Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1853 Enfield Bluing or Not?

Hello all,
    I just purchased a de-farbed euro arms 1853 Enfield recently. The weapon has been burnished silver, and some original parts have been added. I have tried to research the topic of CORRECT bluing, and so far have come up with this.

To my understanding there is a VERY obvious difference between what is correct bluing, and what isn't. I have seen original examples that look like at one point there may have been some form of bluing, and I have also seen original examples that look like they have always been just burnished silver, like a Springfield.

My question is what is the correct form of bluing? When did it take place? and Which armory did it, or did it the most? and What is the story on the so called burnished silver Enfield?

If anyone Knows of any book, website & c, that can explain this, please send the information my way.

Thanks to all,
    Matt Sternad

Re: 1853 Enfield Bluing or Not?

The answers to your questions are reasonably long and involved. A forum search for "enfield blueing" on this forum will give you all the information you need or probably ever want to know. You just have to search through the posts. I would suggest you start with the Monster Enfield post since one of your questions is answered on the second page. If by some chance you don't find the answer to your question, at least you will be able to get real specific on your next question.
    Last edited by Jimmayo; 01-25-2008, 01:40 PM.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thank you kindly, will read through the posts.

Best,
      Matt Sternad

Comment

Here is a good article on the subject:

Best regards, Bill.
        Bill Treadway
        Co. A First Texas Infantry
        Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
        Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Comment

Jim:

You are just being cruel. :D
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

Oh, alright... ;) :) :)

Not to stop the SEARCH research going on, but in brief and to over-generalize:

My question is what is the correct form of bluing? When did it take place? and Which armory did it, or did it the most? and What is the story on the so called burnished silver Enfield?

As produced, the P1853, Third Model "Enfield" had a rust-blued barrel and heat-blued barrel bands.

For the typical "American" import, it took place at a number of Birmingham Small Arms Trade, London commercial, firms and to lesser extent at the firm of the London Armoury Company. (RSAF being omitted for briefness.)

The two U.S. armories, Springfield and Harpers Ferry did not produce the P1853 "Enfield."

There were no "burnished silver" Enfields. Your search and research will do better with "struck bright" or "struck armory bright" type wordings. Those that were, had the color finishes on the barrels, barrel bands, lockplates, and hammers polished off and left bare metal bright.

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Hello,

This question is for the gun-tinker types. Can a heat blue be generated with a common propane tourch. Also, how do you "cure" this finish once it is achieved. Thanks.

Benjamin McGee

Comment

Hallo!

In brief and to over-generalize...

There is basically two types of "heat bluing." And yes, a propane torch can work for the one, but not so well for the other.

As iron/steel is heated, it undergoes a color change as the temperature increases. One of the changes is "blue." Heat the polished or smooth metal to the necessary temperature and the "blue" appears.
                This was used on finer gun barrels, and particularly on highly polished, high end sword blades- the blue blade making a nice contrast with bare silver or added gold work. This was typically done in a furnace where the temperature and exposure could be better controlled

The other is heat-bluing by quenching in either oil or water. The item is heated, say cherry or orange and plunged into a bath of oil. This produces a "blue" that is black (a side discussion as the American term "bluing" is often the same as the British term "blackening.") The "black" rear sights on the M1861 9and others) were done this way.

A propane torch will work, but if blackening in oil, do it outside as makes a nice cloud of thick oil smoke... I often use the burner on my Coleman stove.

Nothing needs done to "cure" it.

Curt
                Curt Schmidt
                In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                -Vastly Ignorant
                -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

This topic is like Deja Vu, all over again.

Cheers ya'll
                  Robert Wiseman
                  Robert Wiseman

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained." Walt Disney

Comment

Topic is definitely a repeat but is it not of the purpose of these forums to pass the knowledge to those who don't know. Seems to me a lot of topics can bear occasional repeating. - Bob Herr

Comment

"Topic is definitely a repeat but is it not of the purpose of these forums to pass the knowledge to those who don't know. Seems to me a lot of topics can bear occasional repeating. - Bob Herr"

Mr. Herr, I don't even own an Enfield, but I could tell you all about the dang thangs from reading the amazing amount of information offered right on this website.

READ THE DOCUMENTATION SO GENEROUSLY OFFERED IN THE RESEARCH SECTIONS.

Then, start a "new" thread.

And no, the purpose is NOT to pass the knowledge, it is to offer it.

Goat
                      Can we Please not do this again?

Comment

Working...
                      X