Period shovel research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Period shovel research

Interested in researching shovels for your Pioneer impression? A good place to start is Stonehill College Industrial History Center-Archives & Special Collections which houses the Ames Shovel Collection. This group consists of 755 antique shovels and 1000 related objects dating from 1774 to the present. Possibly the largest collection of shovels in the world. See a sample of pictures at: www.stonehill.edu/sihc/Pictures/shovels.htm.
    This is the mother lode of shovels available for research, so dig in.
    [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
    [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
    16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
    22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
    &
    [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
    4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Re: Period shovel research

Thank you for posting this...it is a very valuable link.

Comment

Anyone done any research as to what type(s) of shovels the Federal Army bought during the war and who they contracted to make them?

Kent Dorr
      "Devils Own Mess"

Comment

There was a thread on Szabo's forum circa 2000 that discussed this at length. AMES was a major major contractor for D Ring handled shovels.....originals are in the museum cited in the opening of this thread (also in the lobby of Ames headquarters itself). I contacted Ames about possibly making x,000 and they weren't interested.....auctions, antiques, and scrounging around old barns were cited as the best sources for extent originals. Ames turns out to be a 'friend' of Lincoln.....am sure 'politics', contributions, and contracts let played a major part in this 'friendship'....

Like the M-1, entrenching tool, Jeep, deuce and a half truck, and Higgins landing craft in WWII, Ames shovels were one of the major weapons in the American Civil War.....

Wood handles, iron blades (not steel).
        RJ Samp
        (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
        Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

The Camp Chase Gazette ran a series of articles in the recent past on tools/implements used by the US military during the CW. It had both the written specs, dates of manufacture, list of manufacturers, and drawings of the tools. Some of the tools look very much like what can be procured today, and modified to look like the originals with minimumal effort.

Kevin Baker; aka, mobluegraysoldier

Comment

If you go to this link and scroll down they have some reproduction shovel heads.

Thanks,

Mark C. Foster
            Flint, Mi

Comment

Thanx for the input -- I'm going to a "Cabin Fever" antique show this weekend and will be looking for this type of shovel. Never know what you might find -- I paid $20 for a G.A.R. "3rd battalion" membership pin that I now find out is worth much, much more.
              Paul
              Can You Dig It Platoon
              Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul,

You will find the average price about $35.00 to $55.00 at most anique sales/shops. Occaisionally you can get a great deal. (I had gotten one for $5.00 and another for $4.00) If it is a weekend deal the best time for deals is on Sunday - they don't want to take any more stock home than the have too!

Crabby
                Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

1865 Russel and Erwin catalog. Not sure if contractor shovels would be any different.
                  Rick Bailey
                  Melodian Banjoist from Allendale and Founder of Waffle Schnapps.

Comment

My understanding is that there was an iron ring used to hold the shovel head to the handle. Looking on Jim Mayo's website, he notes that there was an iron ring found on the D-handle to one of the shovels. Does anyone now how this ring was attached? Did it have a rivet through it similar to modern handles or was it just really tight and probably hammered down over the top of the shovel head?
                    Luke Gilly
                    Breckinridge Greys
                    Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Luke: The iron ring was attached to the wood handle on the artillery shovel to hold it in place during movement. I don't know how it was attached but based on other general period methods I would suspect it had some sort of clamp holding it on.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Working...
                      X