Whitworth rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitworth rifle

Currently there is an original Whitworth rifle for sale on a gun auction sight. I'm not connected to the sale of this rifle in any way but I thought I would publish the pics as it appears in pretty decent shape. I particuarly like the sights with the "H C" on the sliding bar and the muzzle showing the Whitworth hexagonal bore.

Mods if this isn't in the right location feel free to move it!

If anybody is interested here is the auction sight. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=88121876
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Prodical Reb; 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Re: Whitworth rifle

That's a pretty gun, but it's not the type that was used in the WBTS, as the ad says. (But of course, if this were a CONFEDERATE Whitworth, it would be worth a LOT more, so might as well imply that in the ad.) This gun is a Pattern 1863 Government Whitworth, made by the RSAF-Enfield for limited testing and use in the British military. That sort of gun was not sold to exporters who could have sent it to America during 1861-65. Note the Government RSAF proofs and ENFIELD marking on the lockplate.

"Hot & Cold sight" - that's a funny one - I never heard that one before. The "H" side was for firing the Whitworth hexagonal bullet that fitted the bore, while the "C" side was for firing the .442 cylindical patched bullet (the trajectories being different for each).

Geoff Walden

Comment

Re: Whitworth rifle

Mike,
      If you check Shotgun News you'll find advertising from (I think it's) IMA listing some flintlock, percussion and early cartridge weapons that were supplied by the British to the Nepalese. If I remember correctly they had some Whitworths listed, but as thier supply has gone down, so has what is listed in the advertising.
      Kevin Baker; aka, mobluegraysoldier

Comment

Working...
      X