the limited scope of my experience.

Somewhere, I have seen a great pic of the original Bomar frock showing a buttonhole with bartacks at BOTH ends! Very unique, at least in my very limited experience.
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Here are the basic button hole stitches for the Bottomshirt from Gettysburg. They have strectched over the years and show the typical effect of passing the button through the hole. The holes measured a little larger than the button itself, so I suspect (though we may never know) that they were actually the same size or a little smaller when initially made. I believe this is what gives them their somewhat oval shape. In making modern renditions, the material has alot to do with how the button hole turns out. Pulling them perls to tight will inadvertently cause the edge of your button hole to "roll" and make the hole larger than what you really want it to be.

More to come when I dig out the CD.
                      Attached Files
                      Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                      Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                      Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

John,
                        Also in my limited experience, the "keyhole" end is found on the more tailored garments. Most of the officer frocks and tailored shell jackets I have looked at had this type of buttonhole. Some also had a piece of thread on top of the material and then the buttonhole stitch going over top of it. Someone told me this was done to produce a more finished stitch that did not sink down into the thicker material fond in coats. I think the link to a past thread from CJ Daley describes this. I have tried to do this type, but my fingers are not nimble enough to do this one yet. I think the depot jackets had the plain buttonhole stitch that just went around the opening of the fabric. As we can see, I don't think any of the pictures are same, although they all use the same type of stitch. So, getting back to I think the first point of this post, how do we look at repro garments and say they are authentic in the button holes? Again, just look for period construction techniques? Or, is there a quality standard for the use of the construction techniques?
                        Rob Bruno
                        1st MD Cav
                        Rob Bruno
                        1st MD Cav

Comment

Folks,

Here's two more images off of Lt Walker's Charleston Depot jacket at the UDC Museum in Chas.

Neill Rose
                          PLHA
                          Attached Files

Comment

I've got about 2,000 photos of original garments on my harddrive with scores of buttonhole photos. I'll try to dig some up once I can dig out the harddrive from our move to Virginia.

Here is the text John was talking about. This is from me when I was respected and loved in the hobby:o

Originally posted by Me
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Posted by CJ Daley on November 10th, 2002 02:36 PM:
                            Hand-worked Buttonholes

HAND-WORKED BUTTONHOLES

Most people who do their own sewing do so in order to insure that the buttonholes on their garment are hand sewn. However, running a needle and thread around a hole doesn't make it a buttonhole. Hand top stitching and hand worked buttonholes are one of the first things that people will see when they inspect your garment. Having a good pattern, knowledge of construction techniques and a good iron are a start, but it's the finishing touches that will really set your garment apart from others.

Here are some tips that I would suggest practicing.

PLACEMENT
                            Placement of the buttonholes is crucial. Be sure to take particular notes off the garment you are copying in regard to this or follow your pattern's instructions to the letter. Mark the placement of the buttonholes with a pencil or a piece of tailor's chalk. Count that you have the correct amount of buttonholes marked. Then count again, then count a third time...you don't want to make a 3 button sack coat or a 8 button Infantry Uniform Coat.....

USE A CHISEL
                            I suggest using a wood chisel and a hammer to ‘punch’ out the buttonholes. This give a more uniform appearance than you achieve with scissors. Make sure to line up the chisel evenly along the yarns to get a clean cut. The size of the chisel you choose will depend solely on the diameter and height of your buttonhole. Most cuff sized buttons will require a 3/4" chisel, coat sized buttons require a 1" chisel and most muffin style coat buttons will require a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" chisel.

To do a key hole buttonhole, just take a 1/8" round leather punch and place it on outside edge of the buttonhole BEFORE you punch the slit with the chisel.

PREPARING THE HOLES
                            When working with jeans, I also suggest overcasting the button hole with about 10 loose stitches to keep the buttonholes from fraying.

THE THREAD
                            I would highly recommend getting a spool of #16 buttonhole/top stitching thread. There are other sizes you can use, but the #16 size will work for most of the garments you'll be making from drawers, to frock coats. Color choice is up to you of course and will depend on the original garment you copied. The thread you use should be waxed to prevent curling and knotting, but this must be done sparingly to avoid staining the fabric or having the wax clump up on you.

The length of the piece of thread you cut will depend on the size of the buttonhole, but you should be able to do most 1" buttonholes with about a yard of thread (this isn't something you want to misjudge).

I usually use a #8 or #9 sized needle. I know some people who use a larger one, but they seem like harpoons to me and the smaller ones usually lend themselves to being more manageable.

STITCHES PER INCH
                            A good hand-worked buttonhole has stitches worked close together, stitches of even depth. The stitches per inch will depend the thickness of the thread you use. I've seen buttonholes with 44 stitches per inch and some with 8 stitches per inch. If you are sewing with a loosely woven material with large yarns like a jean cloth, then you'll actually want to do fewer buttonholes per inch. On a jean jacket, my 1" buttonholes will usually have 55-60 stitches, on broadcloth, they'll have about 70. On utilitarian garments like issue shirts, drawers or shelter halves, you'll have less.

The depth of the stitch again will depend on the fabric. Too deep and you will distort the fabric if you pull tight, too shallow and the stitch will come through the cloth (especially if the fabric doesn't hold a raw edge well).

The regular buttonhole may be horizontal, with a rounded fan-end near the garment edge (where the button rests), and a bar tack at the other end or it may have fans at either end. The directions below will explain how to do the former. To do the later, just skip the bar tack.

Start at bar end. With a knot at thread-end, insert needle into right side of fabric about 1/2" from bar end, and bring it out through the slit at that end (30). (The knot will be removed later.) Cover edges with buttonhole stitch (see below), making a fan or a bar tack at ends.

Finish off thread-ends carefully. Clip off the thread used for starting, and pull out the knot.

Buttonhole stitch is worked from right to left, with the needle pointing toward you. Loop the thread as shown (31) and insert needle into slit, bringing it out just below stitching with eye and point over the looped thread.

Draw up needle away from you so that the purl (32) is formed at edge of slit. Do not draw up the thread too tight. The purl is the most difficult thing to learn, I find that while most people can get the stitch down pretty well, they either don't pull tight enough to form the purl, or pull to tight and the purl gets distorted.

The fan is worked around the end as shown. Keep stitch-depth even and turn gradually (33).

The bar tack is made by taking two stitches at buttonhole end, across both rows, and then working over these threads with blanket stitch without catching the fabric. Use the needle eye-first, as shown (34). Then put the needle through to wrong side.

CORDING?
                            If you are cording your buttonholes, take a piece of size 12" thread and place it under the stitch. The cording will help to give your buttonhole some form and keep it's shape.

So, how did you all do with your first buttonholes? Very Good? Not so good? I say practice, practice, practice. You don't want to practice on that nice new coat your making and it's better to spend the rest of the winter working on practice buttonholes to insure your garment's finishing touches are perfect.

I hope these tips have helped and if anyone has questions, please post them here so we all can see the answers.......

Comment

Here's a button hole from the MacRae shirt (EOG: Confederate) in the NC Museum.
                              Attached Files
                              Edward Watson
                              Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
                              You can never do more,
                              You should never wish to do less."
                              -Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X