Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tentpole issue ?

hello

it seems there is somewhere here a discussion about tentpole issue but I can't find it ...

I' ve seen the discussion about shelter tentpoles, but for A or wall tent ?

thanks for your help in this matter ...

Patrick Ailliot
    20th Maine co K
    CWRT of France

Re: tentpole issue ?

First, I think you might have started the thread in the wrong location. If you are asking someone to help you with a modern tent pole issue you should request the Mods to move it to the sinks or correct location.

Second, I am not sure what your issue is, could you explain it a little better.
    Thanks
    Daniel MacInnis
    Adair Guards
    Commonwealth Grays
    [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Wrong website. It's on the CW Reenactor's Forum:

Lynn Kessler
      Co. C
      Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
      The Southern Division

Comment

ok, I explain a little more ...

We don't want to see modern tentpoles in camps , it's easy for shelters but not really for the others sort of tents so,
        I would like to know if the army issued A tent and wall tents with tentpoles or not .
        in the first case what sort of tentoples were issued ? manufactured tentpoles ? or looking like handmades ?
        Did the soldiers made tentpoles themselves ?
        I don't think it 's not an authenticity problem and I think I'm on the right forum !
        Thank you !

P.Ailliot
        20th Maine co K
        CWRT of France

Comment

While this thread may better belong in the Camp of Instruction folder:

Yes, tent poles were issued with the tents, and carried in the baggage wagons with those tents while on campaign. They were manufactured to proper lengths, with galvanized metal bands at the ends and metal pins which inserted into the ridge pole to support it. Indications are that they were painted wood, but that is not totally clear, I believe. The ridge pole appears to have been rectangular in cross section, while the uprights were octagonal.

There is an instructive article on Common tents in the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium, 2nd Edition, which can be purchased at the present time. It is an excellent reference for such questions, on a large number of subjects.

I have no information on wall tents, but suspect that they also had manufactured poles, etc., included in the issue of the item, as it makes no sense not to include them.
          Bernard Biederman
          30th OVI
          Co. B
          Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
          Outpost III

Comment

thank you very much for this answer Bernard !

P.Ailliot
            20th Maine co K
            CWRT of France

Comment

When I did my last great tent trade and what purports to be my final upgrade :rolleyes:(translation: I sold or traded all the tents used to house young folks and other folks and got down to housing only me and my fiber processing gear), I went to the octagonal poles for both the wedge tent and the free-standing fly, and finished all with an oil stain.

What I could not locate was a proper metal band for the top of the poles. I've seen one Span-Am period pole with a band on top, but nothing earlier. Anyone got a clue on the proper treatment here?
              Terre Hood Biederman
              Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
              Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Working...
              X