Examining Repro Buttonholes (CS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Examining Repro Buttonholes (CS)

To comment about the buttonhole chisel, I have found that you need to make sure the chisel is kept sharp and that the wood you use to cut into (underside of hole) has to not have any cuts in it. And what I mean by that is make sure the chisel is going down into a spot on the wood that does not have a cut in it already. If you go into another cut you won't always cut all the fibers and then have to deal with stragglers. Also, make sure you press down hard and actually cut the fabric. Once used to it (which doesn't take long) you can feel when this happens.
    Merry Christmas
    Kurt Loewe
    Botsford Mess
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Nick,

Very good points! I think there are folks out there that just want "a nice jacket" and want to take a crack at it themselves.

What you mention, if I understand correctly, really takes reproduction clothing to the next level, where the 21st Century maker studies an original garment and tries to understand the process used by the 19th Century maker in order to make a true "Replica" (if I am applying that term correctly). So, yes, one should not be using the same techniques to make a buttonhole for a RD jacket, a civilian vest, or an officer's frock.

I wish I had the time to truly study period techniques of pattern making, contstruction, etc. However, I just sew in my spare time for enjoyment (and it saves more than a little dough). For me, I find that I always know more at the end of a project than I did at the beginning... sometimes leaving me wishing I could just start the whole darned thing over!

Good points... Good post.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've made some buttonholes for my own uniforms and have always had the same problem. When I start stitching the hole, I have trouble getting the first knot to fall along the edge of the hole. For some reason, that first knot wants to form where the needle comes through the cloth. What am I doing wrong?
        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Bill,

How are you pulling on the needle and thread?

Not that I am an expert, but pull it away from the edge of the slit (on the same plane)when the needle clears the fabric, not towards you.

Hope this little suggestion helps.

Kindest Regards,
          [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
          Dirigo Grays
          CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
          Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Here are button holes from 2 repro jackets I have.
            I would appreciate feedback/ comments on them.
            This is a great topic.
            Thank you
            Bob Brewer
            Attached Files
            Robert Brewer

Comment

I wanted to share this great video for sewing tailored buttonholes:
              I've been asked about my buttonholes a few times, mainly by people wanting to know how to do them. There's a good set of printed instructio...
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X