• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: appt. BG

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

Lads...

Some of the replies here, whether intentional or not, have Crossed the Lines and violated the No Farbism Rule with decidely "them versus us," "militant farbism" defense, and
    "Big Bad Hardcores" themes.

The AC Forum is "The Authentic Campaigner- a Web Site For The Authentic Civil War Living Historian."

And this is the Authenticity Discussion Folder.

While any impression can be "done" authenticially, as a general observation of our Hobby "specialty impressions" are often poorly done and the refuge of extremely History-Light lads and so come under scrutiny and scorn. Staff and field general rank often being higher on the list for the "buy the boards" at Sutlers' Row and "be" an instant colonel or general.

The topic and questions may be entirely valid, but they come heavily "pre-tainted" with some of the worse our Hobby has to put forth; and at times those perceptions, previous negative experiences, farcces, and disasters come from the type of events the AC Forum does not endorse or support.

Curt
    Not Knowledgeable or Experienced Enough To Be a General Himself but Others May Be Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I wish anyone luck who tries to authentically recreate their ancestor. I would caution you of the pictures however. I noticed a furled flag in the background and also the "parlor" look in the other. It is entirely possible that those pictures were taken at a photo booth and were staged (i.e. wearing props). Setting up pictures (wounded sharpshooter at gettysburg) and dressing up in fancy clothes for CDV's etc was a very common practice. I agree with an earlier post however...if you have the pic in a box, what can they argue against the authenticity as long as the uniform is properly constructed?
      Luke Gilly
      Breckinridge Greys
      Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

From zooming in and looking at the boards they appear to me to be the bird rank. That is all I have to offer.

In History
        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="2"][I]Shawn Dyer
        1st OVI Co. A
        Lancaster Guards[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by WestTN_reb View Post
          Fair enough. No harm in constructive criticism, but we must be careful that it's not taken the wrong way.
          Why?

Why shouldn't posters be on guard that their questions aren't mistaken for something they're not? It seems so in vogue in some quarters to bitch-slap the folks who provide information, because they supposedly aren't doing it "nicely enough".

Comment

Hallo!

Moderator hat on...

"...if you have the pic in a box, what can they argue against the authenticity as long as the uniform is properly constructed?"

Time to move on.

The standard for impressions is generally held to be the Triad or "Three Legged Stool" of Civil War Era material culture, the physical and mental man, and environment/activities as a whole.

The SEARCH feaure can be used to further explore the concepts and practices of the Authenticity Triad.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
            X