Which type of paper be used to make your cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which type of paper be used to make your cartridges

Which type of paper be used to make your cartridges?
    Everything is in the title of the subject.:)
    I use an ecru recycled paper with weak grammage (I do not know how you measure that in the USA?) us, us speak in gram by square centimeter (g/cm2) but I am maybe, certainly even, in the error :(
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Re: Which type of paper be used to make your cartridges

I use the end rolls of newsprint paper that you can get any local newspaper. I payed a dollar for a whole roll of paper that I can get thousands of cartridges out of. The paper is a light tan color very close to that of orginals.

Dan
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

I make that so from time to time, We have end of rollers like that for my work, which we use to pack the rollers of posters or programs of the entertainments, show, etc.
      You are right I find that very also...
      William Miconnet
      French Mess
      AES
      BGR & IPW Survivor
      Never ever give up!
      I believe!

Comment

Hallo!

Back in ye olde Daze, we had rolls of some kind of unreated/unwaxed" "butcher paper a lad who worked at a super marker chain had found. It had the pale off-white/yellowish look of Period papers.

But that was many years ago and he passed away.

Now, I use the 3M Masking brand paper sold at many U.S. hardware stores and hardware-department store sections, as well as paint shops likes Sherwin -Williams. Although a wee bit too darkish brownish yellow, it is "within the range" of the darker range of CW wrapping papers... kinda/sorta/mostly.

I have found newsprint to be of a better color, but stiffer, thinner, and more brittle than Period papers due to being pulp and not rag paper.

And last but not least, some lads "crinkle" and "rough up" the Masking paper and then iron or press it, to turn the smooth "pulp" type finish just a wee but more "textured" as are CW era cartridge papers versus the flat and "
        "slick"' look of pulp paper.

If not a matter of cost, the "most authentic" substitute paper is still available but at a
        $2+ or so (last time I looked was years ago) price per 8 X 10 sheet- few lads go for it. And that is true "rag" or "cloth" paper still used by calligraphers, artists, and some consumers from specialty shops where fine papers, pens, and inks are sold.

C'est vrai...

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Je te crois!
          I believe in you!:wink_smil
          William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          I believe!

Comment

I have in front of me what's left of a box of ivory-colored "resume" paper - made of 100% cotton rag, from Southworth Company -- which I picked up at a Staples store here in California. It was (I am trying to remember) maybe $12.00 for a box of 100 sheets (8.5 in. x 11.5 in.). I have used it for several printing projects so far (CW period forms, etc.), but have not yet tried it for cartridges (plan to giv it a whirl, though). It is heavier than blank "newsprint" (which I typically use for cartridges), and more expensive, too, but cheaper than the $2.00/sheet Curt refers to. I suspect Curt is talking about some really top-drawer, linen-rag paper.
            Dan Munson
            Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
            5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

I use news print paper out of my sketch pads. They generally are fairly cheap to purchase and have about a hundred sheets in them. Plus you can get them in different sizes, not just the standard paper sizes.
              Matthew S. Laird
              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
              [/COLOR]
              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I use that, you think of it what?
                I do not know if scans him is good …
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Munson View Post
                  I have in front of me what's left of a box of ivory-colored "resume" paper - made of 100% cotton rag, from Southworth Company -- which I picked up at a Staples store here in California. It was (I am trying to remember) maybe $12.00 for a box of 100 sheets (8.5 in. x 11.5 in.). I have used it for several printing projects so far (CW period forms, etc.), but have not yet tried it for cartridges (plan to giv it a whirl, though). It is heavier than blank "newsprint" (which I typically use for cartridges), and more expensive, too, but cheaper than the $2.00/sheet Curt refers to. I suspect Curt is talking about some really top-drawer, linen-rag paper.

You have a photo of this paper, I find that interesting, especially with the report €/$
                  William Miconnet
                  French Mess
                  AES
                  BGR & IPW Survivor
                  Never ever give up!
                  I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcouioui View Post
                    Which type of paper be used to make your cartridges?
                    Everything is in the title of the subject.:)
                    I use an ecru recycled paper with weak grammage (I do not know how you measure that in the USA?) us, us speak in gram by square centimeter (g/cm2) but I am maybe, certainly even, in the error :(
                    I usually don't answer military questions but we do have in stock a book on making cartridges in the military books section of our web page. The author compared original cartridge paper to modern papers and discussed the best modern substitute for the original paper.

I tried several different kinds when I was experimenting with making waxed paper according to period instructions and they called for cartridge paper.
                    Virginia Mescher
                    vmescher@vt.edu
                    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

I also use blank newsprint. My source for it is 36"x36" sheets sold at Staples in packeges of 50 for $4.50.
                      The only problem I have is if I pull the choke cord to tight or to fast I cut the end of the cartridge off.
                      Russell L. Stanley
                      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
                      Co.A 45th Mississippi
                      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
                      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

I get mine from a Andy Smith.They are fairly in-expensive and work fairly well.Plus,I don't have modern news printed on it.
                        Cullen Smith
                        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

While I have used newsprint in the past, I'm a little curious as to the name "cartridge paper" I have noitced this descriptive term in a couple of period books on draftting that I have copies of. Even though the subject was on the different types and sized of paper used for drafting work, one of the paper types was called "cartridge paper". Anybody out there have any info on this?
                          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Cullen, the newspaper that I am using does not have print on it. It is the end of the roll that is left over on the printers. They are just blank paper.
                            Dan Chmelar
                            Semper Fi
                            -ONV
                            -WIG
                            -CIR!

Comment

I always assumed that the original cartridge material was a fairly stout linen based paper. One thing that I noticed with authentic reproduction cartridges of all varities is the fact that folks tend to forget that on some of the cartridges used the paper was lubed on over the projectile due to the fact that the paper was used as a patch and was not completely discarded when loaded. That would necessitate a stronger paper. The cartridges using the pritchett bullets that were loaded by the British are a perfect example of this. The fact that the British shot an enfield over 16,000 times without cleaning has been mentioned in several books and I have seen mentoin of it on several web pages and threads as well. On some of the original british cartridges that are in better condition you can still see the remnant of the lube.

I believe that the buck and ball cartridges were also lubed around the projectiles. Why else would they load the paper tube with the smaller shot first, then the larger projectile as you would want it to rest in the bore. This might explain why the accounts of soldiers having to butt their ramrods against trees. Though they do not specify in their accounts, I theorize that they were discarding their cartridge paper and loading the projectiles without the benefit of the lubed "patch" created by the paper around them. So when they fired, the excess carbon would not be cleaned out of the bore by the patch, resulting in more fouling to the point that the weapon would be completely fouled after a few shots. 10-20 shots is what I have commonly read about. I would be the first to concede that my theory about the buck and ball cartridges could be wrong, I have not seen any signs of lube or remnants thereof on any of the original buck and ball cartridges that I have seen, although most that I have seen are in pretty bad shape.

I conducted an experiment with lubed Burton bullets vs unlubed bullets. After twenty unlubed bullets, my rifle was so fouled that I could not ram a ball home no matter what I did. The lubed bullets performed a bit better with fouling becoming a real problem after about thirty rounds. I used the 60/40 beeswax crisco lube method for those bullets. I theorize that if the bullet was patched it would have done even better due to the fact that a more considerable portion of the fouling would have been swabbed out by the patch.
                              Matthew S. Laird
                              [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                              [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                              Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                              [/COLOR]
                              [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X