authentic camp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• authentic camp...

Hi to all and happy new year from France !

I'l looking for sketch of tents camp during the CW ( our event is a spring training camp in the rear of lines , place : Kentucky 1862...)

I' m looking for the arrangement of tents, place of officer tent (did the NCO , sergeants, 1st sergeant, have tent for them or were with the men ? ), guard tent, "hospital" tent ...
    possible visitor tent (like sanitary commission, or sutlers... )

all informations is and drawings are welcome !

thanks to you

P.Ailliot
    20th Maine co K
    CWRT of France

Re: authentic camp...

Hi.
    I believe that Hardee's Simplified has what you are looking for.
    Hope this is right.
    William Feuchtenberger

Comment

There Is an excellent diagram of camps In the newest edition of The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium. Unfortunately though, I do not have a scanner. Will you be at the Chickasaw Bayou event next weekend? If so I will just bring the book to that to show you if noone else can help.
      -Rob Williams
      Ft. Delaware State Park
      Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
      p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Comment

I believe that Patrick will not be there the next weekend Gerald, but you can show your book and we shall make sketches :wink_smil
        William Miconnet
        French Mess
        AES
        BGR & IPW Survivor
        Never ever give up!
        In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
        I believe!

Comment

Good idea Mcouioui !!!

Thank you Gerald , unfortunely, I'll be not at the "Chickasaw bayou " event next week ...

(si j'avais su, j'aurai posté direct sur le forum du CCFF !!!)

it's a small , small world ...

P.Ailliot
          20th Maine Co K
          CWRT of France

Comment

If you have them available, you may want to refer to references such as the US Army Regs of the period, and handbooks like William Craighill's "Army Officer's Pocket Companion" and Dan Butterfield's handbook on camp and field life. Diagrams are in one or more of those works, showing the theory of how it was "supposed" to be done.

Comment

Working...
            X